Google’s Newest Pixel Devices Outperform the iPhone X During Christmas Weekend

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
"We analyzed Android and Apple devices to see which ones experienced the highest lift over Christmas weekend.

In what might be a surprise given the iPhone X’s performance over Thanksgiving weekend, it was Google’s Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL that showed the largest lift in new activations. The iPhone X came in at number three, while the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus rounded out the top five."

Google’s Newest Pixel Devices Outperform the iPhone X During Christmas Weekend | Localytics

Good news for Google!

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
I don't know anyone other than my mom and an aquaintance that has a pixel 2. There's like 4-5 people who got the iphone X at work

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anyone other than my mom and an aquaintance that has a pixel 2. There's like 4-5 people who got the iphone X at work

There's two of us at my job that has a Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL and no one has an iPhone X. Most people at my work use an older model iPhone (my work has ~25 people).

bnice

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple hasn't brag about sale lately like they did in the past. Every launch was record breaking back then. Now, not so much and many dont have an iPhone x from my public experience.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple hasn't brag about sale lately like they did in the past. Every launch was record breaking back then. Now, not so much and many dont have an iPhone x from my public experience.

Yeah hard for them to. When the base model of your new phone starts at $1k a lot of people are going to halt on that note alone. Plus some people truly hate change and went with the 8/8+ due to that.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I dunno, everyone seems to know of the iPhone X. I've had people ask me what phone I have and react like "wtf is a Pixel 2 XL?"

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I dunno, everyone seems to know of the iPhone X. I've had people ask me what phone I have and react like "wtf is a Pixel 2 XL?"

I mean, of course ... Apple's been making and marketing phones for a decade. This is just the 2nd Pixel. I wouldn't expect the recognition to be the same.

The report is pretty good, even if Pixel adopters are still pretty small... Maybe 5 million by this time next year, I hope.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Honestly hard to believe. Verizon + Google store availability compared to all carrier availability for iPhone X and iPhone being more common device.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
That makes sense. VZW is pitching 300 dollars off the Pixel, while everyone else is asking for a large amount down to finance the X. I normally get my kids new phones as a Christmas gift (the appearance of luxury but normally cost me very little cash out of pocket lol) and I just couldn't do 3 X's this year.

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I think the Google marketing they have been doing has paid off. I had two people over the past few days call me to say they broke thier iPhone and wanted my opinion of the Pixel 2. And these aren't forum readers at all.

So yes there is awareness of the Pixel out there and that's a good thing.

Oh and they both purchased the Pixel 2 and love them so far.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Highest lift is much different than most sales but still good news for the Pixel!

^^ That distinction is the critical one.

Sales of one phone model relative to another tend to be effected by brand recognition/tenure and availability, all of which areas in which iPhone completely dominates the Pixel line. This is specifically gauging change of sales volume of a model against itself from a time shortly after launch (at least, for the Pixels and iPhones) to sales over Christmas weekend, which lends insight into change of brand perception/acceptance.

To the degree to which the data from the article is valid, the Pixel 2 XL appreciated about a 9% stronger positive change then the iPhone X. The Pixel 2's growth was about 34% stronger, but to remove the obvious pricing disparity from being such a big factor, it might be fairer to compare it to the more similarly priced and sized iPhone 8, against which it enjoyed roughly 118% stronger pickup.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Highest lift is much different than most sales but still good news for the Pixel!

To clarify, we're talking about the Pixels selling more Pixels over their normal sales levels and that percent increase over mean is more than the percent increase measured the same way of iPhones over the normal sales levels for iPhones. It does not imply in any way that Pixels outsold iPhones.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
To clarify, we're talking about the Pixels selling more Pixels over their normal sales levels and that percent increase over mean is more than the percent increase measured the same way of iPhones over the normal sales levels for iPhones. It does not imply in any way that Pixels outsold iPhones.

I know that and you know that but the majority of the people skimming headlines probably don't know that. The headline is written to confuse.

The really story is Google was nowhere to be seen in terms of devices activated. :(

Apple Wins 2017 Smartphone Holiday Season | Flurry Blog

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I think the Google marketing they have been doing has paid off. I had two people over the past few days call me to say they broke thier iPhone and wanted my opinion of the Pixel 2. And these aren't forum readers at all.

So yes there is awareness of the Pixel out there and that's a good thing.

Oh and they both purchased the Pixel 2 and love them so far.

Yep, I have noticed that more people actually have heard about the Pixel phones, and these are people who don't even follow this stuff.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1