Screen Profile / Battery Life

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed any change in battery life based on which screen profile they use?

I'm rocking natural for the first time since having the phone.. Getting used to it and my screen time seems to be better.. Not sure if that's just how I'm using it today so I'm going to test it.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm going to switch from boosted to Natural and try it, see if screen time increases, and just noticing with the 8.1 update that colors are in a different order natural first.
Haven't had a day where I need to charge more than one time so not overly concerned with battery performance.

Edit my britness is set @32% and I just noticed after the 8.1 update now when you ajust the slider for brightness percentage the number will change before you hade to move the slider let it close and then see the percentage and adjust again very annoying now it changes when the slider moving.
Just commenting on brightness since we're talking about battery here

Last edited:

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
I was on boosted and noticed no difference between the color profiles but I did notice a difference going from 8.1 dp2 to 8.1 final. My battery got hit hard from that.

nomi1978

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has taken a big hit as well. I'm losing 2-3% in stand by over night.

Took it off the charger at 7:30 this morning, 48 minutes later with 4 minutes SOT and already down 2%

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Edit my britness is set @32% and I just noticed after the 8.1 update now when you ajust the slider for brightness percentage the number will change before you hade to move the slider let it close and then see the percentage and adjust again very annoying now it changes when the slider moving.
Just commenting on brightness since we're talking about battery here

I'd forgotten all about the new color settings for the screen. The stock setting looks fine to my eyes.

Tell Google Assistant the exact brightness level you want, no more tweaking with the slider control.

Will watch this thread for more info on if color setting affects battery life.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has also taken a hit. Used to lose 0% to 1% overnite. Now loses 7% consistently each nite since I installed the 8.1 update. Still get thru the day on a charge but wondering if this will work its way out. I'm still using the natural setting for screen colors so no change there.

nomi1978

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am losing 3% per hour in standby. I am trying to see what is different. only thing I can place my finger on is I don't have a consistent VoLTE connection anymore.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Can't comment on the thread title for color profile and battery usage to soon after a update to know.

However I'm really enjoying the Natural mode Home screen seems a little dull and I like that easy on the eyes and anything with color pops so Natural it is for me.

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
I was on boosted and noticed no difference between the color profiles but I did notice a difference going from 8.1 dp2 to 8.1 final. My battery got hit hard from that.

Agreed.. I downloaded the update manually yesterday, and I already regret it. Battery is definitely more draining. Overnight I put it on airplane mode and within 6 hours(IIRC) it dropped down about 6%

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm seeing some of my settings have changed since I updated to 8.1
Not sure if this is making any diff or not but so far my wifi calling was turned off and my preferred network type was changed to Global from CDMA/LTE. Maybe other settings as well. Checking the rest and hoping I've stumbled onto the problem.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, I'm seeing some of my settings have changed since I updated to 8.1
Not sure if this is making any diff or not but so far my wifi calling was turned off and my preferred network type was changed to Global from CDMA/LTE. Maybe other settings as well. Checking the rest and hoping I've stumbled onto the problem.

Keep us updated!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Was hoping I was on to something when I found the wifi calling turned off. My home location where I make most of my calls has somewhat crappy Verizon signal and so I was naturally quite happy to have a wifi calling option on my past recent devices. So finding it off after the 8.1 update kind of made sense for greater battery usage. But, not the case as battery is still losing 8%(last nite)over nite. In another thread it was mentioned that the update might have recalibrated the battery meter to a more realistic rate of decline. One thing I've been noticing is that while it seems to drop faster initially it tends to slow down a bit later in the day. Or just my imagination. I prefer the old battery meter. :p
EDIT: Some curious things I noticed after the update as far as changes, As mentioned my wifi calling was turned off and my preferred network had changed back to default of Global. Put these both back to where i had them set, but another weird thing that changed is I lost developer options. I had to go back in and do the tap dance to get it to reappear. Anyone else have any of this weirdness happen to their pixel? Or maybe it's all "normal" after an update, even a fairly minor one? I don't recall any of this with my old HTC 10, Moto's or Samsungs, but this is my first Pixel. I have the smaller P2.

Last edited:

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Why 8.1 whyyyyyyyyy
3c6456fb03cf0b13067913fbb074ad93.jpg
809ad0b80462d8031c3182a7725a641d.jpg

stuarta99

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one noticing a drain since 8.1. First days I was very impressed as my N6 would drop 3% just driving to work and doing nothing but Pixel 2 was 100% still by lunchtime. 8.1 update, dropped 2% while driving to work with 1min SOT. Now showing 5% drop after 3hrs off battery and 11m SOT.

Not bad I know but definitely it seems after the update