Android 8.1 on Pixel 2 XL - Screen Wake Delayed

JoeGWW

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm running a non-rooted Pixel 2 XL. Last night I downloaded the OTA update to Android 8.1. Everything ran without a hitch, but immediately following the installation (meaning after reboot) my screen wake time changed. Now it takes about 1.5 seconds to wake my screen after I either use my fingerprint or press the power button.

I've used Developer Options to shorten my animation times, but that didn't change anything. Also, the animation times were unchanged after the update anyhow.

Please let me know if you have any solutions/suggestions. Cheers.

Jimmy Khor

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
Having the same problem too. Very noticably slow wake. Can sort of be 'fixed' with always on display but I don't really want that feature on. I hope they will do something about it

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm running a non-rooted Pixel 2 XL. Last night I downloaded the OTA update to Android 8.1. Everything ran without a hitch, but immediately following the installation (meaning after reboot) my screen wake time changed. Now it takes about 1.5 seconds to wake my screen after I either use my fingerprint or press the power button.

I've used Developer Options to shorten my animation times, but that didn't change anything. Also, the animation times were unchanged after the update anyhow.

I know this is the last thing people want to hear..... But I would try a factory reset

nomi1978

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am having a similar issue and screen brightness is changing constantly. other thing I noticed is with adaptive brightness the screen looks muted and if I turn it off the screen is brighter.

C5Longhorn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I know this is the last thing people want to hear..... But I would try a factory reset

I am trying to reflash the entire stock image, but got an error doing that. I may do a factory reset in the meantime.

Original post on flashing issue

I sideloaded the 8.1 OTA yesterday. However, I'm having issues with my finger print sensor and want to do a clean flash of the whole image. I downloaded the Walleye .011 image file from Google's site this morning. When I attempt to flash the image using the flash-all command, I receive the following error:

wiping userdata...

CreateProcess failed: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)

mke2fs failed: -1

error: Cannot generate image for userdata

I have my bootloader unlocked but am not rooted. The phone is currently on the .011 build but it will not let me flash the image. Any ideas? I've also downloaded the latest platform tools in case that was an issue.

JoeGWW

Dec 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, I did try a factory reset but that didn't work. A re-image could work, but I'll wait for someone else to try that :) I've enabled ambient display for now.

sertneverdie

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
Pixel 2XL android 8.1 Screen Wake Delayed

no-rooted Pixel 2XL OTA update 8.1

Before 8.0 finger screen unlock Fast
After 8.1 finger screen unlock Screen Wake Delayed 1sec

I’m starting to doubt your resolve!

evo4gMN

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2XL android 8.1 Screen Wake Delayed

I have this same issue and just got the OTA for 8.1. It also enabled Mobile Data Always Active so i switched that back to off. Anyway, I will go check out XDA but are others experiencing this delayed screen wake? Literally it added 1 sec to waking it up after the finger print sensor. Its pretty annoying

alarsama

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi! First time posting, hope I'm doing it right to help. So I was having the issue quoted when running the flash-all.bat for the December factory image. It turns out that you can't just have the fastboot.exe file. You have to have all the files from the latest platform-tools released by Google. This is because the command that is run to wipe the userdata partition is "fastboot format userdata". It appears fastboot.exe alone does not support this command. If you run this command by itself with only fastboot.exe present, you will encounter the "cannot generate image for userdata" error. Hope this helps!

Android Central
FORUMS
SHOP
PHONE BUYER'S GUIDE
CARRIER BUYER'S GUIDE
REVIEWS
APPS
HELP
Q&A
DEALS
ROOT
Google Pixel 2Galaxy Note 8Galaxy S8HonorHuaweiLG V30Amazon Echo DotBlackBerry KEYone
YOUR MENU Trending: Camera AR is HERE! NEW THREAD TODAY'S POSTS 0

ForumGoogle Hardware, Services & AppsGoogle Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL
Android 8.1 on Pixel 2 XL - Screen Wake Delayed

Calling all Android Developers! Take a survey from our friends at SlashData for a chance to win a Google Pixel 2 and more! Click HERE for full details!

Yesterday TOOLS REPLY

JoeGWW

12-08-2017 10:56 AMLike

worldsoutro
I am having this problem too and has its own thread on XDA
12-08-2017 06:36 PMLike

Jimmy Khor
Having the same problem too. Very noticably slow wake. Can sort of be 'fixed' with always on display but I don't really want that feature on. I hope they will do something about it
12-08-2017 10:21 PMLike

C5Longhorn
I'm having the same issue. I'm thinking about rolling back to 8.0.
12-08-2017 10:34 PMLike

Mike Dee
Trusted Member
Ambassador
Originally Posted by JoeGWW

12-08-2017 11:19 PMLike

nomi1978
I am having a similar issue and screen brightness is changing constantly. other thing I noticed is with adaptive brightness the screen looks muted and if I turn it off the screen is brighter.
12-08-2017 11:25 PMLike

DarkNeo
See this is why Google does staged rollouts...
12-09-2017 12:33 AMLike

Almeuit
Moderator Team Leader
Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
I'm having the same issue. I'm thinking about rolling back to 8.0.
Really .. just for this? :p.
12-09-2017 04:21 AMLike