Pixel 2 XL - the last 1% charge from 99% to 100% taking forever?

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I know slow charging has been a common issue for the 2 XLs. Has anyone noticed the charge being stuck at 99% for a long time before reaching the 100% full charge? That last 1% seems to take forever.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know slow charging has been a common issue for the 2 XLs. Has anyone noticed the charge being stuck at 99% for a long time before reaching the 100% full charge? That last 1% seems to take forever.

If it doesn't get to 100 or takes forever try a full discharge and recharge. It might recalibrate the battery

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Will try this, thanks!
No, don't do that. Fully discharging the battery is not good for it.

Use your phone as usual. When you are going to fully charge it, power the phone down, then plug it into the charger for several hours. If you can't be without your phone for several hours do this overnight.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No, don't do that. Fully discharging the battery is not good for it.

Use your phone as usual. When you are going to fully charge it, power the phone down, then plug it into the charger for several hours. If you can't be without your phone for several hours do this overnight.

It's only a problem if you do that all the time

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's only a problem if you do that all the time
Yeah... An isolated full charge like that will not be a problem. Sometimes you need to give the thing a little kick.

Google configured the charging to be extremely conservative... They start ramping down charge speed around 65%. They've made plenty of choices that value extending the life of the battery over speeding up charging... And one of the biggest examples is speed of charge once you get above 90%.

This won't be something we'll see for another year or so, but I bet you there will be fewer Pixel 2s with tired batteries next year.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will help, but I reboot my phone once a day as a matter of course(or habit) It boots so fast, not much of a downside...The XL I have has no issue getting to 100%. Also tho I rarely use the fast charger it came with, its just not in a convenient place and mostly I charge in the car. So maybe not using the fast charger is why I get to 100%.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, fast charging had long since been dropped when you are up near full charge. Even the fastest charging phone has eased up on the throttle as it approaches full.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I used the phone to 67% then started charging. So I noticed it charged quickly to 96% from 67%. But it slowed considerably at 98%. It is taking a long time from 98% on now. It is now at 99%. Sounds like this is purposeful and not a defect then?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this will help, but I reboot my phone once a day as a matter of course(or habit) It boots so fast, not much of a downside...The XL I have has no issue getting to 100%. Also tho I rarely use the fast charger it came with, its just not in a convenient place and mostly I charge in the car. So maybe not using the fast charger is why I get to 100%.
Doesn't Pixel have the automated restart thing? Samsungs have that automated reboot once a week. I set it to 2am Sundays so I don't notice it even happened. Or is that a TouchWiz thing and not stock Android?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Mine also take a bit longer to charge from 99 to 100% but on the flip side it also holds a charge longer going down from 100% to 99%.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The phone will trickle-charge the last few %, and when it hits 100%, it will turn off the charge, and re-charge when it dips down to 99% again. This is protecting your battery, since batteries do not like heat nor do they like being charged constantly. The best thing you can do for your battery is keep it charged in the mid-range, but I realize that isn't always going to be possible or convenient.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Pixel have the automated restart thing?

Nope. Never had it on any Nexus or Pixel that I've ever seen. Sort of fitting that Samsung would sneak in a reboot on people, if that's the case.

Until I rebooted to load the second dev preview my 2 XL had been up for 9 days without so much as a sniff of a memory related issue.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Never had it on any Nexus or Pixel that I've ever seen. Sort of fitting that Samsung would sneak in a reboot on people, if that's the case.

Until I rebooted to load the second dev preview my 2 XL had been up for 9 days without so much as a sniff of a memory related issue.
It's optional on Samsung though. I just found it on my S7 while exploring. I just turned it on for kicks. Lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12