Useful macros if you charge overnight

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I always put my phone on charge overnight. I use MacroDroid to automatically put the phone on silent if it's charging at home and it is after 9pm. Using the macro rather than using just a time slot ensures if I'm out and about the phone doesn't go into silent mode. Thought this might be useful to some of you. Ignore the volume slider on the first screenshot - it just popped up when I took the shot.

Screenshot_20171216-163526.jpg

Screenshot_20171216-163538.jpg

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm disappointed this didn't help anybody. How do you guys set your phones to silent overnight? Do you have a better method?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed this didn't help anybody. How do you guys set your phones to silent overnight? Do you have a better method?
I don't silence mine. I keep the ringer on medium. Notification noises and text messages don't wake me up.. only phone calls. :).

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Tasker to lower, not totally silence, ringer and notification volumes by time only because I don't always charge my phone at night, so that condition is not always met when I'm sleeping.

I also use Tasker to turn on and turn off wifi when I arrive and leave Home, Work, Sister's house and Parent's house. I also set it to make sure volumes are all the way up every time I leave home. I also set my volumes lower when I arrive at work, and back up to full when I leave.

I leave BT on all the time, same with NFC. They just don't seem to drain this battery much at all.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I could turn wifi on and off manually if I wanted to. And volumes depending where I go or what time it is.

But tasker does it for me. Unlike me it doesn't forget ever. And it hasn't broken for me yet either.

Or I could manually do it every time.

Either method works. To me automating it just makes it better.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Do not disturb works fine for me. I have my favorite contacts set as exceptions to the do not disturb rule. If they call or text the notifications will work like normal. Other than that, all is silent until my set time in the morning. Works perfectly.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I could turn wifi on and off manually if I wanted to. And volumes depending where I go or what time it is.

But tasker does it for me. Unlike me it doesn't forget ever. And it hasn't broken for me yet either.

Or I could manually do it every time.

Either method works. To me automating it just makes it better.

Yes, I completely agree. I automate silent mode because I can and it's convenient. Doing it manually is like an alarm clock you have to re-set at bedtime every night vs one which remembers your schedule. Both work, but most would prefer the latter.

I use MacroDroid rather than Tasker because I find MacroDroid more logical and easier to understand and seems more akin to building blocks.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I used to use stuff like this long time back (Tasker) but now a days most of these kind of features are built into the OS already. For silence using do not disturb works great. As far as turning WiFi, Bluetooth etc, I don't see much reason to turn them off. They are always on.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I completely agree. I automate silent mode because I can and it's convenient. Doing it manually is like an alarm clock you have to re-set at bedtime every night vs one which remembers your schedule. Both work, but most would prefer the latter.

I use MacroDroid rather than Tasker because I find MacroDroid more logical and easier to understand and seems more akin to building blocks.
Why use 3rd party apps to accomplish the same things Do Not Disturb already has?

I suggest checking it out on your phone.. sounds like you haven't poked around :p. As you can see below it has schedules as well.

beb1c1d4af6aae2812eee799eec4ce75.jpg

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Why use 3rd party apps to accomplish the same things Do Not Disturb already has?

I suggest checking it out on your phone.. sounds like you haven't poked around :p. As you can see below it has schedules as well.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171218/beb1c1d4af6aae2812eee799eec4ce75.jpg

As per his first post he has two other conditions besides time that need to be met before his ringer volumes are silenced - location and being in a state of charging. None of those are options in the stock Oreo DND settings. I suggest that you poke around this thread before accusing someone of not knowing their phone :p

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As per his first post he has two other conditions besides time that need to be met before his ringer volumes are silenced - location and being in a state of charging. None of those are options in the stock Oreo DND settings. I suggest that you poke around this thread before accusing someone of not knowing their phone :p

Well I didn't accuse him of not knowing him phone -- just one option. Also I was quoting what he said there and commenting on what he said. He said he wants schedules so he doesn't have to re-set them everyday so I showed him.. that is very possible.

That is why quotes are done. I am responding to what is quoted ;).

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I didn't accuse him of not knowing him phone -- just one option. Also I was quoting what he said there and commenting on what he said. He said he wants schedules so he doesn't have to re-set them everyday so I showed him.. that is very possible.

That is why quotes are done. I am responding to what is quoted ;).

I was just being tongue in cheek about your post that said for him to poke around his phone more with a winky face, so I did the same but flipped the script :mad::D

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you idiotekniques. You are right, I want all conditions to be met so if I go out the phone won't fall into silent mode and I don't have to worry about overriding the phone DND schedule. My phone with the macro will only charge if it is connected to my home WiFi, charging and it is after 9pm. If all conditions are met I'm probably in bed and don't want to be disturbed. The Oreo DND schedule is for too simplistic.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer