How does the Pixel 2 make my Google life better than an iPhone?

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Purchased a Pixel 2 XL a few days ago, coming from an iPhone 6s plus. So far I'm not seeing any reason to keep it. The main reason I decided to try Android is that I'm deep into the Google ecosystem and thought Android would improve my Google experience over the iPhone and I'm not seeing it yet. I use Gmail for home, we run Gsuite at work as our main only/office app and use Gmail for our email. I've got 4 Google Home speakers at home and use Google Play for my music. But I've not seen any difference in the way I use any Google services (other than squeeze to bring up Assistant) so I'll probably go back to the iPhone so I don't have to purchase Android versions of all my iPhone apps and transfer the data.

So can anybody tell me what I am missing? What specifically can I do on Android with regards to Google services that I can't do on the iPhone? Not looking to get into and Android vs. iOS debate and I don't need any fanboys telling me I have a character flaw because I don't want to spend hours customizing my phone. I'm just looking to find out how I can leverage Google services better with the Pixel 2 than I could an iPhone.

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Purchased a Pixel 2 XL a few days ago, coming from an iPhone 6s plus. So far I'm not seeing any reason to keep it. The main reason I decided to try Android is that I'm deep into the Google ecosystem and thought Android would improve my Google experience over the iPhone and I'm not seeing it yet. I use Gmail for home, we run Gsuite at work as our main only/office app and use Gmail for our email. I've got 4 Google Home speakers at home and use Google Play for my music. But I've not seen any difference in the way I use any Google services (other than squeeze to bring up Assistant) so I'll probably go back to the iPhone so I don't have to purchase Android versions of all my iPhone apps and transfer the data.

So can anybody tell me what I am missing? What specifically can I do on Android with regards to Google services that I can't do on the iPhone? Not looking to get into and Android vs. iOS debate and I don't need any fanboys telling me I have a character flaw because I don't want to spend hours customizing my phone. I'm just looking to find out how I can leverage Google services better with the Pixel 2 than I could an iPhone.
If you're deep into it, you know that I your phone can interact with your smarthome features. I'd more ask myself why go to a product that locks you into 1 type of product line as opposed to what you have now. But, some people like the apple.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
If you're deep into it, you know that I your phone can interact with your smarthome features. I'd more ask myself why go to a product that locks you into 1 type of product line as opposed to what you have now. But, some people like the apple.

Again, I'm looking for specifics, not Apple bashing. I like both Google and Apple. I could access smarthome features with the iPhone as well. There is a Google Home app for iOS. What can I do with the Pixel that I couldn't do with the iPhone?

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
If you are able to do everything you needed on the apple and can return the new phone, I would. I'm not bashing apple. Don't care.

alexmartins

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Again, I'm looking for specifics, not Apple bashing. I like both Google and Apple. I could access smarthome features with the iPhone as well. There is a Google Home app for iOS. What can I do with the Pixel that I couldn't do with the iPhone?

Absolutely nothing. The camera is better though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Really nothing. Using Android doesn't grant you some secret features the iPhone doesn't have -- it just functions differently. Such as I prefer notifications on Android any day compared to iPhone and I prefer Assistant being built into the OS and not just an app from the app store that I have to launch like any old app.

So while you don't want an Android VS iPhone debate that is really all this will be since functionality wise you can do all the things with Google Services on iPhone that you could on Android. Google wants it that way. It is just a preference on how you want to use said services.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not updated on Apple, but the only thing I can think of is just the ability to set Google stuff as default. Like default to Google Assistant instead of Siri. I think Apple now allows you to use Chrome and Gboard as default? Or not? Going Pixel also means having Google Now on the leftmost homescreen as opposed to Spotlight.

Apart from that, I'd think this would degenerate to iOS vs Android.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Really nothing. Using Android doesn't grant you some secret features the iPhone doesn't have -- it just functions differently. Such as I prefer notifications on Android any day compared to iPhone and I prefer Assistant being built into the OS and not just an app from the app store that I have to launch like any old app.

So while you don't want an Android VS iPhone debate that is really all this will be since functionality wise you can do all the things with Google Services on iPhone that you could on Android. Google wants it that way. It is just a preference on how you want to use said services.

Agreed.

OP, I think you need to look to the Virtual Assistants for your answer. If you're that deep into google services, Siri will never function as well as GA with Google ecosystem. Siri's natural default is Apple services, which makes sense. Apple doesn't like or want a lot of third party access on it's platform and that's okay if you're deep in their ecosystem.

Voice commands are the future today and GA is the smartest assistant of them all. If your preference is to open and close the app on the iPhone, you'll probably be happier with their hardware.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Only you can answer this question

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I like both systems and also switch between the two. They are both excellent for my needs, however I give Android and my Pixel 2 the bigger edge for the sheer limitless customization options. It's a shame IMO that Apple won't even let me put an icon where I choose, or leave a portion of the screen icon free so I can see my wallpaper better. Then the icons are fine but why do I need to have the title of the icon underneath? It's like I'm to stupid to know which is which. Doesn't make for a clean look.
That's the main reason I lean more toward Android. But not bashing Apple at all (except lack of customization) or I wouldn't be the owner of an Iphone.
I do find one thing Apple has allowed lately is Google apps like Gmail, maps and a bunch of others and that's a big improvement.
One more thing worth mentioning is if you use your phone for work as well as play then there is a whole new set of criteria involved. My phones are for play and life stuff so alot of what others may need in an OS I don't.

