This link is the exact issue I still have even after 8.1

I just got the 8.1 update and it didn't fix the call quality issue. There is no longer hissing through the speaker, but there is annoying static and popping as many others have said. Also, if I place my ear up to the rear camera even when the phone is off, I still hear coil whine or a hissing noise (see video above). This completely goes away when I turn on the flashlight and gets a little better when I open the camera, but otherwise it is always there even when the screen is off. How many have this issue still? Put the rear camera to your ear when the phone is on or off, then turn the flashlight on and see it disappear.

Who else is having this issue? I'm on the regular Pixel 2.
    12-06-2017 04:54 PM
    No issue (as described) here with my 2 XL..... I would be RMAing that thing....
    firebirder likes this.
    12-06-2017 05:47 PM
    Do you have any static for phone calls? What about burn in? I'm trying to find out if the hissing / coil whine is an issue also with the Pixel 2 XL and not just the Pixel 2.
    12-06-2017 05:57 PM
    Shoot I'm just trying to get to 8.1. Lol Don't have a computer with me to sideload and haven't gotten the OTA
    12-06-2017 08:01 PM
    I don't think the hissing or whining is a wide spread issue and are just isolated cases as many including myself are not experiencing it. I would definitely recommend you do a warranty replacement.
    12-06-2017 08:56 PM
    Still on 8.0 with Nov. Update and my pixel whines and coils like no other... Annoying af
    12-06-2017 10:57 PM
    This link is the exact issue I still have even after 8.1

I just got the 8.1 update and it didn't fix the call quality issue. There is no longer hissing through the speaker, but there is annoying static and popping as many others have said. Also, if I place my ear up to the rear camera even when the phone is off, I still hear coil whine or a hissing noise (see video above). This completely goes away when I turn on the flashlight and gets a little better when I open the camera, but otherwise it is always there even when the screen is off. How many have this issue still? Put the rear camera to your ear when the phone is on or off, then turn the flashlight on and see it disappear.

Who else is having this issue? I'm on the regular Pixel 2.
    I'm thinking it's a limited hardware issue so I would get it swapped out
    12-06-2017 11:10 PM
    I haven't had that on any of the 3 pixel 2s I've had. (dropped one, replacement had a bad vibrate motor.) I'd swap it out for a new one if I were you. They're still sending out new ones instead of refurbs too.
    12-07-2017 05:42 AM
    I never knew where exactly to press the phone to my skull to hear this noise but thanks to this thread I do now.

My Pixel 2 does have the same whine/static when I press the camera to my ear. This is extremely annoying when I'm trying to get a good portrait mode shot of my eardrum. Fortunately, I can't hear this whine or any other unusual noises when I use the phone to make calls.
    12-07-2017 08:58 AM
    I never knew where exactly to press the phone to my skull to hear this noise but thanks to this thread I do now.

My Pixel 2 does have the same whine/static when I press the camera to my ear. This is extremely annoying when I'm trying to get a good portrait mode shot of my eardrum. Fortunately, I can't hear this whine or any other unusual noises when I use the phone to make calls.
    I understand that, but my regular calls have static and distortion, which is definitely audible during daily use. I'm afraid exchanging won't help.
    12-07-2017 11:22 AM
    I understand that, but my regular calls have static and distortion, which is definitely audible during daily use. I'm afraid exchanging won't help.
    My calls are great. I wouldn't put up with that noise while in a call. Sounds like the old days on a landline on long distance. I don't use NFC and some have mentioned that being on is the culprit. Also, I do not have the 8.1 update yet either. I'd return it.
    12-07-2017 01:11 PM
    This is my third pixel 2, and I can only return to Verizon once (the others were from best Buy) I may just return it and get a s8 from Best Buy ($300 off). it's definitely not stock Android but I think it will be okay. Also, NFC doesn't change anything.
    12-07-2017 02:11 PM
    This is my third pixel 2, and I can only return to Verizon once (the others were from best Buy) I may just return it and get a s8 from Best Buy ($300 off). it's definitely not stock Android but I think it will be okay. Also, NFC doesn't change anything.
    Yeah idk what to say. That may be your best bet. I can say my Pixel 2 XL from Verizon doesn't have this issue and I use my phone a lot for talk.
    12-07-2017 02:16 PM
    The XL 2 has the blue tint...I don't think I could handle that
    12-07-2017 02:17 PM
    Understandable. For me I never see it since I don't look at my phone without it being aimed at me but I get how some simply can't accept the tint at all.
    12-07-2017 02:20 PM
    Then don't buy any oled screen phone. They all have some off axis tint. Some worse than others but they all have it.
    firebirder likes this.
    12-07-2017 02:21 PM
    A whole bunch of people have said they don't have the issue, so it's far more likely your exchange would not have the problem. Don't put up with a broken phone - get warranty service.
    12-07-2017 02:38 PM
    You have a warranty issue, not an purchase exchange issue. Get it fixed - either with warranty replacement or repair.
    12-07-2017 02:40 PM
    Many many people have this issue. Look on the Google forums, there are thousands of posts. They mainly say the issues are with the regular pixel 2 and not the XL, but I don't know if I want to risk it. Also, yes I know that all OLED screens have some color shift, but the Pixels is very exaggerated in comparison
    12-07-2017 03:13 PM
    Many many people have this issue. Look on the Google forums, there are thousands of posts. They mainly say the issues are with the regular pixel 2 and not the XL, but I don't know if I want to risk it. Also, yes I know that all OLED screens have some color shift, but the Pixels is very exaggerated in comparison
    Sounds like you have your options then -- Warranty exchange, swap to S8, or live with the XL.
    12-07-2017 04:57 PM
    I wouldn't listen to all these comments about RMAing your phone. Odds are Google will send you another with the same issue. This is most likely software related, for better or for worse
    dnlgrwd87 likes this.
    12-07-2017 05:07 PM