Pixel 2 defaulting to speakerphone

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
Not sure when this started, I'm on 8.1 but my phone is not defaulting to speaker phone when making and answering calls... The speaker phone button is not highlighted as if it's selected and the only way to fix it is to select and unselect the speaker button... Thoughts?

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure when this started, I'm on 8.1 but my phone is not defaulting to speaker phone when making and answering calls... The speaker phone button is not highlighted as if it's selected and the only way to fix it is to select and unselect the speaker button... Thoughts?

I think I get what you are saying. My Pixel 2 has gone to speakerphone a few times when I place a call or answer a call. I did not select speakerphone and it is not highlighted. Only way to correct it is to select speakerphone and then turn it off. Everything goes back to normal after that.

I've not found any cause for it other than 8.1. That is when mine started doing it. It's not a constant thing with me. Just happens once in a while and usually when making and receiving back to back calls.

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Do you mean it IS defaulting to speakerphone? Mine has done this a couple times recently.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering a factory data reset. I've had some weird things happening on my Pixel 2 that were not happening before 8.1. Or at least I didn't notice them as much before 8.1. Nothing real problematic but not normal. The reset will eat up a little time but may be worth it in the long run. I may give it a shot this evening if I get time. We are headed out for a little right now and I'll try to do it when I get home and report back.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
No time for reset this evening. Ended up stopping for pizza with my wife at a favorite place of ours and watching a bowl game while there. Maybe later. Battery performed perfect today and no speakerphone issues... I just don't know...😕

fiddell

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Having the same problem with my 2 XL Verizon on 8.1. At first I thought I was hearing through earpiece because the volume was high but it is definitely going to speakerphone when I make a call. Not always, however, but quite annoying nonetheless. Does anyone know if Google is aware of this problem?

xlerate

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Having same issue with my Pixel 2 XL, 8.1.

FWIW: in my tests, calls initiated via assistant (squeeze) default to Speakerphone.

Calls made via dialer function as expected (not speakerphone).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Having same issue with my Pixel 2 XL, 8.1.

FWIW: in my tests, calls initiated via assistant (squeeze) default to Speakerphone.

Calls made via dialer function as expected (not speakerphone).

It tells you in assistant that it's making a call on speaker....I guess that's the default for assistant

xlerate

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It tells you in assistant that it's making a call on speaker....I guess that's the default for assistant

Currently in my assistant settings, do not see setting noting calls made in speaker. I only see hand free headset settings.

Where exactly are you referring to?

dmits

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Mine answers with speakerphone after I had used the speaker to listen to a voice mail. It may be a couple hours later but it will answer through speaker and only go to earpiece by pressing speaker twice.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If this is happening when you aren't using Assistant, try wiping the cache and data in the Phone App, then reboot.

Andreas Lagos

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
i had originally force stop google services framework to get the december update and it messed up a lot of things in my phone, including this. i just did a hard reset with no backup and it is no longer defautling to speakerphone. fyi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34