Will google really wait till October 2018 to replace the screen?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Whether you notice it or not the screen on the 2XL has issues. It may not bother you but the blue tint is there, the screen is flawed and for such an expensive phone it is not right.

I can see LG limping on with the same screen in the V30 until the G7 launches in the spring but I do wonder if Google can afford to wait until next Autumn?

Could we see a revised P2XL sooner?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
it doesn't warrant a full screen replacement. the iPhone X has the same issues which Apple pre-warned their users about. you think they're gonna go and replace the screens on the X's?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I own an IPX and a V30 and the blueshift is night and day between the 2, my V30 is also consistent with my friends P2XL (he has had 2returned his first hoping for a better screen) Have also owned an S7, S8 and S8+ all OLEDs and have never seen anything as bad as the 2XL (or V30)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
It's a non-issue to 99.9% of the people who own a Pixel 2 XL. So no, they won't be revamping the design and components after only a couple months.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Whether you notice it or not the screen on the 2XL has issues. It may not bother you but the blue tint is there, the screen is flawed and for such an expensive phone it is not right.

I can see LG limping on with the same screen in the V30 until the G7 launches in the spring but I do wonder if Google can afford to wait until next Autumn?

All of the iPhone X's in my office have greater color shift at off-angle viewing than my Pixel 2 XL, and the Galaxy S8/S8+ have them to only a slightly lesser extent. Google was simply foolish for not anticipating the extent to which people would solely focus criticism of an intrinsic characteristic of OLED screens against them, and Apple had the opportunity to get out in front of it by disclosing it - as an intrinsic characteristic.

If anything, further production runs will likely run under tighter tolerances and QA, but it's extremely unlikely they would shift to a wholly different panel.

jmg1975

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think I'm the only one who likes the screen .... I really do...I have it on boosted and think the screen is the most natural and non eye straining screen I've had on a phone ....now... charging....that's a whole different issue

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see nothing changing with the phone. I am sure in the Pixel 3 they may re-think it but they aren't going to redesign the Pixel 2 to change that now.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The complaints about the screen are nonsense. I don't notice a blue shift at all. The color balance has been addressed in 8.1. When I put the 2XL next to my old Nexus 6P I barely see any difference, if anything I prefer the 2XL. Everything else about the phone is great. The camera is as good as everyone says, it's performance is as fast as you could hope for.

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
No issues with the screen here, yes it has blue shift but so do plenty of other phones... Including the iPhone X.

News outlets and vloggers needed something "bad" to report on, and blew the issue up. There are some that are defective, any mass produced piece of technology will encounter this.

Screen technology will have moved on again by October 2018 and the Pixel 3 should be amazing if they improve on an already amazing device so can't wait to see what they do.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site

No. Because if they did replace the displays in the current run, the vast majority of people who already own a 2XL with the original hardware would be clamoring for a replacement. Even the fanboys who won't hear a disparaging word said against Google.

DarkNeo

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
They are obviously using different panels. One replacement I got was far worse than my original phone. The other was better than the first two I got. Next to one another, same brightness, same color setting, they looked different.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They are probably going to or already tightened up quality control on screen manufacturing tolerances but don't expect them to change the screen quality. Meaning may be there will less defective screens going forward but the blue tint isn't going away. It's there on all AMOLED screens and yes it's probably little bit more pronounced on the pixel 2 XL than other better AMOLED screens. But at this point they are stuck with LG panels for the pixel 2 XL and it will only be in Pixel 3 they will reevaluate what to do. Either LG steps up on the panel (we will know soon when G7 releases) or they will probably go to Samsung to supply panels for both regular and XL models. I do think they will still stick with LG panels on at least one of the models given the huge investment Google made on LG display.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It won't be the same panel from LG on the Pixel 3. It'll either be their second gen panel or improved revision to the panel they have out now.

The panel currently doesn't bother me but it does have issues. The blue tint is def more pronounced at a smaller angle than other devices.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Maybe they quietly already fixed it? The 2 2XLs I have seen had such a bad blue shift I could not believe anybody would describe it as a non-issue

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they quietly already fixed it? The 2 2XLs I have seen had such a bad blue shift I could not believe anybody would describe it as a non-issue

I mean if I tilt mine 45 or more I see it.. I just don't look at my phone like that. Some who mess with it on a desk I could see being bothered but that just isn't how I use my phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This screen will remain with the Pixel 2 XL's.

What will be interesting is what Google will do next year with the Pixel 3. We don't know how much LG's OLED screen tech will have improved in a years time, and if it hasn't improved much, will Google stick with the LG OLED screens or will they go to Samsung's AMOLED or to an LCD screen?

Overblown or not, the Pixel 2 XL has been hit hard with the reports of screen issues:

- Blue tint when viewed even slightly off angle
- Burn in after only a short time
- Grain/dirty/textured screen
- Black crush
- Black smear at low brightness

I think that covers everything. And that's just the screen alone - it has had a plethora of other issues by related to the screen. In 2017, that's really not a greatpanel, and while a lot of those things may not affect people on a day to day basis, if you're paying top dollar for a phone, you should expect a top of the line screen.

I personally would have no issue if Google went to an LCD display next year if LG's panels still aren't up to par. Or go to Samsung's of they're not too busy making screens for their S9/S9+/Note9 and the new iPhone screens.

I certainly hope Google won't have a repeat of the issues next year. They don't want the Pixel brand associated with poor displays.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
The complaints about the screen are nonsense. I don't notice a blue shift at all. The color balance has been addressed in 8.1. When I put the 2XL next to my old Nexus 6P I barely see any difference, if anything I prefer the 2XL. Everything else about the phone is great. The camera is as good as everyone says, it's performance is as fast as you could hope for.

Same here,the only time I saw any noticeable blue shift on the screen was on the initial boot up and have not seen it since. I only have the 2XL as I was due an upgrade on my account. My previous phone was also a 6P (which I still think is a great device) but the difference between the two phones is that the 2XL is much faster and has a better camera...the screen problems don`t exist for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Non issue on everyone one I've seen and owned. All phones have a form of shift whether you notice it or not.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I personally would have no issue if Google went to an LCD display next year if LG's panels still aren't up to par. Or go to Samsung's of they're not too busy making screens for their S9/S9+/Note9 and the new iPhone screens.

While Google certainly doesn't mind eating money on bad investments, they gave LG almost $1B to help advance the development of their display tech. So, I doubt they would jump ship to a different tech/manufacturer after 1 generation.

Personally, I'm eager for LG highly improve their mobile displays (even though I also enjoy Samsung having Apple in a stranglehold), so I'm hoping that investment will indeed speed things up.