Hey folks, I'm running a non-rooted Pixel 2 XL. Last night I downloaded the OTA update to Android 8.1. Everything ran without a hitch, but immediately following the installation (meaning after reboot) my screen wake time changed. Now it takes about 1.5 seconds to wake my screen after I either use my fingerprint or press the power button.

I've used Developer Options to shorten my animation times, but that didn't change anything. Also, the animation times were unchanged after the update anyhow.

Please let me know if you have any solutions/suggestions. Cheers.
    12-08-2017 08:56 AM
    I am having this problem too and has its own thread on XDA
    12-08-2017 04:36 PM
    Having the same problem too. Very noticably slow wake. Can sort of be 'fixed' with always on display but I don't really want that feature on. I hope they will do something about it
    12-08-2017 08:21 PM
    I'm having the same issue. I'm thinking about rolling back to 8.0.
    12-08-2017 08:34 PM
    Hey folks, I'm running a non-rooted Pixel 2 XL. Last night I downloaded the OTA update to Android 8.1. Everything ran without a hitch, but immediately following the installation (meaning after reboot) my screen wake time changed. Now it takes about 1.5 seconds to wake my screen after I either use my fingerprint or press the power button.

I've used Developer Options to shorten my animation times, but that didn't change anything. Also, the animation times were unchanged after the update anyhow.

I know this is the last thing people want to hear..... But I would try a factory reset
    12-08-2017 09:19 PM
    I am having a similar issue and screen brightness is changing constantly. other thing I noticed is with adaptive brightness the screen looks muted and if I turn it off the screen is brighter.
    12-08-2017 09:25 PM
    See this is why Google does staged rollouts...
    12-08-2017 10:33 PM
    Really .. just for this? :P.
    12-09-2017 02:21 AM
    I know this is the last thing people want to hear..... But I would try a factory reset
    I am trying to reflash the entire stock image, but got an error doing that. I may do a factory reset in the meantime.

Original post on flashing issue

I sideloaded the 8.1 OTA yesterday. However, I'm having issues with my finger print sensor and want to do a clean flash of the whole image. I downloaded the Walleye .011 image file from Google's site this morning. When I attempt to flash the image using the flash-all command, I receive the following error:

wiping userdata...

CreateProcess failed: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)

mke2fs failed: -1

error: Cannot generate image for userdata

I have my bootloader unlocked but am not rooted. The phone is currently on the .011 build but it will not let me flash the image. Any ideas? I've also downloaded the latest platform tools in case that was an issue.
    12-09-2017 07:53 AM
    Hi all, I did try a factory reset but that didn't work. A re-image could work, but I'll wait for someone else to try that I've enabled ambient display for now.
    12-09-2017 09:08 AM
    no-rooted Pixel 2XL OTA update 8.1

Before 8.0 finger screen unlock Fast
    After 8.1 finger screen unlock Screen Wake Delayed 1sec

I’m starting to doubt your resolve!
    12-11-2017 04:48 AM
    This issue has popped up here and on XDA, hopefully Google addresses in an upcoming monthly security release.
    12-11-2017 06:14 AM
    I have this same issue and just got the OTA for 8.1. It also enabled Mobile Data Always Active so i switched that back to off. Anyway, I will go check out XDA but are others experiencing this delayed screen wake? Literally it added 1 sec to waking it up after the finger print sensor. Its pretty annoying
    12-11-2017 08:09 PM
    evo4gMN likes this.
    12-11-2017 08:11 PM
    I am experiencing this too and its pretty frustrating!
    12-11-2017 08:13 PM
    Hi! First time posting, hope I'm doing it right to help. So I was having the issue quoted when running the flash-all.bat for the December factory image. It turns out that you can't just have the fastboot.exe file. You have to have all the files from the latest platform-tools released by Google. This is because the command that is run to wipe the userdata partition is "fastboot format userdata". It appears fastboot.exe alone does not support this command. If you run this command by itself with only fastboot.exe present, you will encounter the "cannot generate image for userdata" error. Hope this helps!

Android Central
    FORUMS
    SHOP
    PHONE BUYER'S GUIDE
    CARRIER BUYER'S GUIDE
    REVIEWS
    APPS
    HELP
    Q&A
    DEALS
    ROOT
    Google Pixel 2Galaxy Note 8Galaxy S8HonorHuaweiLG V30Amazon Echo DotBlackBerry KEYone
    YOUR MENU Trending: Camera AR is HERE! NEW THREAD TODAY'S POSTS 0

ForumGoogle Hardware, Services & AppsGoogle Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL
    Android 8.1 on Pixel 2 XL - Screen Wake Delayed

Calling all Android Developers! Take a survey from our friends at SlashData for a chance to win a Google Pixel 2 and more! Click HERE for full details!

Yesterday TOOLS REPLY

JoeGWW

12-08-2017 10:56 AMLike

worldsoutro
    I am having this problem too and has its own thread on XDA
    12-08-2017 06:36 PMLike

Jimmy Khor
    Having the same problem too. Very noticably slow wake. Can sort of be 'fixed' with always on display but I don't really want that feature on. I hope they will do something about it
    12-08-2017 10:21 PMLike

C5Longhorn
    12-08-2017 10:34 PMLike

Mike Dee
    Trusted Member
    Ambassador
    Originally Posted by JoeGWW

12-08-2017 11:19 PMLike

nomi1978
    I am having a similar issue and screen brightness is changing constantly. other thing I noticed is with adaptive brightness the screen looks muted and if I turn it off the screen is brighter.
    12-08-2017 11:25 PMLike

DarkNeo
    See this is why Google does staged rollouts...
    12-09-2017 12:33 AMLike

Almeuit
    Moderator Team Leader
    Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
    Really .. just for this? :P.
    12-09-2017 04:21 AMLike

12-12-2017 12:01 AM
    that does help, thanks for the update.
    12-12-2017 06:15 AM
    12-17-2017 08:45 PM
    I've stayed on 8.1, hopefully Google fixes in a future release.
    12-18-2017 06:51 AM