In the end, it was the camera that made the difference

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
There's a LOT to like about both the Pixel XL 2 and iPhone X. A lot. I'm not gonna get into all of it. But in the end, the camera was the ultimate trump card for me. And while the X has a very good camera, the XL 2 has a GREAT camera. I'm just going to leave these here and you can figure out which phone took which photo.

Attachments

• 9582.jpg
    9582.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 142

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
There's a LOT to like about both the Pixel XL 2 and iPhone X. A lot. I'm not gonna get into all of it. But in the end, the camera was the ultimate trump card for me. And while the X has a very good camera, the XL 2 has a GREAT camera. I'm just going to leave these here and you can figure out which phone took which photo.

Attachments

• 502267994.jpg
    502267994.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 128

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Sheesh ... Just looking at the window says it all.

Exactly. The XL 2 camera really excels (no pun intended!) in tricky lighting scenarios. As you can see, both photos taken the exact same place, with the exact same focal point and taken literally within seconds of each other.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not only the window, but look at the oversaturation of the iPhone photo. (Click on both photos so they open in new tabs, then switch between tabs) The walls around the window are practically glowing. The flowers on the floral print pillow on the couch looks like neon colors. The area around the couch leg, hardwood floor and rug is a blurry mess. Yick!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am loving the camera so far. Using it at Disney, taking pictures of my Nephew, etc. -- All so far have been wonderful :).

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am still getting used to the camera, I feel like when I am taking the pictures they look...off? But then once the post processing happens they look great. It's a weird contrast for me since on the iPhone X when I take is mostly what I get, but that isn't always a great thing. Not sure how else to describe it but I like the end result.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
I am still getting used to the camera, I feel like when I am taking the pictures they look...off? But then once the post processing happens they look great. It's a weird contrast for me since on the iPhone X when I take is mostly what I get, but that isn't always a great thing. Not sure how else to describe it but I like the end result.

It's how the Pixel processes its photos. You are right, what you see isn't exactly what you'll get once the photo is processed and saved. Usually, it ends up better than what you see in the viewfinder.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Something about the fact that the Pixel just does the job for you, and changes the photo to be different (better) from what you saw in the viewfinder, seems somewhat... unsatisfying to me?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Pixel 2 camera is ridiculous. Probably my favourite aspect of the phone.

I think that next year the flagship phones will only just catch up to the Pixel 2 camera and I'm looking forward to seeing what Google do with the Pixel 3 camera.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Something about the fact that the Pixel just does the job for you, and changes the photo to be different (better) from what you saw in the viewfinder, seems somewhat... unsatisfying to me?

It can be, but it can be rewarding too. You still have to find good light, frame your subjects properly and select a good focus point to get really good photos. What it reduces (at least on my end) is the amount of post-processing I need to make. :D

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
While most flagship phones can take incredible pictures under good circumstances, it's the Pixels' ability to take them in situations where instinct says there's no way a shot could turn out well that makes it shine for me. I think I would have to take special effort to intentionally force a bad picture in order to achieve it.

travellife

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Do you miss not being able to use manual mode for the camera? That's the one thing keeping me from going w/the Pixel 2. I understand it takes great photos but I rarely use auto mode when taking pics.