Android Pay Question

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL. I've been primarily been using Samsung Pay for the past couple of years and today decided to try Android Pay. I'm on the Beta 8.1 Preview 2 on my Pixel and Android Pay works fine but it never asks me to authenticate with my fingerprint when using it. Is this normal for Android Pay to not ask for your fingerprint to complete the payment? I'm just kind of concerned that this might be a security risk if someone would to somehow get a hold of my device and they'll be able to make purchases. All my other apps that utilize my FPS works fine and I've never had any FPS issues. So just wondering if this is normal for Android Pay. TIA

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you unlock your phone with your fingerprint prior to tapping the terminal? the app does not come up asking to verify if your device has already been unlocked with your fingerprint prior to tapping.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Did you unlock your phone with your fingerprint prior to tapping the terminal? the app does not come up asking to verify if your device has already been unlocked with your fingerprint prior to tapping.

Ah, maybe that's it. It was already unlocked. I'm going to test it out later today with my device locked and see if it will prompt me for my fingerprint. I'm so used to Samsung Pay where I have it so it will ask me for every transaction even if unlocked.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah, maybe that's it. It was already unlocked. I'm going to test it out later today with my device locked and see if it will prompt me for my fingerprint. I'm so used to Samsung Pay where I have it so it will ask me for every transaction even if unlocked.
I think the difference between Android pay and Samsung pay is that Android pay is more built into the lower-level workings of the device. When you unlock your device with your fingerprint reader Android pay picks that up as verification and doesn't require you to do it a second time. Now, if you unlocked with your PIN instead of your fingerprint reader that could be a different story? I've never actually unlocked with my pin and then used Android pay, I've always done it with my fingerprint reader.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I think the difference between Android pay and Samsung pay is that Android pay is more built into the lower-level workings of the device. When you unlock your device with your fingerprint reader Android pay picks that up as verification and doesn't require you to do it a second time. Now, if you unlocked with your PIN instead of your fingerprint reader that could be a different story? I've never actually unlocked with my pin and then used Android pay, I've always done it with my fingerprint reader.

Good to know. Thank you.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So I tried it at McDonalds with my Pixel locked and it didn't even prompt for Android Pay. As soon as I unlocked it went right through. So I guess this addresses my security concern so long as my device is locked which I already have it set to lock as soon as I press the power button or when the screen times out.

Guto Aaron

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I have both the Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL. I've been primarily been using Samsung Pay for the past couple of years and today decided to try Android Pay. I'm on the Beta 8.1 Preview 2 on my Pixel and Android Pay works fine but it never asks me to authenticate with my fingerprint when using it. Is this normal for Android Pay to not ask for your fingerprint to complete the payment? I'm just kind of concerned that this might be a security risk if someone would to somehow get a hold of my device and they'll be able to make purchases. All my other apps that utilize my FPS works fine and I've never had any FPS issues. So just wondering if this is normal for Android Pay. TIA

Payments with Android Pay under £20 do not need fingerprint, as long as the phone is unlocked. (Not sure what US limit is, I’m guessing $20)