Pixel 2......bezelgate

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Went to pick up the Pixel 2 tonight and just couldn't do it. The front of this phone looks like an old iPhone to me. Really wanted a slightly smaller form than my current Note 4, but good night the black space on the front of the phone is outrageous. Guess I'll give LG another go and grab the 2XL.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Went to pick up the Pixel 2 tonight and just couldn't do it. The front of this phone looks like an old iPhone to me. Really wanted a slightly smaller form than my current Note 4, but good night the black space on the front of the phone is outrageous. Guess I'll give LG another go and grab the 2XL.
It does give a first impression of a dated look, but I think I would get used to it if I owned it. The smaller radius of the corners vs the OG model makes those bezels more pronounced too.

The screen real estate is great, but I think the battery swayed me a lot to the 2 XL. I think if it only had 3200-3300 mah like other flagships, I might have opted for the more compact model bezels or not.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Pixel 2 since release and the bezels are a non issue for me. I'm coming from an S7 edge and an iPhone 6s. Screen real estate is fine. Battery is incredible. I unplug from the charger at 7am. I use mine quite a bit during the day at work and usually come home with about 70% left on the battery. I use it a lot in the evenings to finish out the work day and also surf the net, text, and read news articles. Not to mention time on AC. I'm usually around 40% when I plug it in around 11pm. Phone has been fantastic for me so far. No complaints.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was initially put off by the bezels but after using the phone, I find the bezels help with one-hand operation. It's a well-balanced device and the navigation buttons are easy to hit because they're not near the physical edge of the phone.

But it sounds like visual aesthetics are more important to you than me so get what appeals to you.

BTW, "bezelgate" suggests scandal or deception. Not sure if there was any of that here.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I found nothing wrong with the bezels on the 5" Pixel. I only sent it back in favor of the 2 XL because....I don't know. But I love my 2 XL though!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any problem with the bezels. I wish they were half as large but they are no issue as they are with my enjoying the phone. I don't even notice them. Maybe next year they will be less large and more to your liking OP.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Looks like a new iPhone (8) to you as well, I'm guessing ;-)

The 2 XL has pretty good size bezels as well, though it offers greater screen-to-body ratio.

Personally, I'm completely fine with the bezels for a few reasons:
  1. Less likely to suffer screen damage from drops on side, top, or bottom of phone
  2. Fewer unintentional screen touches registered
  3. front-firing speakers

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any problem with the bezels. I wish they were half as large but they are no issue as they are with my enjoying the phone. I don't even notice them. Maybe next year they will be less large and more to your liking OP.
If they could do the same size next year but better screen to body ratio in the smaller form factor... #winning

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I had an Essential phone (from a Pixel) because of the damn sexy bezel-less design. I'm back now with a Pixel 2. No other phones have worked as well for me as the Pixels have. I was lured in by beauty, but I have stepped back due to just plain quality of operation.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Dumb question probably, but why didn't we just add comments to the existing thread where this was already hashed out ad nauseam?

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Could care less about bezels. I use my phone one handed a lot and it is good to have gripping room without blocking anything, and to be able to reach most of the screen. Extra screen at the top and bottom would just be places I couldn't reach easily or safely one handed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dumb question probably, but why didn't we just add comments to the existing thread where this was already hashed out ad nauseam?

Valid point .....At least it's not another "they took my Jack, SD card, removable battery IR blaster, bottle opener thread.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I got the 2 right when it was available and used it for about a week. Really did love the device. Oreo was great, camera was excellent and battery life was the best I ever experienced on an Android phone. The only issue was the screen. It was too small. Those bezels are wasted space IMO. I would have much preferred a bigger screen with less bezels in the exact same footprint. I’m sure many wont agree, but the dual speaker set up that HTC and Apple uses is more than sufficient for me. I returned the 2.

ps. XL is too big.

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't really have an issue with the bezels on the pixel 2. Honestly, I hardly even notice them. I'm just glad it has front facing speakers!

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I was worried about the bezels and small size of the screen as well. I only otped for the pixel 2 cause I got a deal and paid 30 bucks for the 128 gig on contract and the pixel 2 xl was 250 for the 64g.

But this phone really grew on me and I'm very happy I have it. My other concern was the battery. So I bought a fast car charger and have an extra fast charger from Google. Turns out I only charge it at night and the odd time on my car.

I take it out of its case at times and just admire it. Lol. I think it's a beautiful design and form factor. Never would have thought that.

I did come from an s7 edge and very happy I'm not mistakingly hitting the edge screen. Love the UI and design far better than Samsung's too.

westektwit

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
This is ludicrous!! 99% of the people complaining about the bezels will be slapping a crappy plastic case around the phone anyway! Spare us from your faux outrage.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone really care? If you bought one and are happy, it's good.... If you didn't because of whatever, why come vent to the forum about why you disliked it?

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I was dubious about the bezels until I held it for the first time. After using phones with minimal bezels or huge phones for so long now, I absolutely love this and I'll be buying the same design if I can for the foreseeable future.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech