12-16-2017 12:52 AM
61 123
tools
    Be interesting to know if those who chose to factory reset because of battery fixed the issue.
    12-13-2017 03:14 PM
    im thinking of maybe factory resetting, ill report back if it improves.
    12-13-2017 04:06 PM
    Personally, I'm a big fan of clearing/reformatting the cache partition after an Android update. It seems to prevent and/or fix many of the "upgrade battery issues."
    12-14-2017 12:22 AM
    Hi,
    Does the factory reset improve your battery ?
    12-14-2017 03:16 AM
    definitely worse...losing 7 percent overnight ...was losing 2 percent or 3 at most
    12-14-2017 05:16 AM
    I'm starting to think the battery meter was not working properly on 8.0 - I was getting crazy good battery life, to the point where it was almost impossible. One day last week w/ light usage I was showing 93% battery left after being off the charger for 10 hours and about 1 hour of screen time.

We all look at that battery icon % and just assume it's accurate but how to really know?
    jrvtecaccord likes this.
    12-14-2017 08:59 AM
    I'm starting to think the battery meter was not working properly on 8.0 - I was getting crazy good battery life, to the point where it was almost impossible. One day last week w/ light usage I was showing 93% battery left after being off the charger for 10 hours and about 1 hour of screen time.

We all look at that battery icon % and just assume it's accurate but how to really know?
    I was thinking the same thing too. After about an hour off the charger and 30 minutes SOT, my phone would often be at 99-100%. That made me feel better about life, the universe and everything but it couldn't have been accurate.

Now there are some people reporting significant drops in SOT from full charge to empty with 8.1 and that to me is a more accurate metric.
    12-14-2017 09:06 AM
    Battery life seems to be normal for me since 8.1. I've also turned on PVC and showed no difference. AR on the other hand is another story, but that's to be expected for that feature.
    12-14-2017 10:25 AM
    I have taken a serious hit , but only on the final 8.1, the beta's we're fine.

I can directly attribute it to running tv on my FiOS app, and video thru chrome, they probably need an update.

I only see the battery take a hit on those things running.
    12-14-2017 11:47 AM
    I was thinking the same thing too. After about an hour off the charger and 30 minutes SOT, my phone would often be at 99-100%. That made me feel better about life, the universe and everything but it couldn't have been accurate.

Now there are some people reporting significant drops in SOT from full charge to empty with 8.1 and that to me is a more accurate metric.
    I'm also starting to wonder if this isn't maybe a more reasonable possibility. I've been judging by what the battery meter was telling me and wondering if now after 8.1 the meter was recalibrated to a more true accuracy. Still tempted to do an FDR to satisfy that curiosity tho.
    12-14-2017 12:52 PM
    My battery life is night and day after updating to 8.1. I will give it another day to be sure, but it is rather terrible. I do not want to do a factory reset as that is a PITA and should not have to be done. Usually after 4-5 hours in the A.M. after a full charge I am at 96-98% (not alot of use). I am now at 88%. I will monitor.
    12-14-2017 01:38 PM
    Personally, I'm a big fan of clearing/reformatting the cache partition after an Android update. It seems to prevent and/or fix many of the "upgrade battery issues."
    I've always been a big fan of wiping the cache partition after an OS update; however, Pixel phones do not have a cache partition. A FDR can be helpful though.
    12-14-2017 02:06 PM
    I've always been a big fan of wiping the cache partition after an OS update; however, Pixel phones do not have a cache partition. A FDR can be helpful though.
    I thought this as well and was a result of Oreo. After reading this post earlier I googled info and tried a cache partion clear following the detailed instructions and could not get it to work and after a few attempts I gave up. I think an FDR is the way to go and have no idea what the Google guy was talking about.
    12-14-2017 02:11 PM
    You could download Files Go by Google, which has an app cache clearing function.
    12-14-2017 02:56 PM
    I thought this as well and was a result of Oreo. After reading this post earlier I googled info and tried a cache partion clear following the detailed instructions and could not get it to work and after a few attempts I gave up. I think an FDR is the way to go and have no idea what the Google guy was talking about.
    Bottom line, you can't clear what doesn't exist. None of the Pixel phones, 1st or 2nd generation, have a cache partition, nothing to do with Oreo and everything to do with the way the phone is "built." Pixel phones use two partitions. When you install an OS update, it doesn't install on the partition your phone is currently using. Instead, it installs on the partition that's not in use. When you reboot your phone, it boots into the partition where the update was just installed. If something wasn't right and the installation of the update went awry, then the phone will reboot back into the previous working partition.

