Help me decide: Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I plan to get a Pixel 2 to replace my Moto Z Force. I like the Moto, but it isn't entirely compatible with my new uConnect. I don't care about camera quality. Battery life is important, but I like a larger screen, like on my Moto. The Verizon sales rep suggested the Pixel 2, citing screen issues, like lines and streaking, with the XL. The Pixel is cheaper, too. If anyone can give me some tips or point me to a link with a good comparison, I'll be grateful. Thanks..

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I plan to get a Pixel 2 to replace my Moto Z Force. I like the Moto, but it isn't entirely compatible with my new uConnect. I don't care about camera quality. Battery life is important, but I like a larger screen, like on my Moto. The Verizon sales rep suggested the Pixel 2, citing screen issues, like lines and streaking, with the XL. The Pixel is cheaper, too. If anyone can give me some tips or point me to a link with a good comparison, I'll be grateful. Thanks..
If battery life and bigger screen is important it must be the Pixel 2 XL. I came from a Moto Droid Turbo and the battery is better on the Pixel 2 XL.

Battery life test results:
https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

As a Ram 1500 owner with UConnect 8.4 I'm curious as to what is incompatible about UConnect with your Z Force?

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
If battery life and bigger screen is important it must be the Pixel 2 XL. I came from a Moto Droid Turbo and the battery is better on the Pixel 2 XL.

Battery life test results:
https://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

As a Ram 1500 owner with UConnect 8.4 I'm curious as to what is incompatible about UConnect with your Z Force?

Thanks. I have an '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the uConnect 4C UAQ NAV. This unit offers two methods of texting. The first allows you to send a new SMS or a reply using one of a dozen canned phrases. The second allows you to do so using free-form text through voice recognition (VR). For the most part, the option depends on the phone, which must support MAP in any case. Obviously, using VR is preferable. My Moto is not compatible to the extent that I can't send a new SMS using free-form text through VR. To use the typical SMS features, one must use the Android app and connect the phone through USB. I think that's absurd, as you may as well just throw the phone on the seat and use the Moto app. From what I understand, the Pixel 2s and the Samsung Galaxy 8 will work with VR. Folks I know don't care for the Samsung, which is much more expensive at Verizon. So, I'm inclined to get a Pixel, though I'm concerned about the negative comments about the scree.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have an '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the uConnect 4C UAQ NAV. This unit offers two methods of texting. The first allows you to send a new SMS or a reply using one of a dozen canned phrases. The second allows you to do so using free-form text through voice recognition (VR). For the most part, the option depends on the phone, which must support MAP in any case. Obviously, using VR is preferable. My Moto is not compatible to the extent that I can't send a new SMS using free-form text through VR. To use the typical SMS features, one must use the Android app and connect the phone through USB. I think that's absurd, as you may as well just throw the phone on the seat and use the Moto app. From what I understand, the Pixel 2s and the Samsung Galaxy 8 will work with VR. Folks I know don't care for the Samsung, which is much more expensive at Verizon. So, I'm inclined to get a Pixel, though I'm concerned about the negative comments about the scree.
I know with my Droid Turbo I could not send a 'free form' text using voice recognition unless I signed up for the UConnect app. I never signed up because after the free 6 month trial period it is a paid monthly service. I've been using the canned responses.

I'll attempt to send an "uncanned" text with my Pixel next time I'm in my truck.

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
If these 2 things are high priorities, Pixel 2 XL all the way.

That's odd, as according to Verizon:

Pixel 2 XL
Stand by Time Up to 5.3 Days
Usage Time Up to 26.7 Hours

Pixel 2
Stand by Time Up to 16 Days
Usage Time Up to 25.37 Hours

They're saying that Pixel 2 is much better, at least in this category. Am I missing something?

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I know with my Droid Turbo I could not send a 'free form' text using voice recognition unless I signed up for the UConnect app. I never signed up because after the free 6 month trial period it is a paid monthly service. I've been using the canned responses.

I'll attempt to send an "uncanned" text with my Pixel next time I'm in my truck.

Thanks!! That would be great, as I'm hoping to get a Pixel 2 tomorrow. If you go to https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/bluetooth-pairing.html you can check out almost any phone for compatibility. I may have to renew my uConnect and/or Sirius Guardian account after my one-year trial, but I kind of have a system of constantly renewing at the special promotional price.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site

Let's see that RAM!

00630f9ba2c388c350270ab3095a2bb7.jpg

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That's odd, as according to Verizon:

Pixel 2 XL
Stand by Time Up to 5.3 Days
Usage Time Up to 26.7 Hours

Pixel 2
Stand by Time Up to 16 Days
Usage Time Up to 25.37 Hours

They're saying that Pixel 2 is much better, at least in this category. Am I missing something?

Stand by time is how long the battery will last if it is not used for anything--no texts, no calls, no internet browsing, etc. Basically the phone is powered on and that's it.

The Pixel 2 XL has 1.3 more hours of useful battery life than the Pixel 2.

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Stand by time is how long the battery will last if it is not used for anything--no texts, no calls, no internet browsing, etc. Basically the phone is powered on and that's it.

The Pixel 2 XL has 1.3 more hours of useful battery life than the Pixel 2.

Ah, I see, Thank you for the clarification!

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Does not list Pixel 2 as an option, only goes up to original Pixel XL at least for my 2015. In any event my Pixel 2 XL pairs with my Ram 1500.

Thanks. Yes, same for my Jeep. However, I wouldn't think that Pixel 2 upgrade would offer fewer features or less compatibility. Were you able to send a free form text message?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Yes, same for my Jeep. However, I wouldn't think that Pixel 2 upgrade would offer fewer features or less compatibility. Were you able to send a free form text message?
Haven't tried it yet. Probably not until tomorrow morning. It's only 24 degrees here right now. I'm not going outside to a cold vehicle. Sorry!

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I see, Thank you for the clarification!

Battery life is very important to me but I also like smaller phones. I wanted to go with the XL because of the larger battery capacity but after 5 minutes of fiddling with both of them, I ordered the smaller one. It may not get as much screen on time as the bigger XL but I don't have any problems with the battery getting me through an entire day.