Google Assistant unlocks phone only some of the time

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Hello all! As the title of this thread reflects, my Google Assistant unlocks my Pixel 2 XL only about half of the time. I typically use the fingerprint scanner to unlock my phone, but when GA doesn't unlock it, the pin screen appears. I then have to unlock my phone with either my pin code or fingerprint scanner to use GA. I believe my voice settings are set correctly, because it does work sometimes, so I'm not sure why this feature isn't working consistently. I'm running Oreo beta 8.1 as of today but I was having the same issue on the released version of 8.0. I tried searching this issue but didn't find an answer. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all! As the title of this thread reflects, my Google Assistant unlocks my Pixel 2 XL only about half of the time. I typically use the fingerprint scanner to unlock my phone, but when GA doesn't unlock it, the pin screen appears. I then have to unlock my phone with either my pin code or fingerprint scanner to use GA. I believe my voice settings are set correctly, because it does work sometimes, so I'm not sure why this feature isn't working consistently. I'm running Oreo beta 8.1 as of today but I was having the same issue on the released version of 8.0. I tried searching this issue but didn't find an answer. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

In the voice settings did you allow voice to unlock?

matty032

Trusted Member
Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
It's the same on the OG Pixel. I have been fighting this for a year now. GA doesn't half the time realize I am saying OKG. And then it doesn't always unlock.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Where do you find this? "Hey" just makes more sense to me than "Ok" when asking a question or saying a command.

I didn't find it, rather it found me. Just popped up as a prompt. About two weeks after I got my Pixel it popped up and I set it to the hey command. Then had to factory reset and lost it but it popped up again a couple days later. Much preferred over the ok command. Sorry I do not know how to trigger it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't find it, rather it found me. Just popped up as a prompt. About two weeks after I got my Pixel it popped up and I set it to the hey command. Then had to factory reset and lost it but it popped up again a couple days later. Much preferred over the ok command. Sorry I do not know how to trigger it.

Edit: beat me to it. Hope it works for you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

There is a beta update in Google....hoping it fixes it.

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
There is a beta update in Google....hoping it fixes it.
The beta update didn't fix the issue for me, unfortunately. I retrained my voice on Assistant for "okay Google" and "hey Google" and I toggled off and on the appropriate settings but can only unlock my phone with my voice on Google Assistant about half the time.... Maybe less. It's frustrating because it worked great on my Pixel XL.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The beta update didn't fix the issue for me, unfortunately. I retrained my voice on Assistant for "okay Google" and "hey Google" and I toggled off and on the appropriate settings but can only unlock my phone with my voice on Google Assistant about half the time.... Maybe less. It's frustrating because it worked great on my Pixel XL.

Yep just tried it and it doesn't work all the time. I'm sure they'll fix it it's a question of when and who complains

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Okay I figured out what's happening it's losing one or more toggles when you lock down the phone and try to reopen it on the Google settings

I don't know if they come back by themselves but everytime I reset them it works for a bit and then toggles either the say google setting or the screen unlock setting

Attachments

• 4553.jpg
    4553.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12