The Dilemma - Exchange or not exchange?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
When I called Google directly o set up an RMA straight from google due to a black line that appeared on my display yesterday (and somehow all but disappeared today) I asked about getting a new phone since mine was just over 2 weeks old. She said oh, they never send out refurbs, just new units. FYI.

They only send out new units? Amazing!!

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
When I called Google directly o set up an RMA straight from google due to a black line that appeared on my display yesterday (and somehow all but disappeared today) I asked about getting a new phone since mine was just over 2 weeks old. She said oh, they never send out refurbs, just new units. FYI.

That might be true for now but I wonder if that's going to change as these returned units start accumulating. I highly doubt an RMA'ed device will be replaced by a new one 1 or 2 years from today. In a perfect world, maybe...

BTW, I think you made a good call on returning yours now for the display issue. That might indicate something more serious with the display and better to exchange now and get a new vs taking a chance on getting a refurb later down the road.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
That might be true for now but I wonder if that's going to change as these returned units start accumulating. I highly doubt an RMA'ed device will be replaced by a new one 1 or 2 years from today. In a perfect world, maybe...

BTW, I think you made a good call on returning yours now for the display issue. That might indicate something more serious with the display and better to exchange now and get a new vs taking a chance on getting a refurb later down the road.

I agree. They can only keep sending out new units for so long, since there seem to be a decent amount going back. I've read numerous folks on their 3rd or 4th units. But since they are sending them out now I'm gonna get a new one until it's good!

Shipped my unit back yesterday. Got a shipping notification today for the replacement, IMEI shows manufacture date of 11/24 - I was hoping for something in December but oh well.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Shipped my unit back yesterday. Got a shipping notification today for the replacement, IMEI shows manufacture date of 11/24 - I was hoping for something in December but oh well.
You mentioned something about finding out the manufacturing date. I didn't know this was possible, how did you find this?

I hope this replacement works out for you.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
new phone came - old one manufactured Oct. 24th, new one Nov. 24th. Both have blue shift, new one is decently better and definitely acceptable. Both had good sounding speakers, new one is slightly better. Both have some static during audio recordings in silent rooms with video, but new one is much more faint. Neither seems to have black crush or pixelation/graininess in screens. That's it for now.

Oh and new phone came from Illinois in brand new retail packaging with a fresh charger and cable. Also with a Verizon sim installed and bootloader locked. Which is fine - I'd rather have a free fast charger wall wart than an unlocked bootloader since I have no intention of rooting this phone. My rooting days are over.

Last edited:

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I was wrong about the quieter audio static on video recordings on the new phone. Once I upgraded to 8.1 it was just as loud. I hope the January update brings some fix for that issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca