8.1 didn't fix coil whine or call static

dnlgrwd87

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
This link is the exact issue I still have even after 8.1
https://youtu.be/MY_YMpBdn4o

I just got the 8.1 update and it didn't fix the call quality issue. There is no longer hissing through the speaker, but there is annoying static and popping as many others have said. Also, if I place my ear up to the rear camera even when the phone is off, I still hear coil whine or a hissing noise (see video above). This completely goes away when I turn on the flashlight and gets a little better when I open the camera, but otherwise it is always there even when the screen is off. How many have this issue still? Put the rear camera to your ear when the phone is on or off, then turn the flashlight on and see it disappear.

Who else is having this issue? I'm on the regular Pixel 2.

dnlgrwd87

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Do you have any static for phone calls? What about burn in? I'm trying to find out if the hissing / coil whine is an issue also with the Pixel 2 XL and not just the Pixel 2.

Last edited:

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Shoot I'm just trying to get to 8.1. Lol Don't have a computer with me to sideload and haven't gotten the OTA

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the hissing or whining is a wide spread issue and are just isolated cases as many including myself are not experiencing it. I would definitely recommend you do a warranty replacement.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This link is the exact issue I still have even after 8.1
https://youtu.be/MY_YMpBdn4o

I just got the 8.1 update and it didn't fix the call quality issue. There is no longer hissing through the speaker, but there is annoying static and popping as many others have said. Also, if I place my ear up to the rear camera even when the phone is off, I still hear coil whine or a hissing noise (see video above). This completely goes away when I turn on the flashlight and gets a little better when I open the camera, but otherwise it is always there even when the screen is off. How many have this issue still? Put the rear camera to your ear when the phone is on or off, then turn the flashlight on and see it disappear.

Who else is having this issue? I'm on the regular Pixel 2.

I'm thinking it's a limited hardware issue so I would get it swapped out

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had that on any of the 3 pixel 2s I've had. (dropped one, replacement had a bad vibrate motor.) I'd swap it out for a new one if I were you. They're still sending out new ones instead of refurbs too.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I never knew where exactly to press the phone to my skull to hear this noise but thanks to this thread I do now.

My Pixel 2 does have the same whine/static when I press the camera to my ear. This is extremely annoying when I'm trying to get a good portrait mode shot of my eardrum. Fortunately, I can't hear this whine or any other unusual noises when I use the phone to make calls.

dnlgrwd87

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
I never knew where exactly to press the phone to my skull to hear this noise but thanks to this thread I do now.

My Pixel 2 does have the same whine/static when I press the camera to my ear. This is extremely annoying when I'm trying to get a good portrait mode shot of my eardrum. Fortunately, I can't hear this whine or any other unusual noises when I use the phone to make calls.

I understand that, but my regular calls have static and distortion, which is definitely audible during daily use. I'm afraid exchanging won't help.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I understand that, but my regular calls have static and distortion, which is definitely audible during daily use. I'm afraid exchanging won't help.
My calls are great. I wouldn't put up with that noise while in a call. Sounds like the old days on a landline on long distance. I don't use NFC and some have mentioned that being on is the culprit. Also, I do not have the 8.1 update yet either. I'd return it.

dnlgrwd87

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
This is my third pixel 2, and I can only return to Verizon once (the others were from best Buy) I may just return it and get a s8 from Best Buy ($300 off). it's definitely not stock Android but I think it will be okay. Also, NFC doesn't change anything.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is my third pixel 2, and I can only return to Verizon once (the others were from best Buy) I may just return it and get a s8 from Best Buy ($300 off). it's definitely not stock Android but I think it will be okay. Also, NFC doesn't change anything.

Yeah idk what to say. That may be your best bet. I can say my Pixel 2 XL from Verizon doesn't have this issue and I use my phone a lot for talk.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

A whole bunch of people have said they don't have the issue, so it's far more likely your exchange would not have the problem. Don't put up with a broken phone - get warranty service.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

You have a warranty issue, not an purchase exchange issue. Get it fixed - either with warranty replacement or repair.

dnlgrwd87

Dec 6, 2017
Visit site
Many many people have this issue. Look on the Google forums, there are thousands of posts. They mainly say the issues are with the regular pixel 2 and not the XL, but I don't know if I want to risk it. Also, yes I know that all OLED screens have some color shift, but the Pixels is very exaggerated in comparison

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Many many people have this issue. Look on the Google forums, there are thousands of posts. They mainly say the issues are with the regular pixel 2 and not the XL, but I don't know if I want to risk it. Also, yes I know that all OLED screens have some color shift, but the Pixels is very exaggerated in comparison

Sounds like you have your options then -- Warranty exchange, swap to S8, or live with the XL.