Buying Used Pixel 2?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if buying a used Pixel 2 XL inherits the unlimited google pics upload for 2 years - or does that stay with the original owner as he set up the phone originally?

Alternatively what happpens if buying a sealed unused unit from eBay or Craigslist? (not directly from Google Playstore). Does Google treat the set up as if they sold you the unit in this case and gives the unlimited storage?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if buying a used Pixel 2 XL inherits the unlimited google pics upload for 2 years - or does that stay with the original owner as he set up the phone originally?

Alternatively what happpens if buying a sealed unused unit from eBay or Craigslist? (not directly from Google Playstore). Does Google treat the set up as if they sold you the unit in this case and gives the unlimited storage?
Yes the unlimited original quality uploads is based on the phone not the owner. Google photos will recognize it's a pixel and offer you the unlimited original quality uploads. Doesn't matter who bought the phone.

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
After two years whatever you have uploaded remains as it was before. However to add to that, you'd have to pay a subscription or charges are, get the latest pixel phone which will probably continue to offer this as an incentive for people to upgrade every two years at least.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So what happens after 2 years? Will the pictures get downgraded or delete?
Whatever that was updated till that point will be in original quality and no your photos will not get deleted or downgraded. New ones you can change the setting to upload for free in high quality. Or if you can want you can continue to upload in original quality but it'll start counting against you Google account storage quota.

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes the unlimited original quality uploads is based on the phone not the owner. Google photos will recognize it's a pixel and offer you the unlimited original quality uploads. Doesn't matter who bought the phone.

Thx Bhatech! So even though the first user may have uploaded lots of pics on G Photos from whenever he purchased a few months ago, if he wipes it clean and then I set up the phone with my gmail now, I start fresh with my uploads using the remaining balance of that phone's two year uploads?

Posted via Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thx Bhatech! So even though the first user may have uploaded lots of pics on G Photos from whenever he purchased a few months ago, if he wipes it clean and then I set up the phone with my gmail now, I start fresh with my uploads using the remaining balance of that phone's two year uploads?

Posted via Android Central App
Yes that's correct it's got nothing to do with which account the phone is associated with. All Pixel 2 phones get unlimited "ORIGINAL QUALITY" free uploads till end of 2020. During that time the phone can pass on to multiple owners, you can reset phone whatever the circumstance doesn't matter.

Fine print from Google store site:

"Free, unlimited original-quality storage for photos and videos taken with Pixel through the end of 2020, and free, unlimited high-quality storage for photos taken with Pixel afterwards."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX