How many charge their Pixel 2's overnight?

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
In discussions about the battery life on 8.1 vs 8.0 I see a lot of people saying their phone loses a bunch more battery overnight. Which means they are not charging their phone overnight. Any particular reason?

Is it just cause your battery has plenty of juice left at night or is it something else, like an overnight charge damages the battery?

Thanks!

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Negative charge at night when watching TV off the charger at %100 or green led
Minimal drain overnight 8.1 here

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Used to but now with an all day phone battery I don't see the logic in leaving it plugged in when it only takes about 90 min to fully charge. I do the charge before bedtime. Wake to 93% and that's plenty for my day and nite till next full charge.

StayClassy101

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I only charge if I'm below 30% at night. otherwise I wait until I get to work to charge. usually I getting day - day and a half battery life.

Malathan

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Does charging overnight impact battery life? Something I thought I heard recently, so I have been avoiding my normal nightly charge and doing at desk next day instead.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Does charging overnight impact battery life? Something I thought I heard recently, so I have been avoiding my normal nightly charge and doing at desk next day instead.
I think batteries degrade with each charge cycle, and the deeper the charge cycle, eg. from 10% to 100%, the more damaging. If you charge every single night you are wearing out your battery faster than if you keep your battery between, say 40% and 90%.

I guess the bottom line is if you replace your phone every two years or sooner go ahead and charge every night, the battery will degrade but should get you to the two year mark.

If you plan on keeping the phone longer than two years I wouldn't charge every night. I'm in the "keeping more than two year" category. With the strong battery life in my 2 XL I typically go to bed with it at 60% or so. When I wake up I plug it in, do my morning routine and when I go to work 45 minutes later I typically have 90% charge or so. Sometimes I don't charge in the morning, I can make it until work is over, then plug it in.

The idea is to reduce the number of charge cycles and avoid deep charging cycles.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I never leave a phone plugged in for 8 hours. I charge it up when I'm awake. Ever since the Note 7 fiasco, I don't need a potential explosive device next to my head at night when I'm trying to sleep.

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Always charged overnight and never had poor battery life due to it either. Phone's these days don't keep charging when at 100% and trickle charge when getting towards full or when topping itself up overnight.

Although longest I'll keep a phone is two years.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I charge while I'm sleeping. When I go to bed my battery percentage is in the teens. With everything I do my devices I can never go throughout the day without plugging in once or twice and at night.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As for me, I plug in when I go to bed (typically around 9:00 PM) and nearly always unplug at around 1:00 - 2:00 AM when I just happen to wake up. From then until 5:00 AM when my alarm goes of, I typically lose around 1%.

Pixel 2 XL.

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I mostly charge overnight unless my percentage is in the 90s, I also read recently that plugging it in throughout the day a couple times it good opposed to letting the battery drain really low then plugging it in.