Shop HP’s Memorial Day Sale:Save up to 61% on PCs and more!
    So I went to Verizon and ditched my iPhone 8+ for the stormtrooper Pixel 2 XL version.

Got home to update the Google camera app through the Google Play store and there was no update for the camera app. Didn't even show the camera app as an installed app.

I went to the Android Authority link where you could download the new camera app but got a prompt that it wasn't available in my country. Really I live in the US.

Read that you could clear the catche and data under the Google Play store in settings - apps. After doing that I restarted my phone and went into Google Play to the three lines and again didn't see the Google camera app to be updated.

I've read that signing into someone else's Google account could show the camera app update in Google Play store and nothing.

I'm getting pissed off and frustrating that a feature on this phone isn't working out of the box and the phone's been out for two months now and nothing is fixed. Please need some help asap
    12-03-2017 09:31 PM
    So I went to Verizon and ditched my iPhone 8+ for the stormtrooper Pixel 2 XL version.

Got home to update the Google camera app through the Google Play store and there was no update for the camera app. Didn't even show the camera app as an installed app.

I went to the Android Authority link where you could download the new camera app but got a prompt that it wasn't available in my country. Really I live in the US.

Read that you could clear the catche and data under the Google Play store in settings - apps. After doing that I restarted my phone and went into Google Play to the three lines and again didn't see the Google camera app to be updated.

I've read that signing into someone else's Google account could show the camera app update in Google Play store and nothing.

I'm getting pissed off and frustrating that a feature on this phone isn't working out of the box and the phone's been out for two months now and nothing is fixed. Please need some help asap
    I would just exchange it since you're in your return period. If not maybe try re-flashing 8.0 or joining the beta.
    12-04-2017 12:30 AM
    I would give it some time. Mine took a little bit to show up when I first got my phone. Set up your phone, use it and see if it doesn't update soon. If not, you should still be within the return window, though I don't think that's the issue, or chat with Google.
    12-04-2017 02:30 AM
    That’s what you get for ditching a phone that works out of the box :P
    12-04-2017 06:22 AM
    give it some time. Google always does a slow rollout on Google apps if you don't have it in a week then consider the alternatives. or contact Google and see if they can force it to your device somehow
    12-04-2017 06:57 AM
    or just call Google like today and find out why it isn't on there. I'm almost positive my pixel 2 had the front facing portrait mode from day 1.
    12-04-2017 06:58 AM

Unless I'm missing something....There is something wrong if the phone has no camera app. You should not have to load it.
    12-04-2017 08:14 AM
    That’s what you get for ditching a phone that works out of the box :P
    But .. my Pixel 2 XL has worked out of the box. I am confused :P.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-04-2017 09:00 AM
    Here's a screen shot of all of my apps on my phone

Front facing portrait not working on Verizon phone-screenshot_20171204-111909.jpgFront facing portrait not working on Verizon phone-screenshot_20171204-111902.jpgFront facing portrait not working on Verizon phone-screenshot_20171204-111842.jpgFront facing portrait not working on Verizon phone-screenshot_20171204-111831.jpg
    12-04-2017 11:21 AM
    I don't remember ever not having this option , also have camera in the play store, sorry no help to you
    This is a Verizon phone just with a Cricket SIM

12-04-2017 11:44 AM
    You are looking in the wrong place. It's not a play store app. Look at your apps in settings.
    12-04-2017 12:24 PM
    Well, I just got creeped out. I had been playing with the front facing camera yesterday and noticed I wasn't getting the portrait mode to work for me. Then just now, I saw this thread on AC. As I was reading it I grabbed my phone to check on what version of the Google camera app I have on my phone (apparently you need v 5.1 to get front camera portrait mode.)

While picking up my phone, I get a notification of a new email. It's an email from Google about taking selfies in portrait mode:

Front facing portrait not working on Verizon phone-screenshot_20171204-122133.jpg

Tried a selfie and it works!

< cue X-Files theme music >
    12-04-2017 12:25 PM
    Settings: Apps and Notiications:
    Attached Thumbnails Front facing portrait not working on Verizon phone-6430.jpg  
    12-04-2017 12:26 PM
    Well, I just got creeped out. I had been playing with the front facing camera yesterday and noticed I wasn't getting the portrait mode to work for me. Then just now, I saw this thread on AC. As I was reading it I grabbed my phone to check on what version of the Google camera app I have on my phone (apparently you need v 5.1 to get front camera portrait mode.)

While picking up my phone, I get a notification of a new email. It's an email from Google about taking selfies in portrait mode:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171204-122133.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	275083

Tried a selfie and it works!

< cue X-Files theme music >
    I don't recall never not having it. I received mine almost a month ago and if my memory serves me correctly I always had protrait.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-04-2017 12:30 PM
    I didn't have it on my 2xl verizon either when I got it in late october. I had to update the camera app to get portrait mode on it.
    12-04-2017 12:50 PM
    Go to settings-system-languages and verify you are set to English (United States). Mine came from Verizon set to English (Netherlands). I had some minor issues that were fixed once I corrected the language. Maybe it will work for you.
    xweb10 likes this.
    12-04-2017 10:00 PM
    Again, dunno if it'll help, but when I first got my phone at launch, I didn't have the selfie portrait mode either. Nor was it listed in the app store. But as I was going along seeing up and using my phone, it updated through the play store and now is listed on my "installed apps" heading in the play store as Google camera. And my phone is unlocked with a Verizon sim. I think the phone is just doing so much when it's activated for the first time it can take time so check everything and show up and update.
    12-05-2017 01:07 AM
    Mine is a regular Pixel 2, bought through Verizon, and it had portrait mode out of the box.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-05-2017 02:00 AM
    It takes around 24 hours from initial setup for the update to the camera app to appear. Sit tight, and it will appear.
    12-08-2017 03:59 AM