(SOLVED) Google Assistant Notification Sound Issue

davidwilp

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Google Assistant wasn't making the usual notification sound to let me know it was active. I read you had to turn on "switch access" in settings to make it work. I did that yesterday and it worked fine. Today my volume control buttons stopped working. I read you have to turn off switch access and when I did volume buttons worked but no assistant notification. damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I cheeked the setting on my Pixel XL where everything worked fine and switch access has always been off. Anyone have any answers?

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Assistant Notification Sound Issue

Google Assistant wasn't making the usual notification sound to let me know it was active. I read you had to turn on "switch access" in settings to make it work. I did that yesterday and it worked fine. Today my volume control buttons stopped working. I read you have to turn off switch access and when I did volume buttons worked but no assistant notification. damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I cheeked the setting on my Pixel XL where everything worked fine and switch access has always been off. Anyone have any answers?

Under Settings - Sound - Advanced, I have everything turned ON and everything functions as it should.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

This is one of those inexplicable "features" that google adds to things that actually breaks something useful. Not sure why they thought removing the audio cue from something that is meant to be used without touching the phone was a good thing. But they did. I had the same experience you did... turning on the accessability settings broke volume controls.

davidwilp

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I found an answer that works for now. In Settings> Accessibility, the top item in my list is "volume key shortcut". This was set to on. I turned it off and for now both the volume buttons work and the assistant notification.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084