How does the Pixel 2 make my Google life better than an iPhone?

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I just returned my 2 XL. Couldn't stand the display. Google mailed it in on this one this year. Software was excellent, you shouldn't have to settle for a mediocre screen. Blue tint was unacceptable for me. My OG Pixel XL screen looks much better than that OLED. It's a shame though because other than the screen issues, it's a fantastic phone.

I also have the 8 plus and imo that screen was much better than the XL as well. Hopefully they square it away for the Pixel 3 next year.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My information might be outdated, but I can relate the reasons why I returned my iPhone 6 a few years back after 2 weeks with it. 1) Most actions seemed to require more taps, 2) the iPhone was constantly asking for my Apple password, 3) Siri always used Apple apps for navigation and music by default (and there was no escaping the default), 4) I disliked the icon grid interface, 5) I could not use Google Drive's document scan feature (wasn't available on the iPhone, and I use this feature a lot on the job), 6) the iPhone keyboard drove me nuts (much slower than swiping for me).

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "not as good"? Details and specificity count for a lot if you want useful advice or feedback.

The blue shift doesn't really bother me that much. To me, the whites seem kind of gray when held next to the 6s plus and the screen doesn't seem quite as sharp which is surprising since the 2 XL has higher resolution.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Leaning towards returning mine. If I do, I'm getting an 8 Plus and selling my 6 Plus. Sim goes back in my iPhone today to use for the weekend. If I don't miss Pixel, it goes back. Another thing I hate is not being able to find a proper tempered glass screen protector. If the iPhone X had a curved screen companies would line up to make one and it wouldn't be crap.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Leaning towards returning mine. If I do, I'm getting an 8 Plus and selling my 6 Plus. Sim goes back in my iPhone today to use for the weekend. If I don't miss Pixel, it goes back. Another thing I hate is not being able to find a proper tempered glass screen protector. If the iPhone X had a curved screen companies would line up to make one and it wouldn't be crap.

If you prefer an iPhone 6 over a Pixel 2 I'd probably advise you on never trying Android again. No point :)

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 6S Plus was my first iPhone ever. Had been an Android user forever. This ain't my first dance on the platform. I'm a former Galaxy...Nexus...etc user. Pixel XL? I like it. There's something about my iPhone I'm missing. At the same time, there's something about Android that isn't the apple (no pun intended) of my eye anymore. Still undecided. Could be buyers remorse.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have Apple/Android car play, I hear google maps is way better to use as a gps.

The only other advantage is widgets and more customization screens.

Most people could never leave Apple because they would be disconnected from iMessage.

Google should block Apple from using all their apps unless Apple gives Android access to an iMessage app.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have Apple/Android car play, I hear google maps is way better to use as a gps.

Most people could never leave Apple because they would be disconnected from iMessage.

Google should block Apple from using all their apps unless Apple gives Android access to an iMessage app.
Na Google won't do that. Google is a services company. They aren't going to block all those iPhone and iPad users. That would hurt them more then Apple.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Na Google won't do that. Google is a services company. They aren't going to block all those iPhone and iPad users. That would hurt them more then Apple.

I say block them! Lots of Apple users are tied to google services as much as they are tied to iMessage. Apple would blink first when their users start screaming they can't get to their email, maps, docs etc... Apple users would also like their Android friends to be on full iMessage, so the Apple argument that "we can't give you access to all google services because we don't want Androids to have iMessage" access would ring hollow.

I should be Google CEO. I would do it for only 1 million per year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I say block them! Lots of Apple users are tied to google services as much as they are tied to iMessage. Apple would blink first when their users start screaming they can't get to their email, maps, docs etc... Apple users would also like their Android friends to be on full iMessage, so the Apple argument that "we can't give you access to all google services because we don't want Androids to have iMessage" access would ring hollow.

I should be Google CEO. I would do it for only 1 million per year.

I def. disagree with your stance. Google is powerful w/ their AI and machine learning due to the mass amount of users using their services so .. I say let them keep doing them :). If people choose iOS they simply get Google Services and iMessage. To be honest iMessage isn't worth the entire Google services to me...