Last edited:

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Agreed.

Voice commands are the future today and GA is the smartest assistant of them all. If your preference is to open and close the app on the iPhone, you'll probably be happier with their hardware.

Agreed that Google Assistant is better than Siri, I rarely used Siri. I don't use Assistant a lot, but am trying to get in the habit of squeezing the phone and using it to see how useful it is to me. Wish I could try the phone for a month rather than 14 days.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Try doing tasks via your voice via Google assistant. It works great. Performs much better than Siri, in all respects.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Some people prefer iOS, some Android. Its all about what YOU want / like. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with this thread.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Agreed that Google Assistant is better than Siri, I rarely used Siri. I don't use Assistant a lot, but am trying to get in the habit of squeezing the phone and using it to see how useful it is to me. Wish I could try the phone for a month rather than 14 days.

IMO, this is where you might find your answer. I recommend you push GA and work it to it's fullest while you have the phone. Engage it ad nauseam, since your trial time is tight. Ask it for all kind of information even if it isn't relevant to you right now.. Like prices for flights or something. Use the Lens feature in GA to the point you're sick of seeing the results.

I use GA constantly, even if it misses I give full feedback so it can improve. For example, I have a colleague traveling in Morocco. I'm in the States. I asked GA for the time in Morocco, got the proper time, then asked GA to send a text to my colleague with WhatsApp since he's traveling. Executed flawlessly while I was making coffee.

Now that might not seem like a ground breaking deal, but do something like that a few times a day for a couple of weeks and your habits change. With the way things are going, IMO the Assistant will be the new center and point of engagement.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hard to say really as you know your usage best OP..

Somethings will be better on Android and some better on iOS. It's really a matter of personal preference. I think Android has the benefits of a better assistant, customization and device options.

You also need to consider how deeply are you embedded in the Apple ecosystem. Do you have a Mac? Apple TV? A ton of paid apps, movies, games, music ect on Apple?

I prefer Android but I don't hate on iOS.. iOS is fine for most people but many stick with the iPhone becase they are so deeply entrenched in the ecosystem.

Both have pluses and minuses so really it boils down to what you want.

For me Android has the following advantages:

1. Assistant is much better than Siri
2. Customization
3. Device options from a variety of manfacturers

Good luck with whatever you decide.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if the integration of apps on iOS is the same (doesn't seem like it based on my iPad usage). But I rely on the Google integration of my gsuite life to automatically add events to my calendars based off emails, ability to use GA to set reminders/shopping lists/ etc and have those seamlessly mesh with gmaps, I use my feed a ton to look at daily events, news feeds and such.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say really as you know your usage best OP..

Somethings will be better on Android and some better on iOS. It's really a matter of personal preference. I think Android has the benefits of a better assistant, customization and device options.

You also need to consider how deeply are you embedded in the Apple ecosystem. Do you have a Mac? Apple TV? A ton of paid apps, movies, games, music ect on Apple?

I prefer Android but I don't hate on iOS.. iOS is fine for most people but many stick with the iPhone becase they are so deeply entrenched in the ecosystem.

Both have pluses and minuses so really it boils down to what you want.

For me Android has the following advantages:

1. Assistant is much better than Siri
2. Customization
3. Device options from a variety of manfacturers

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have a Mac at home and hate it. I wish I had never switched from a PC. Because of this it's not integrated at all with my phone, so no loss there. However, I do have an iPad as well and would miss the integration with the phone.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the integration of apps on iOS is the same (doesn't seem like it based on my iPad usage). But I rely on the Google integration of my gsuite life to automatically add events to my calendars based off emails, ability to use GA to set reminders/shopping lists/ etc and have those seamlessly mesh with gmaps, I use my feed a ton to look at daily events, news feeds and such.

The events are already automatically added to my calendars by the gmail server regardless of which phone I am using. When I open an event on my iPhone using the Google calendar app (which I use as my calendar app on the iPhone) I can tap on the location and it opens in Google maps.

BTW, Google calendar integration on Assistant sucks. I put most of my events on my work calendar but use my home account for Assistant and it can't access my work calendar even though my work calendar is shared with my home calendar.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I like to learn and know. Why I own and use more than one platform.

The Note 8 is everything in a sm artphone, and using DeX.

iOS is having a bad year. The iPhone X is mo re of Galaxy S8 than anything, and small but heavy, while the Note is next year's iPhone X Plus.

Defaults. My choice. DeX dock. Notifications. Gestures. Detested the home button Touch ID.

I would have gotten Pixel 2 XL but wasn't compelling. The Essential One was. BlackBerry wss not my cup of tea after trying PRIV and DTEK50 and 60. I get bored easily, more so with iPhones (5S, two 6S Plus, an 8).

I do not like a walled garden but I have used Mac for 30 years solid. Built some pc's along the way too.

Phone junky former mainframe, Mac, Windows hobbyist

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox