04-08-2018 08:54 PM
32 12
tools
    Is anyone here using a Verizon Model 2 or 2XL (Best Buy version) with an AT&T Sim card? I have a couple of questions.
    12-08-2017 11:52 AM
    12-08-2017 12:13 PM
    Is anyone here using a Verizon Model 2 or 2XL (Best Buy version) with an AT&T Sim card? I have a couple of questions.
    What are your questions?
    12-08-2017 12:14 PM
    Does it get the Google updates the same time a Google version does, and are there any issues using it on the ATT network?
    12-08-2017 12:19 PM
    I do
    Aquila likes this.
    12-08-2017 12:52 PM
    Any issues? Does it get updates the same time as google version?
    12-08-2017 12:53 PM
    I have yet to get an update via OTA. I've heard that putting in a dead Verizon SIM will resolve the issue but I haven't tried it yet.

I also failed to turn on bootloader unlock before activation.
    tsquare2112 likes this.
    12-08-2017 01:29 PM
    But yes so far the OTA images have been posted at the same time as those for the non-VZW version.
    tsquare2112 likes this.
    12-08-2017 01:30 PM
    Thanks for the info, that answers my question.
    12-08-2017 01:30 PM
    So you havent gotten any OTA updates? Is that because there has not been any, or that the phone with AT&T sim will not accept them?
    12-08-2017 01:52 PM
    So you havent gotten any OTA updates? Is that because there has not been any, or that the phone with AT&T sim will not accept them?
    My guess is that it's because I have never used the phone with an active Verizon SIM in it. It doesn't bother me much personally because I can sideload the OTA, but I do want to figure it out eventually.

There have been two OTA's already, November and December. Sideloading the OTA's has worked perfectly fine, so it's not a compatibility issue. If the Verizon version has a "special" OTA it is called out on the developer page for the OTA downloads.
    tsquare2112 likes this.
    12-08-2017 04:10 PM
    12-08-2017 04:31 PM
    I have the VZW version (from BB) on AT&T. I got the 8.1 update OTA. I don't think it matters.
    tsquare2112 likes this.
    12-08-2017 09:32 PM
    I have T-Mo, but I'm going to purchase a Verizon Pixel 2 XL next Friday. I'll make sure to throw in my Verizon Prepaid SIM when I start it up before throwing in my T-Mobile SIM.
    12-08-2017 10:13 PM
    I have T-Mo, but I'm going to purchase a Verizon Pixel 2 XL next Friday. I'll make sure to throw in my Verizon Prepaid SIM when I start it up before throwing in my T-Mobile SIM.
    Really? I am stunned to see you going for it. I thought the blue shift swore you off for good and sent you to the iPhone X.
    bhatech likes this.
    12-09-2017 02:23 AM
    Really? I am stunned to see you going for it. I thought the blue shift swore you off for good and sent you to the iPhone X.
    I sold my iPhone X last week. It was a beautiful device, but I am not deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem like I am with Google. I'm currently rocking the S8 Active on T-Mobile, and everything about it is perfect except for the unknowable software update schedule. That's what I liked about Apple--quick security and software updates. But I can have the same thing on Android with Google-branded devices.

I like the look of the Stormtrooper 2 XL, but I may get the Pixel 2 instead. Who knows. It all depends on my whims next Friday and whether or not I can tolerate the screen. The software updates seem to have tempered my feelings on the matter.
    12-09-2017 11:29 AM
    If you care about updates, you'll welcome the post-Oreo world brought about through Project Treble.
    12-09-2017 12:02 PM
    I sold my iPhone X last week. It was a beautiful device, but I am not deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem like I am with Google. I'm currently rocking the S8 Active on T-Mobile, and everything about it is perfect except for the unknowable software update schedule. That's what I liked about Apple--quick security and software updates. But I can have the same thing on Android with Google-branded devices.

I like the look of the Stormtrooper 2 XL, but I may get the Pixel 2 instead. Who knows. It all depends on my whims next Friday and whether or not I can tolerate the screen. The software updates seem to have tempered my feelings on the matter.
    Yeah I thought you were all Apple at this point in time. My issue with the iX is the cost. It's a great device otherwise. But it's like $1400+ after AppleCare Plus and tax for a 256gb model. And, like you, I'm not invested in Apple at all. The blue shift on the XL is a non-issue for me.
    12-09-2017 03:30 PM
    I thought the only thing "Verizon" about the different phones that can be purchased was that it came with a Verizon sim but otherwise the phones were identical?
    12-09-2017 03:46 PM
    I thought the only thing "Verizon" about the different phones that can be purchased was that it came with a Verizon sim but otherwise the phones were identical?
    That is what I have seen. I immediately removed the VZW sim (before powering on for the first time) and put my AT&T sim in and everything has been fine.
    12-09-2017 03:54 PM
    Yeah I thought you were all Apple at this point in time. My issue with the iX is the cost. It's a great device otherwise. But it's like $1400+ after AppleCare Plus and tax for a 256gb model. And, like you, I'm not invested in Apple at all. The blue shift on the XL is a non-issue for me.
    I paid for the X upfront and that was a mistake. A phone shouldn't cost more than a computer. But despite the X's great hardware, it was just another iPhone. Yawn.

I'm looking forward to using the Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. Hopefully they'll be as good as everyone says they are.
    12-09-2017 05:03 PM
    The Verizon bootloader is locked. The Google version isn't.

Otherwise.. they're 100% identical.
    12-09-2017 05:09 PM
    I had a google version 2xl a few weeks back, but I sent it back due to blue shift. I ordered the OnePlus 5T, and its been a great phone, but there is just something about a pixel. So, I orderd another 2XL yesterday. I was debating on ordering from google, or just running up the street and grabbing a Best Buy one. I should have it Monday. Thanks all for all the info.
    12-09-2017 05:18 PM
    I paid for the X upfront and that was a mistake. A phone shouldn't cost more than a computer. But despite the X's great hardware, it was just another iPhone. Yawn.

I'm looking forward to using the Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. Hopefully they'll be as good as everyone says they are.
    I've been mostly enjoying my X, but I just can't get passed the price. People say the XL is expensive but I'm still saving $300+ going to a fully loaded XL with the protection plan.

And I agree about the hardware being great but still being iOS. It's like they have this really nice forward thinking phone with the same OS from 2010. And there are some things that just don't make sense. No battery percentage in the status bar. And you also don't have your Bluetooth icon or DND icon up there. And it really shouldn't be that confusing to turn off a smartphone these days.
    12-09-2017 06:01 PM
    But despite the X's great hardware, it was just another iPhone. Yawn.
    That is what I said but some disagreed. I get liking iPhone but it really is an iPhone just as much as the 8. The few changes are only there due to the home button not being there otherwise it wouldn't have changed.
    12-09-2017 06:50 PM
32 12