Battery life took a hit after 8.1 update

steve cooper

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I am getting up to 4 maybe 5 hours max SOT on my XL 2 after the update a few days ago. Before that I was getting close to 6 SOT regularly. Anyone else getting similar results?

steve cooper

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
thanks, I thought I would start a specific thread about this since that subject was about the screen profile. seems like the club is growing 😒

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do we have a choice whether or not we want to upgrade to 8.1? Is it worth it?

I think the better question is ... Why not? If there is a true issue with 8.1 they will patch it again I am sure. That is one of the joys of a Google phone. Fixes can / will come versus wondering if it won't :p.

I personally did it and I am not seeing a big issue at all. Seems the same but I am hard on my phones as is.

DesertTwang

Nov 7, 2017
Visit site
I think the better question is ... Why not? If there is a true issue with 8.1 they will patch it again I am sure. That is one of the joys of a Google phone. Fixes can / will come versus wondering if it won't :p.

I personally did it and I am not seeing a big issue at all. Seems the same but I am hard on my phones as is.
Thank you for the insight. I've only had my Google phone for less than a month. Apple made me extremely gun-shy about updates. One of their recent updates turned my iPhone 6 into a sluggish, unenjoyable device that feels much older than the less than 2.5 years I've had it for...

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the insight. I've only had my Google phone for less than a month. Apple made me extremely gun-shy about updates. One of their recent updates turned my iPhone 6 into a sluggish, unenjoyable device that feels much older than the less than 2.5 years I've had it for...

I'm very gun shy about the update now. Last thing I want to do is take a hit to my battery life. Has anyone seen battery improvements? That was supposed to be part of the release notes.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm very gun shy about the update now. Last thing I want to do is take a hit to my battery life. Has anyone seen battery improvements? That was supposed to be part of the release notes.

I personally haven't noticed a difference it's not worse if anything it's about the same if not a touch better

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't understand why some people would experience a change in battery performance and others don't. I'm not suggesting it's not happening but I'm wondering if it has to do with any common denominators like third party apps or settings.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't understand why some people would experience a change in battery performance and others don't. I'm not suggesting it's not happening but I'm wondering if it has to do with any common denominators like third party apps or settings.

It's not always an app although could be for some I suppose. It's got to be something in the processes working under the hood and beyond my novice capabiities to figure out. My battery monitor apps show all working as normal regarding all apps. I've disabled some and tested others and all appears normal.
When I got my pixel over a month or so ago it was running so smooth on 8.0 , I'd put it to bed fully charged and listen to an hour of white noise waves crashing while I fell asleep. In the morning I'd wake up to either 99 or usually 100% on the battery. Now after 8.1, still runs smooth as silk, no complaints but same scenerio and I wake up to 92 or maybe 93 percent. However it drops quickly from there. I'm currently at 82% and would have been at about 95% pre-update.
Hindsight being 20/20 I'd prefer to have not updated. I've since disabled my auto update option and won't be in such a hurry next time. I still make it thru the day , but barely at times while before I'd finish the day at 30% at the least after a full 18 hours of usage. When it becomes annoying enough I'll do an FDR but for now I was hoping it might still sort itself out. FDR should fix it, I hope.
Disappointed in this because my main reason for updating was the supposed improved battery life that was already stellar.
Not fully understanding why some do not have any issues and some do, but that's the way it always seems to be with these updates.
Still love my pixel tho, best one yet!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not always an app although could be for some I suppose. It's got to be something in the processes working under the hood and beyond my novice capabiities to figure out. My battery monitor apps show all working as normal regarding all apps. I've disabled some and tested others and all appears normal.
When I got my pixel over a month or so ago it was running so smooth on 8.0 , I'd put it to bed fully charged and listen to an hour of white noise waves crashing while I fell asleep. In the morning I'd wake up to either 99 or usually 100% on the battery. Now after 8.1, still runs smooth as silk, no complaints but same scenerio and I wake up to 92 or maybe 93 percent. However it drops quickly from there. I'm currently at 82% and would have been at about 95% pre-update.
Hindsight being 20/20 I'd prefer to have not updated. I've since disabled my auto update option and won't be in such a hurry next time. I still make it thru the day , but barely at times while before I'd finish the day at 30% at the least after a full 18 hours of usage. When it becomes annoying enough I'll do an FDR but for now I was hoping it might still sort itself out. FDR should fix it, I hope.
Disappointed in this because my main reason for updating was the supposed improved battery life that was already stellar.
Not fully understanding why some do not have any issues and some do, but that's the way it always seems to be with these updates.
Still love my pixel tho, best one yet!

Are you referring to Auto update in the play Store? If yes I don't believe that impacts system updates.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to Auto update in the play Store? If yes I don't believe that impacts system updates.
Yeah, I always want to be in control of when I accept an app update so play store is always off.
There is an option in developer options to turn off system updates.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if there is a good battery app that shows system processes. I was using Gsam but it was getting clunky after the 8.1 update and not sure it was even updated for oreo. I deleted it, be funny if a battery app was my battery drain problem. Anyone know of a good one to check system processes and power usage? The app store is so loaded with them I'm unsure which one would be best.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if the enabling of the Pixel Visual Core may be related, as I didn't notice any real difference before enabling that functionality, but have definitely noticed it since (and not just when I'm using the camera app).

Have any of you experiencing considerably lessened battery life not enabled the PVC? Have any of you who have enabled the PVC not noticed a drop in (non-AR) battery life?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering if the enabling of the Pixel Visual Core may be related, as I didn't notice any real difference before enabling that functionality, but have definitely noticed it since (and not just when I'm using the camera app).

Have any of you experiencing considerably lessened battery life not enabled the PVC? Have any of you who have enabled the PVC not noticed a drop in (non-AR) battery life?

No drop here with PVC active. The AR feature is a battery hog though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12