A FDR is a good way to clear up clutter and get a fresh start.
    cbreze likes this.
    12-14-2017 03:03 PM
    You could download Files Go by Google, which has an app cache clearing function.
    Yes, I agree, Files Go is a handy app for freeing up storage space.

The system cache partition stores temporary system data, somewhat like a temp directory, and it is completely different from an app's storage cache. The cache partition does have a tendency to become cluttered over time, thus it's good to give it a wipe now and then just to clear out the clutter, especially after an OS update. However, as previously stated, Pixel phones do not utilize nor require a cache partition.
    12-14-2017 03:39 PM
    Getting great battery life on my 2XL even with 8.1 however it's a new device. Today was my first day of ownership, was taken off charge at 6:45am and running my normal apps, no power saver, playing with the new VR stickers, using the regular camera just testing it out throughout the day, streaming podcasts for a couple of hours to my Google home mini, watching YouTube for about an hour and quite heavy on web browsing and Facebook and managed just over 7hrs screen on time with 6% left before it went back on charge.

More than happy with that tbh, so maybe those getting bad battery need a factory reset as mine updated to 8.1 almost immediately after it was turned on and connected to WiFi once I got home from buying it.
    12-14-2017 05:36 PM
    has anyone actually fixed their battery issues. I've taken a considerable hit since 8.1 - basically getting half the battery life now with new update.
    12-14-2017 06:03 PM
    has anyone actually fixed their battery issues. I've taken a considerable hit since 8.1 - basically getting half the battery life now with new update.
    I've just performed a factory reset a couple of hours ago and should have a pretty good idea by morning if it improved my battery issue. Working on setting things back up and I'm getting a good feeling about it so hopefully this is not for naught. Feeling pretty optimistic.
    12-14-2017 08:41 PM
    I've just performed a factory reset a couple of hours ago and should have a pretty good idea by morning if it improved my battery issue. Working on setting things back up and I'm getting a good feeling about it so hopefully this is not for naught. Feeling pretty optimistic.
    would be intersted to know your findings. I may try to FDR today if you can confirm that battery life is better.
    12-15-2017 07:43 AM
    For everyone getting worse battery life after updating to 8.1, are you sure it's not just that the battery is better calibrated and doesn't hang on 100% as long as it used to, which makes it seem like it's draining faster initially after taking it off the charger?
    12-15-2017 08:26 AM
    For everyone getting worse battery life after updating to 8.1, are you sure it's not just that the battery is better calibrated and doesn't hang on 100% as long as it used to, which makes it seem like it's draining faster initially after taking it off the charger?
    I'm noticing a significant dump in battery, regardless of where I am at in the charge cyle. On idle (no usuage I'm losing 8-10% over the course of a few hours.
    12-15-2017 08:34 AM
    That was my thought that was also shared by a couple of other folks here.

A more meaningful report would be some A/B results from people who had a good idea of what their SOT numbers looked like before and after the update. Still, that's hardly a controlled test. Ideally, it would be nice to see pre- and post-8.1 battery tests using automated and identical workloads.
    12-15-2017 08:37 AM
    I just got my Pixel 2 Saturday and have used it on 8.0 from Monday to Thursday. The 8.1 was was sitting on my phone ready to install since maybe Monday, but I held off to see my average battery use and what it ends up with after normal work days so I can compare post update.

After installing the update last night, it does appear to be draining faster with 0 changes on my end (besides 3 minutes of AR, which I found to drain the battery fast last night). It COULD be because of better calibration, since I would stay at 100% for what I feel is an abnormally long time. For example, on Monday I used my phone in the morning for about 20 minutes then drove 2 hours (no phone use) and it still showed 100%.

I'm inclined to think it is updated calibration, since it says I still have a day of use at my current usage (not a heavy user). But I'll be watching it over the next few days to see if I'm getting less time out of it.
    12-15-2017 10:15 AM
    I'm inclined to think it is updated calibration
    This may be the case, but shouldn't Google explain that this is part of 8.1? Maybe a new "feature"?
    12-15-2017 11:16 AM
61 123