A better flashlight shortcut is needed

Mrdouglas

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
You're a freakin' life saver! I coming from 6 years of Moto Android phones and the lack of karate chop flashlight was bugging me to no end. Active edge and lumos/nox is a perfect solution for me, thank you!
Just need to figure out how to activate it from the lock screen. It keeps requiring a passcode. Would like it as seamless as the chop. Hmm.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Just need to figure out how to activate it from the lock screen. It keeps requiring a passcode. Would like it as seamless as the chop. Hmm.

Flashlight LED Genius works from lock screen and I activate mine with a chop..... Just sayin. Sorry to rehash my original answer. Couldn't resist. 😁

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
LED genius isn't working for me. Is there some setting I'm missing?

It only works when the app is open. Help. I miss Moto gestures so much.

LED Genius only works when you are in the lockscreen so you need to activate the lockscreen first. So with your phone locked and the screen off you:

• Press the power button to turn on the screen (but don't unlock the device)
  • Do the chop to turn on the light (adjust sensitivity in the app)
  • Do the chop to turn off the light.

Note that unlocking the device (going to your homescreen) will turn off the flashlight.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
The best flashlight shortcut I've seen is the iPhone x one where you force touch the lock screen it's fantastic. This is one case where I want Google to copy Apple lol.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I've never seen a flashlight shortcut argument before. ;p

You give up all kinds of little conveniences when you move from one manufacturer to another. It is the blessing and curse that is Android. I would like better theming on the Pixel, similar to what Samsung and LG has (the only other manufs I have experience with). The flashlight access on the Pixel is the same as on the Samsungs and LGs I have owned. If you want a consistent experience across multiple devices check out the offerings being discussed on this site: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone.99/ ;p

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
LED Genius only works when you are in the lockscreen so you need to activate the lockscreen first. So with your phone locked and the screen off you:

• Press the power button to turn on the screen (but don't unlock the device)
  • Do the chop to turn on the light (adjust sensitivity in the app)
  • Do the chop to turn off the light.

Note that unlocking the device (going to your homescreen) will turn off the flashlight.

Yesssssss thank you.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
the chop for flashlight was one of my favorite features on the Moto. but I've adapted to squeeze and flashlight on. not as quick but works just as well

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Hey all,

Was reading this thread and since I'm a Harry Potter fan myself I was excitees to try, "Lumos" and "Nox".....well to my dissapointment it doesn't work. So I searched and according to Redditt....something changed....please see my screenshots off my phone on what it does. Deep sigh....

Anyone have any info on this not working....
e92b38e7480a8d60d9135f5a803c4720.jpg
9bbad1f63de859ce41a26e331b6024c2.jpg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Was reading this thread and since I'm a Harry Potter fan myself I was excitees to try, "Lumos" and "Nox".....well to my dissapointment it doesn't work. So I searched and according to Redditt....something changed....please see my screenshots off my phone on what it does. Deep sigh....

Anyone have any info on this not working....//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/e92b38e7480a8d60d9135f5a803c4720.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/9bbad1f63de859ce41a26e331b6024c2.jpg

You're right it doesn't work anymore. If you say nox it comes up with a graphic that allows you to toggle it on or off though that's weird.

You can still use assistant to say flashlight on or off though.

Luke18

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
You're right it doesn't work anymore. If you say nox it comes up with a graphic that allows you to toggle it on or off though that's weird.

You can still use assistant to say flashlight on or off though.
Hope they fix it, casue I'm a huge HP fan and know that I have an Android device I'm excited to use that by saying...Lumos and Nox!

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What the heck! As sad as it is, that was a selling point for me.

Edit: Submitted feedback through the Settings app. Hopefully a warm body actually reads those.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm