A better flashlight shortcut is needed

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I came over from the Motorola Droid Turbo 2. I understand this is a different company that provided different options for how to use its phones, but if you held your Turbo 1 or Turbo 2 phone, and did the "Karate Chop" motion, the flashlight would turn on. Do it again, and it turned off. No need to navigate a menu, turn it on, and navigate again to turn it off. It was really easy to use and I really made a big use of it.

Sadly, I don't see that option with the new Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. I wish it existed somehow. If you press the power button twice, the camera turns on, and I had that shortcut on the Turbo 2 as well. But no flashlight shortcut.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I came over from the Motorola Droid Turbo 2. I understand this is a different company that provided different options for how to use its phones, but if you held your Turbo 1 or Turbo 2 phone, and did the "Karate Chop" motion, the flashlight would turn on. Do it again, and it turned off. No need to navigate a menu, turn it on, and navigate again to turn it off. It was really easy to use and I really made a big use of it.

Sadly, I don't see that option with the new Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. I wish it existed somehow. If you press the power button twice, the camera turns on, and I had that shortcut on the Turbo 2 as well. But no flashlight shortcut.

Swipe down once from the notification menu, press flashlight icon....not very difficult.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Swipe down once from the notification menu, press flashlight icon....not very difficult.

Apparently you've never used a recent Motorola device. Yes, swiping down and hitting the button is easy, as is the voice command. But dang, the Motorola gesture commands were amazing and super convenient.

I was hoping that when Google kept all those Moto patents they'd being some of that stuff to the pixels. One big thing I miss from my Moto Xs and force.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Apparently you've never used a recent Motorola device. Yes, swiping down and hitting the button is easy, as is the voice command. But dang, the Motorola gesture commands were amazing and super convenient.

I was hoping that when Google kept all those Moto patents they'd being some of that stuff to the pixels. One big thing I miss from my Moto Xs and force.
Sorry not true and not a fair assumption based on my post....I've owned many Motorola devices. In fact except for the last few phones which I've changed very often in the last year and a half I previously only had Motorola devices and I'm well aware of their shortcuts. I would probably still be with Motorola if they were still Motorola or if Google still owned them.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think you misunderstood the entire point.
No I didn't misunderstand... I was merely pointing that it's not that difficult to turn on the flashlight in case you were somehow doing it differently and for the benefit of others who read these posts.
Sadly for you, the type of features you are used to do not exist on Google phones. That is not their focus.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I use an app called Flashlight LED Genius to get that shake to turn on Flashlight gesture. It's free and ad supported, but only displays ads while you are configuring how hard you want to shake the phone to activate your Flashlight. Once you have that set, it no longer displays ads not use any data.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
It could be that a gesture activated launch of the flashlight will be possible in the future. The squeeze functionality provides an opportunity to launch the flashlight, as demonstrated on the HTC U 11. I used the squeeze extensively for this purpose when I owned the HTC - it was convenient. Maybe this feature will be activated in the future....

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned by another user, I use Flashlight LED Genius also. Has been on my last few Android phones and works great. I just push the lock button, shake the phone, and on comes the flashlight. A quick shake of the phone again will turn it off. Works great. I can also see where OK Google or squeezing the phone would be just as handy. But, I'm used to the shaking motion to turn the light on with my Pixel 2.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned by another user, I use Flashlight LED Genius also. Has been on my last few Android phones and works great. I just push the lock button, shake the phone, and on comes the flashlight. A quick shake of the phone again will turn it off. Works great. I can also see where OK Google or squeezing the phone would be just as handy. But, I'm used to the shaking motion to turn the light on with my Pixel 2.
Over 11MB download size for a flashlight app. No thanks.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
What are "lumos" and "nox"? I say "flashlight on" and "flashlight off" to turn mine on & off.

It's a Harry Potter thing.

"If you want to try being a wizard, try casting spells on your Android phone: Just say “Ok Google” followed by “Lumos” or “Nox” to turn your flashlight on and off. Try “Silencio” to silence the ringer and notifications."