The Pixel's biggest competitor is........the iPad

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a long time Apple user who decided to try the Pixel 2 XL. It took me a while to get used to the new operating system but I do seem to like it better than iOS now. However, I will be returning the phone at the end of my 14 days. Although I like it better than the iPhone, the difference is not great enough for me to switch. I also have an iPad which I use heavily and the integration with the iPhone is what will be causing me to return to the iPhone. I suspect I am not alone in this situation and this is holding back other buyers as well.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I doubt the iPad is holding as many back as you think. Sure some want the continuity that iOS offers between devices but I doubt there are many who make their phone purchasing decision based on the iPad.

An example of this would be that I personally know several people who use Macbook's but have Android phones.

Good luck with the iPhone as if it works better for you then that is all that really matters.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Android phone + iPad is an incredibly common combination. There are only really 2 or 3 Android tablets worth a damn and depending on what you use it for, in many cases the iPad can be just as good or even better for certain use cases.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm a long time Apple user who decided to try the Pixel 2 XL. It took me a while to get used to the new operating system but I do seem to like it better than iOS now. However, I will be returning the phone at the end of my 14 days. Although I like it better than the iPhone, the difference is not great enough for me to switch. I also have an iPad which I use heavily and the integration with the iPhone is what will be causing me to return to the iPhone. I suspect I am not alone in this situation and this is holding back other buyers as well.

Glad you gave the phone a fair shake. I'm curious why, in your previous post, you said "The main reason I decided to try Android is that I'm deep into the Google ecosystem and thought Android would improve my Google experience over the iPhone and I'm not seeing it yet."

A lot of people use iPad and carry Android phones. So I'm just curious if you're more integrated in iOS than you originally thought in your previous post.

Regardless, I'm glad you found the device that works best for you! Cheers!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can understand your want to have all of your devices sync flawlessly and to be using the same platform across the board. Your satisfaction is all that matters here! :)

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Windows two in one laptop/tablet here all aluminum body ,pass on the iPad tks did that before no IOS for me

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ipad owner here....no problem using both.

It's not that it's a problem, it's that it's easier when both are iOS.

-many purchased apps work on both iPad and iPhone. You have to purchase separate apps for Android.
-wifi passwords entered on one device don't have to be reentered on the other.
-iMessaging
-same cables
-find my iPhone/iPad
-etc.

Obviously those are hardly insurmountable problems. Put taken altogether it is easier to stay within the ecosystem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

-many purchased apps work on both iPad and iPhone. You have to purchase separate apps for Android.
-iMessaging
-same cables
-find my iPhone/iPad
-etc.

Obviously those are hardly insurmountable problems. Put taken altogether it is easier to stay within the ecosystem.

Makes sense. The only thing I see is iMessage as a plus. The app thing is a known thing since you're going to another OS so you can't X-Fer. I figure that should be expected before swapping. The WiFi passwords thing can be slightly annoying but how often do you truly re-enter WiFi passwords once saved? :).

Also the find my iPhone/iPad can still be used w/o an iPhone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

-iMessaging
-same cables
-find my iPhone/iPad
-etc.

It depends on your usage and expectations. I don't purchase many Apps from the App Store...mostly use the free ones.
Actually I don't purchase many Google Play apps either but more than I do from Apple. I carry my phone all the time so everything I need is on my phone.
-WiFi passwords being entered into two devices is not a biggie for me.
-iMessaging....I have no issues getting messages from my family on Android.. FaceTime is a different story but my work phone is an iPhone and I can use that.

-same cables I have no work around for but not an issue for me as I carry both for work.

-find my iPhone/iPad I have an app that can find them on Android but I never lose my phones....in use it to track my daughter's phone.

In the end it's up to you. The biggest gripe I have with IOS is lack of customization and the way Itunes handles music. I tried to go iPhone but I just can't get myself to do it

enderhexfyre

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Makes sense. The only thing I see is iMessage as a plus. The app thing is a known thing since you're going to another OS so you can't X-Fer. I figure that should be expected before swapping. The WiFi passwords thing can be slightly annoying but how often do you truly re-enter WiFi passwords once saved? :).

Also the find my iPhone/iPad can still be used w/o an iPhone.
Other than integration into other devices does imessage really offer anything that Android messages doesn't ?

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Other than integration into other devices does imessage really offer anything that Android messages doesn't ?

No.

I think the thing people are missing is that the average user is not like you. They're not posting on phone forums. They don't want to tinker to make things work. So the average person that has an iPad is most likely going to want an iPhone to go along with it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Straddling two different systems definitely isn't for everyone. I hated it when I was using a 5C for work, and most of what I hated was trying to remember where different things lived in the other OS and having different versions of different apps. But I was going the other direction, Android everything and one cheap iPhone.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
No.

I think the thing people are missing is that the average user is not like you. They're not posting on phone forums. They don't want to tinker to make things work. So the average person that has an iPad is most likely going to want an iPhone to go along with it.

And you don't have to tinker with the Pixels to make them work. You just didn't seem to like the way they worked, there's a difference.

I have an iPad that I had to tinker with to fit it in to my Google eco system. You had a pixel that you tried to fit in to your Google ecosystem. That's also another difference.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No.

I'm not missing that. I recommend iPhone for most people. I mainly am saying some of the things (such as Wifi password entering).. while convenient.. aren't something you do all day.

So far I've had no tinkering needed for my Pixel 2 XL. It would be the same if I went with iPhone. I get my apps and simply use the phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mainly just high quality video sending.

^^ iMessage is still peerless in IM services; it's only issue is that most of the world isn't using iAnything, but that's not an issue in North America/Western Europe, where pretty close to half of the population is using iPhones.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
And you don't have to tinker with the Pixels to make them work. You just didn't seem to like the way they worked, there's a difference.

I have an iPad that I had to tinker with to fit it in to my Google eco system. You had a pixel that you tried to fit in to your Google ecosystem. That's also another difference.

Agreed. It seems that the Google ecosystem isn't the center the way OP uses it, iOS is. Trying to get an Android phone to be the same as an iPhone when iOS is the center is a very different thing, for sure.

VivaTerlingua

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't really my intent to debate my decision in isolation. What I was trying to say that as long as the iPad is the most common tablet out there, I think Google is going to have a challenge selling Android phones to tablet users. Although, I don't know what percentage of smartphone users own tablets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969