Is this level of noise in the camera normal?

Trung Dinh

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

There seems to be a lot of noise and graininess in low light shots with my Pixel 2. I understand low light is difficult but I just want to make sure whether the shots in the link is normal or is there something wrong with my camera.

It's just automatic mode so not HDR+ enhanced. There are some that I've turned the compensation down as well by focusing and sliding down the brightness gauge. Is there any other way to mitigate the noise and blown out pics like these like a separate option to lower the shutter speed or is there something wrong with my camera?

There's also other 2 other pics indoor with low light. One is with enhanced HDR and the other just normal. The noise is crazy here. I'm pretty sure my iPhone 6 did better here. Also, my camera seems to flicker (like when you video old TV's theres lines that travel either up and down or left and right) in certain lighting conditions, mainly the gym and the room in the picture. The room is lit by LED light and my tv is also LED. Is this normal?

Albums:
https://imgur.com/a/xeJLl
https://imgur.com/gallery/ywxEx

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's hard for me to comment on the first shot, since I haven't tried a night shot like that. This is the closest I've come, with a 2 XL:

IMG_20171202_190036.jpg

No noise there, but as you can see, there's significantly more ambient light in this setting than in your skyline shot.

The indoor shots make it look like there's something on the lens glass that's causing diffusion, like oil or plastic. The glass over the lens is completely clean, and there's no screen protector impinging on it, right?

The issue with scan lines related to LED lights has been reported, although it seems like it may be limited to certain units: Pixel 2 cameras don't like LED lights, display strange banding when aimed in their direction. I haven't seen that issue on my 2 XL.

Trung Dinh

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Thanks that image looks really good. No, there's nothing covering the actual lens and I've cleaned it beforehand but perhaps some oil was still there? Just a lot of noise in that indoor one.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Are you talking about the speckles in the curtains/ceiling or the light banding across your TV? If it's the light bands on the TV that looks like banding caused by the refresh rate of the TV.

Some noise is expected in low-light shots. Google seems to prefer noisy images that retain detail rather than smoothed out images that would get less noise but lose detail.

Trung Dinh

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
More so the speckles in the curtains and ceiling. It looks worse than my iPhone 6 for some reason. I don't have a picture to compare but just by memory :S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool