I tried a Pixel 2 XL, and yes, the screen is as they said it

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So I finally had a chance to try a Pixel 2 XL. It's a store unit, so do take my findings with a grain of salt, but it's also been there only for a few days so it's unlikely that it's conditions would have caused anything so soon.

First of all, I love the satin finish. Yes, it means it doesn't really feel like metal but I really don't mind. This feels good and actually helps with grip. And I actually love the look overall, especially since the front reminds me of the Nexus 6 a fair bit.

I've only had limited time with the camera so I can't properly judge it minus how it's fast and preliminary images looked great. And it being a store unit with demo firmware means I can't properly test performance but it is snappy.

But, the screen.
I really need to say this. This thing is "cool“, and by that, I mean the color temperature when you shift it off axis. I only tilt it a little bit (5-8 degrees) and it has already shifted blue, and gets even more noticeable the further I go. However, looking at it head on, it looks fine.

To add insult to injury however, a "G" has already left remnants of retention in the middle of the display. It's slight and should clear over time but it was there.

Let me clarify a few things though. First of all, OLEDs have color shift. My Note8 shifts slightly red in the same conditions (it's not as obvious as the Pixel but it's there) and I tried 3 different LG V30s and they shifted at different angles and different axes. What does this mean? It's probably related by batch.

Does this sour the 2 XL for me? It's hard to say. This particular one was pretty annoying but there's a chance that another one I'd take has less significant shift. And even then, I really like the overall package, so if I have a unit that doesn't shift as badly, it's probably likely that I'll keep it.

Attachments

• 4977.jpg
    4977.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 176

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The G in the middle is because it's a demo unit, so the screen brightness will be maxed, and it goes through the same preview.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The G in the middle is because it's a demo unit, so the screen brightness will be maxed, and it goes through the same preview.
It's IR, but I wasn't expecting it to be that noticeable.

It'll perhaps go away over time.

Furthermore, I doubt that when I get one, it'll be as bad as this particular one.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Since it's a demo unit, did they bother to update it to 8.1? That probably would make a difference. Also, at least for me, the first black 2 xl I got the blue tint was more noticeable. The panda 2 xl I have now which I assume is a later batch, I can't see any blue tint. Not sure if that make a difference since I assume the demo unit is of an earlier batch?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Since it's a demo unit, did they bother to update it to 8.1? That probably would make a difference. Also, at least for me, the first black 2 xl I got the blue tint was more noticeable. The panda 2 xl I have now which I assume is a later batch, I can't see any blue tint. Not sure if that make a difference since I assume the demo unit is of an earlier batch?
It came in recently, but I haven't checked.

The colors did look saturated though.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I see, I guess every unit can be different, my brightness is set to around 50% and I really can't see the blue tint even if I try. Also my standard is probably lower than others since I didn't care before even though I had a unit with the blue tint very noticeable.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I see, I guess every unit can be different, my brightness is set to around 50% and I really can't see the blue tint even if I try. Also my standard is probably lower than others since I didn't care before even though I had a unit with the blue tint very noticeable.
It's likely batch related.

I presume that if I buy one, it's not as bad

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I used to think that way, but I think the screen, at least the one on my Pixel 2 XL, is just as good as any other OLED screen I used this year. In fact, the off axis blue shifting is more noticeable on the S8 Active than it is on the 2 XL.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
It's IR, but I wasn't expecting it to be that noticeable.

It'll perhaps go away over time.

Furthermore, I doubt that when I get one, it'll be as bad as this particular one.

It's a demo unit. The key being, demo. It shows the same image, sequence all day, at Max brightness. So of course there is going to be IR/Burn in. Trying to compare a demo unit to an actual phone in hand is a lot different. It's more there to get a feel of it, and how it's looks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah demo units are subject to retention and burn in way more then a phone with normal use.

That goes for any phone.. Samsung, Google, LG, etc.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a demo unit. The key being, demo. It shows the same image, sequence all day, at Max brightness. So of course there is going to be IR/Burn in. Trying to compare a demo unit to an actual phone in hand is a lot different. It's more there to get a feel of it, and how it's looks.
That's why I had to put that disclaimer.

I reckon it would be fine if I bought one

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
All these screen issues are the reason I'm hesitant to switch from my S8+. Some of you mentioned about the color shifting begin apparent on other OLED screens but I'm not seeing anything on my S8+ or the S8 or S7E I had earlier. I may have to see one in person before switching.

wrecklass

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine has a noticable blue shift when viewed off axis. That said it's mitigated by three things. I always turn my screen brightness down. Almost to the very minimum. I've always done this because bright screens hurt my eyes, and the up battery.

Second I almost never look at the phone off axis.

And lastly I prefer dark modes in all of the apps that support it. Again because it's easier on the eyes and it burns less battery on OLED's. This reduces the amount of blue shift to the point that I had practically forgotten about it until this thread.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
All these screen issues are the reason I'm hesitant to switch from my S8+. Some of you mentioned about the color shifting begin apparent on other OLED screens but I'm not seeing anything on my S8+.

I just got back from bluewater (a mall to our US chums) and played with 5 more 2xls in several shops. Every one was consistent with the previous I have used for blueshift.

The screen on the S8+ is better, much better imo. The software and overall experience is though better on the pixel.

If you do decide to switch (based on my observations at least)expect a noticeable blueshift when viewing at any angle other than straight on. They could of course have sent all the defective units to Blighty so yours could be fine, but yes most definitely try before you buy!

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I just got back from bluewater (a mall to our US chums) and played with 5 more 2xls in several shops. Every one was consistent with the previous I have used for blueshift.

The screen on the S8+ is better, much better imo. The software and overall experience is though better on the pixel.

If you do decide to switch (based on my observations at least)expect a noticeable blueshift when viewing at any angle other than straight on. They could of course have sent all the defective units to Blighty so yours could be fine, but yes most definitely try before you buy!
I'm here in the UK too and my screen is fine, with very minimal blue shift so we can't have all got bad units here lol.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
So I finally had a chance to try a Pixel 2 XL. It's a store unit, so do take my findings with a grain of salt, but it's also been there only for a few days so it's unlikely that it's conditions would have caused anything so soon.

First of all, I love the satin finish. Yes, it means it doesn't really feel like metal but I really don't mind. This feels good and actually helps with grip. And I actually love the look overall, especially since the front reminds me of the Nexus 6 a fair bit.

I've only had limited time with the camera so I can't properly judge it minus how it's fast and preliminary images looked great. And it being a store unit with demo firmware means I can't properly test performance but it is snappy.

But, the screen.
I really need to say this. This thing is "cool“, and by that, I mean the color temperature when you shift it off axis. I only tilt it a little bit (5-8 degrees) and it has already shifted blue, and gets even more noticeable the further I go. However, looking at it head on, it looks fine.

To add insult to injury however, a "G" has already left remnants of retention in the middle of the display. It's slight and should clear over time but it was there.

Let me clarify a few things though. First of all, OLEDs have color shift. My Note8 shifts slightly red in the same conditions (it's not as obvious as the Pixel but it's there) and I tried 3 different LG V30s and they shifted at different angles and different axes. What does this mean? It's probably related by batch.

Does this sour the 2 XL for me? It's hard to say. This particular one was pretty annoying but there's a chance that another one I'd take has less significant shift. And even then, I really like the overall package, so if I have a unit that doesn't shift as badly, it's probably likely that I'll keep it.
Well, I went and bought one, hoping the screen wouldn't be so bad for a new retail unit now that Google has had some time. I have a Note 8. I can't stand the screen on the XL 2. I used it for a whole 2 days before switching back to my Note. I loved the rest of the phone, but the screen is a deal breaker for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol