Customising the news feed

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
In the google assistant newsfeed (swipe left from homescreen), when I get stories I'm not interested in, I know I can tap the menu on the story and will get the option to say 'Not interested in XXXXX'.

Except... if it's a story about football (and for some unfathomable reason I get a LOT of stories about football, maybe Google is stereotyping me for being English!), I get the option to say I'm not interested in the particular team/player/manager/fan/small animal that is somehow associated with a team, etc. I never get the option to say I'm not interested in football AT ALL (or any sports to be honest).

Is there anyway to do this? Seems a strange omission, surely it's a pretty simple category to like or dislike, I've tried google's forums and they weren't able to answer it, hoping someone here may know the secret trick...? I have already gone into the settings and turned off all sports updates, it makes no difference

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
At the top right corner of the page, tap the three-dot menu then tap Customize feed. On the next page, scroll down to the Sports section and see what you can accomplish there.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I've tried that, it's set to no sports updates but Google doesn't care, it still sends me them.

There also doesn't seem to be anyway to manually add to the not interested list, you have to do it via a particular story, but it always categorises it far too precisely, so I have to say I'm not interested in a particular team or player. It's all just football to me and a waste of bandwidth 😫

RustyFJ

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same problem and it’s bl**dy annoying. I have no interest in football whatsoever but Google has suddenly decided I might be interested over the past few days. I have said ‘Not interested in <footballer name>’ constantly but Google doesn’t care and keeps giving me at least 2-3 football stories at a time, often for footballers I’ve already said I’m not interested in.

I wonder if this is a bug of some sort?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12