Does Pixel 2 Have a Setting to Turn Off Screen When Placed in Pocket or Face Down?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a setting on my Droid Turbo that would turn off the screen when holding phone next to face while on a call, turn off the screen when placing phone in pocket, and turn off the screen when placing phone face down on table. I think the Droid Turbo would accomplish this by monitoring the front camera and when it didn't get much light it would turn off the display.

This saves on battery. I have my "turn display off after X minutes" set to 5 minutes because I've found 2 minutes is not enough time.

I've noticed if I place my 2 XL in my pocket with the display on it does not automatically shut off the display.

If there a setting to do this with the Pixel 2?

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called Gravity Screen and it does those two things well, among others. And as a bonus it lights your screen up when you remove it from your pocket or lift it from the table. Pretty nifty.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I didn't specifically find a setting, but even withe the AOD enabled, my screen turns off when its in my pocket and when I place it face down on a table. It's automatic for me. I'll point out that I'm using a Pixel 2, non XL, so it might be different, but I'd be surprised if it was.

My screen timeout is at 30 seconds. If my screen is on when I put it face down or in my pocket it takes the full 30 seconds to shut off. If my screen is at the AOD already, then I put it face down or in my pocket, then the screen goes completely blank in about 10-15 seconds. I think for you this means you need to wait the full 2 minutes before you'd see this unless you're already hit the power button to shutdown your screen, in which case it would happen in the 10-15 seconds range.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
It does automatically shut off the display when in your pocket. The sensor is in the top bezel. Lay your phone on a table, then cover the top bezel and the AOD will go black.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It does automatically shut off the display when in your pocket. The sensor is in the top bezel. Lay your phone on a table, then cover the top bezel and the AOD will go black.
Nope, not happening for me. Not after 30 seconds or so. I have my screen set to turn off after 5 minutes.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to 30 seconds, but I always lock before I put in my pocket. Not sure why you would put in pocket without locking it.

Why would I lock my phone before I put it in my pocket since it's going to be me that takes it out, not somebody else. hence why I have an app that will turn off the screen when it goes in my pocket, and turns it back on when I take it out.

Much more efficient and convenient IMO

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The proximity sensor on my Pixel 2 XL works just as it should. When talking on it and it's turned next to my face, the screen turns off just as it should. I put it in my pocket and since I always keep the screen turned next to my body, the screen turns off just as it should.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The proximity sensor on my Pixel 2 XL works just as it should. When talking on it and it's turned next to my face, the screen turns off just as it should. I put it in my pocket and since I always keep the screen turned next to my body, the screen turns off just as it should.
Exactly the behavior I'm looking for. Is there a setting for this?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have mine set to 30 seconds, but I always lock before I put in my pocket. Not sure why you would put in pocket without locking it.
Let's just say it's what I want to do.

Maybe I'm working on a DIY repair project, have a "how-to" video on You Tube running. Pause the video, put phone in pocket, tighten something, solder something, need to see video again, pull phone out of pocket, etc.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Let's just say it's what I want to do.

Maybe I'm working on a DIY repair project, have a "how-to" video on You Tube running. Pause the video, put phone in pocket, tighten something, solder something, need to see video again, pull phone out of pocket, etc.

Pop your finger on the FPS and you're right back where you left off.

mwboost

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Suppose I'm working on a car and I'm wearing latex gloves. Suppose I don't want to keep turning off the screen with the power button.

If you do that everyday I guess it's a problem but otherwise I can't see the big deal of locking and unlocking with the fingerprint scanner quickly.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If you do that everyday I guess it's a problem but otherwise I can't see the big deal of locking and unlocking with the fingerprint scanner quickly.

I just see that every extra thing I have to do as wasted. Since I have an app that will gladly shut off the phone screen the moment it goes into my pocket, and wake it up the moment I take it out, I am rarely pressing the lock button.

Anybody who wants this feature I urge them to try the app Gravity Screen. I found it when Screebl Pro just became too old and not updated

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It's not a big deal. It's just that my previous phone which shipped with Kit Kat OS could do it and people with Pixel 2's say their phone can do it, so I'm wondering why mine cannot.