01-04-2018 10:21 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi there, new to the Android forums.

I'm currently using a Lumia 950, looking to move to Android in the somewhat-near future and have been researching/window shopping. I'm starting to lean towards the Pixel 2. I like the idea of a straight Android phone and more frequent updates, though I really abhor the lack of a headphone jack.

I plan on using numerous Microsoft services on the phone, probably using the app Nine to continue using Outlook contacts/email/calendar/etc, and probably installing some sort of launcher (Microsoft, Launcher 10, Squarehome, etc.)

So, like I said, I'm still researching and not in a giant hurry. The Huawei Mate 10 seems interesting and looks like it will be coming to AT&T (and possibly Verizon) which seems to garner very positive reviews internationally, but it is heavily skinned and will have plenty of bloatware. I don't particularly care for the Samsung Galaxy phones.

So, are there other big differences between the Android phones to consider? Are the UI skins a big issue? Is the Pixel 2 a smart move?
    Any particular reason you want to use Nine instead of the Official Microsoft apps that are available in Android?

By the way give:
    Pixel 2 XL
    Huawei Mate10 Pro
    LG V30
    HTC U11+

A good look.
    01-04-2018 03:15 PM
    Any particular reason you want to use Nine instead of the Official Microsoft apps that are available in Android?
    I'm not the OP but I use Nine because it does a perfect job with syncing contacts and calendar with Outlook hosted email addresses.

The Microsoft Outlook app is only good with contacts, but it doesn't even connect to the phone calendar which is a fail. I'm going to guess that the OP is aware of this.
    Laura Knotek and Tsepz_GP like this.
    01-04-2018 06:34 PM
    Well, I ended up switching today and getting the Pixel 2. I've been playing with it and setting it up for awhile. So far, I'm liking the phone itself. Certainly buttery smooth and fast. Such a change from my Lumia 950!

I'm not the OP but I use Nine because it does a perfect job with syncing contacts and calendar with Outlook hosted email addresses.

The Microsoft Outlook app is only good with contacts, but it doesn't even connect to the phone calendar which is a fail. I'm going to guess that the OP is aware of this.
    Yes, this is why I wanted to go with Nine, which I've set up. Question though: Since I needed to enter my Google account for the Play Store, it initially synced all my contacts from Gmail. When I set up my Outlook contacts in Nine, I now have duplicate contacts everywhere: dialer, SMS, contacts. I turned off syncing for Gmail contacts, but is there an easy way to get rid of the Gmail contacts throughout the phone?

Edit: The fingerprint scanner is pretty slick! Enjoying that very much.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-04-2018 09:57 PM
    Well, I ended up switching today and getting the Pixel 2. I've been playing with it and setting it up for awhile. So far, I'm liking the phone itself. Certainly buttery smooth and fast. Such a change from my Lumia 950!

Yes, this is why I wanted to go with Nine, which I've set up. Question though: Since I needed to enter my Google account for the Play Store, it initially synced all my contacts from Gmail. When I set up my Outlook contacts in Nine, I now have duplicate contacts everywhere: dialer, SMS, contacts. I turned off syncing for Gmail contacts, but is there an easy way to get rid of the Gmail contacts throughout the phone?

Edit: The fingerprint scanner is pretty slick! Enjoying that very much.
    Congrats on the Pixel 2!

Yeah, just go to accounts, tap the Google account logo and turn off sync for contacts there. After doing that, don't forget to set your default contacts account to be saved to Nine. (I think you have this option in the contacts app)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-04-2018 10:21 PM
29 12