Hey All,

For some reason, the auto focus during videos seems to be pretty drastic. That is, on my iPhone, I don't seem to remember ever noticing the focus adjusting, but on the Pixel 2 XL, it seems pretty jarring.

Here's what I mean: (jump to the 3:10 mark)

I shoot all my videos in the same fashion, and I never seemed to notice before (all other videos on my channel use the iPhone 7+) . I wonder if setting it on infinite focus would work that close up?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    11-28-2017 08:50 PM
    The only focus problem I noticed around 3|||:10 is that you're bringing something with no edges close to the lens, and the lens was focused on the cup, so there's nothing for the camera to refocus on. (It focuses on edges, not an amorphous blob.

Focusing on infinity would be worse - everything is close enough that it would be out of focus. Assuming a 1.7 f-stop (which is common these days), infinity is about 225 feet to infinity. See Online Depth of Field Calculator to figure out the depth of field for any settings.
    11-30-2017 11:51 AM
    The only focus problem I noticed around 3|||:10 is that you're bringing something with no edges close to the lens, and the lens was focused on the cup, so there's nothing for the camera to refocus on. (It focuses on edges, not an amorphous blob.

Focusing on infinity would be worse - everything is close enough that it would be out of focus. Assuming a 1.7 f-stop (which is common these days), infinity is about 225 feet to infinity. See Online Depth of Field Calculator to figure out the depth of field for any settings.
    OK, thanks I appreciate the feedback and advice.

I just don't remember ever seeing a focus issue in any other video that I made with the iPhone 7 plus.
    12-01-2017 04:55 PM