Looking at purchasing a new XL 2 from google, worried about this blue tint I'm hearing about

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok so I'm looking at ordering a new Pixel 2 XL but I'm a little worried about getting one with a blue tint. Is this something that more than likely is already fixed by google or is it luck of the draw?

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So all units will have blue tint because it's AMOLED,some do have it worse than others. I have had my 2xl for a month and I have to remember to look for it or you never see it.

psychoD33x

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You don't notice it even unless you look at your phone at an off angle. Even then it's not bad. Unless you have your phone propped on a table or something watching videos how often are you not looking directly at your phone? I've only had it about a week, but it's not a deal breaker. At least for me. Great phone, I just have some personal preference issues with the design

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you're concerned about the screen, go to a Verizon store or a Best Buy and look at the screen. It's always important to do a hands-on with a device before ordering online without looking at it.

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
I had the same concerns. Preordered the XL during the live event. Then reviews came out slamming the screen and the blue tint. Saw it for myself when local store got one in. Was enough to make me cancel my preorder.
Couple of weeks passed, and I was still thinking about the xl, so I thought I would get one and send back if necessary. Well, my 14 data to return ended today, and whilst I have thought about returning it, it was nothing to do with the screen or any other problem. More to do with price.
But I am keeping it

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
You shouldn't take much from cell phone reviewers and blogs. The average cell phone blogger is near the bottom of the barrel when it comes to experience or actual knowledge. Many were exposed thinking the colors were due to the LG panel, and not the graphics chip settings.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Noticed the blue tint on 1st boot up of phone on white boot screen, never seen it since, for me and my phone it's totally blown out of proportion, I highly recommend this beautiful machine
Oh yes and the battery is ace, great sound and the camera is the best
66ea629ea3ce77318bd22c337e725165.jpg

Look at this shot taken when I took my dog for a walk!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was worried about the blue tint but after getting my phone and turning it on, I tilted it, saw the slight blue tint, shrugged my shoulders and thought, "what's the big deal?"

Only time I notice the blue tint is when I lay my 2 XL on the table while eating and look at it at an oblique angle. I've taken to laying down the salt shaker on its side and propping up my phone so I view it more straight on. No blue tint.

Really is an overblown topic.

preeble

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
I must be in the minority as the blue tint was a factor in me returning my panda xl. It wasn’t the only thing, but certainly contributed. Use case : phone is on my desk to my side - all I saw was blue. In all, the XL2 had too many issues for a $1k phone.

For reference, the 2XL was an upgrade from the OG XL blue, which is a fantastic phone (except for random BT issues). I also have the iPhone X as my second phone and absolutely love it. Plus screen in the smaller form factor.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I have an xl and the blue tint thing is silly. WAY blown out of proportion.

Right on dude. Honestly, if I didn't watch any reviews of the Pixel 2 XL I would have never noticed the blue tint. I find it ridiculous that "blue tint" will now be the standard for the quality of a display. You know the first thing some tech reviewer will do when they get their hands on the Pixel 3 XL will be to look at it off angle.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Blue tint is a non issue for me and blown way out of proportion.

I've made further comments in others threads about this so if you're really interested you can search.

doorwindowtim

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Like others, I think the blue screen is *mostly* a non issue. I use an 8 plus for work, so maybe I notice it more as I'm seeing different screens, but I really notice the blue tint while browsing and any activities where the background is white, seems like poor QC for a 1K phone IMO.

I think the camera, performance and so many other aspects of the device are solid enough that I'd buy again. I'm finding myself use the squeeze aspect for GA where I probably didn't touch it for a week..

Go in to a local store that has them, pick it up.. tilt it, you'll see it I'm sure, but I don't think it's a dealkiller.