Also I don't think Apple would scramble. They would simple say "Talk to Google they blocked you" -- so then you even get bad PR in the mix. Yeah.. Not good lol. All over iMessage? Ehhh.

iMessage isn't > all the stuff they get for people using their services in terms of what they can do / use for revenue & products. There is a reason Siri isn't as good at questions when compared to Google Assistant ;).

briareos4

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
Well.. concerning the topic of this thread... I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with my iPhone 8+ as my primary. I have 2 lines: personal and business. I've been a habitual swapper between the 2 sims - going back and forth between the 2XL and the iPhone on my personal line. The whole iMessage thing throws a huge wrench into it. Even though prior to a sim swap I go through the motions of turning off iMessage and deregister my number from the apple website, I still miss tons of texts from the iPhone users when I'm on the 2XL.

So I've decided to keep the 2XL on my business line where it handles primarily conference calls, etc.. during the business week. That line gets far fewer texts.

For the OP, the only advice I can give is that if you don't have 2 lines and your circle of family and friends are primarily on the Apple ecosystem, then it'll be too painful to swap for only the points mentioned in this thread (Google Assistant, photos, etc..) If you're coming from a newer iPhone, 7 or 8 or X, then honestly the photo quality difference won't be monumental.

briareos4

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
The iPhone 6S Plus was my first iPhone ever. Had been an Android user forever. This ain't my first dance on the platform. I'm a former Galaxy...Nexus...etc user. Pixel XL? I like it. There's something about my iPhone I'm missing. At the same time, there's something about Android that isn't the apple (no pun intended) of my eye anymore. Still undecided. Could be buyers remorse.

Reggie, if I'm reading you right - I believe your doubt is spelled out in this article. :D

https://gizmodo.com/im-buying-an-iphone-because-im-ashamed-of-my-green-bubb-1787965756

(This is satire of course - as you see from my post above I'm an iphone AND Pixel user)

Last edited:

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I def. disagree with your stance. Google is powerful w/ their AI and machine learning due to the mass amount of users using their services so .. I say let them keep doing them :). If people choose iOS they simply get Google Services and iMessage. To be honest iMessage isn't worth the entire Google services to me...

Also I don't think Apple would scramble. They would simple say "Talk to Google they blocked you" -- so then you even get bad PR in the mix. Yeah.. Not good lol. All over iMessage? Ehhh.

iMessage isn't > all the stuff they get for people using their services in terms of what they can do / use for revenue & products. There is a reason Siri isn't as good at questions when compared to Google Assistant ;).
Yeah completely agree, actually Apple will be ecstatic if Google decided to do that. They could care less since it's going to hurt Google more than Apple. More over this is just going to help other companies like Microsoft, other services which are on both platforms to push as alternative to Google. Can't imagine Google being that stupid to lose one of the main ad revenue and usage sources from iOS.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
When my folks went overseas we all started using viber here to talk to them. No big deal. It was that or not talk to them. If I had an iPhone and wanted to switch I'd make the same request of my main folks here on iMessage, to use a single new easy to use messaging app, because it's a reasonable one. If after some months it didn't work out then maybe I'd think of switching back. But I wouldn't let Apple hold me hostage from enjoying a far superior mobile experience.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
When my folks went overseas we all started using viber here to talk to them. No big deal. It was that or not talk to them. If I had an iPhone and wanted to switch I'd make the same request of my main folks here on iMessage, to use a single new easy to use messaging app, because it's a reasonable one. If after some months it didn't work out then maybe I'd think of switching back. But I wouldn't let Apple hold me hostage from enjoying a far superior mobile experience.

B to the I to the N to the G to the O. That's exactly what I told my family and friends that kept ******** about iMessage. And if they didn't want to use something more universal, that was on them. Now, I will say this. Most of them did NOT have the "Send as SMS if iMessage is not available" button activated in their iMessage app. Once I got them to make sure it was toggled on, pretty much all cross-platform group messaging troubles disappeared. (Didn't fix low-res videos, but that's a different issue.)

macher

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
The blue shift doesn't really bother me that much. To me, the whites seem kind of gray when held next to the 6s plus and the screen doesn't seem quite as sharp which is surprising since the 2 XL has higher resolution.

Even though the 6/7/8 are LCD screens Apple nailed it.

macher

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site

Never happen. Google will loose too much information such as what users browse etc..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams