Interesting screen development

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
So I decided to try out the Pixel 2 XL and received the Stormtrooper model the other day. And wouldn't you know it, halfway down the screen was a faint black bar, about two centimeters wide, that stretched across the entire display. I downloaded the updates, reset to factory, and it was still there. Had my wife and daughter look at it, they both saw it too - specifically when there was a white background. Sigh. Time to start the RMA process.

Then I remembered a comment on a thread around here about screen burn-in time. No, not burn-in as in image retention, but as in giving the screen some time to calibrate itself. So I kept using the 2 XL. Set up everything, watched some video, scanned some Facebook, did some emails, the usual. And wouldn't you know it, by about 10 p.m. last night, I couldn't see it anymore. Checked with my wife and daughter, and they couldn't see it anymore either.

So maybe there's something to that whole "let the screen burn in" thing. Unfortunately, I'm not as in love with the 2 XL as others though. The screen itself seems very dim and lifeless when compared to my iPhone X and S8+, even after tweaking the display settings. And the speaker makes an annoying cracking noise at times, for whatever reason. The camera is f*****g fantastic though, there is absolutely no denying that, and the thing flies. Maybe I'll see what happens with the next update before deciding.

John Zwiers

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
How would you compare the photos from the Pixel XL versus the Samsung S8+? I'm getting ready to upgrade from my Note 5 (I love the Note 5 camera).

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I think even with the November update that allows you to tweak the screen more, your still not going to get that bright, burn your retinas stop display like the x or s8. Glad the screen thing cleared up though. The noise would concern me though and I'd be tempted to get a replacement if it was me.
@John Zwiers, there are quite a few posts and articles comparing the cameras if you wanna look. The pixel 2 photos will look more accurate with less oversaturation than the s8. They tend to have better definition as well, but I'd suggest checking for yourself and deciding which you prefer.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I think even with the November update that allows you to tweak the screen more, your still not going to get that bright, burn your retinas stop display like the x or s8. Glad the screen thing cleared up though. The noise would concern me though and I'd be tempted to get a replacement if it was me.
@John Zwiers, there are quite a few posts and articles comparing the cameras if you wanna look. The pixel 2 photos will look more accurate with less oversaturation than the s8. They tend to have better definition as well, but I'd suggest checking for yourself and deciding which you prefer.

I am replacing it because of the cracking noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech