Move from Windows phone to Pixel 2?

Dirigent82

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Hi there, new to the Android forums. :)

I'm currently using a Lumia 950, looking to move to Android in the somewhat-near future and have been researching/window shopping. I'm starting to lean towards the Pixel 2. I like the idea of a straight Android phone and more frequent updates, though I really abhor the lack of a headphone jack.

I plan on using numerous Microsoft services on the phone, probably using the app Nine to continue using Outlook contacts/email/calendar/etc, and probably installing some sort of launcher (Microsoft, Launcher 10, Squarehome, etc.)

So, like I said, I'm still researching and not in a giant hurry. The Huawei Mate 10 seems interesting and looks like it will be coming to AT&T (and possibly Verizon) which seems to garner very positive reviews internationally, but it is heavily skinned and will have plenty of bloatware. I don't particularly care for the Samsung Galaxy phones.

So, are there other big differences between the Android phones to consider? Are the UI skins a big issue? Is the Pixel 2 a smart move?

andrew.harris

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi there, new to the Android forums. :)

I'm currently using a Lumia 950, looking to move to Android in the somewhat-near future and have been researching/window shopping. I'm starting to lean towards the Pixel 2. I like the idea of a straight Android phone and more frequent updates, though I really abhor the lack of a headphone jack.

I plan on using numerous Microsoft services on the phone, probably using the app Nine to continue using Outlook contacts/email/calendar/etc, and probably installing some sort of launcher (Microsoft, Launcher 10, Squarehome, etc.)

So, like I said, I'm still researching and not in a giant hurry. The Huawei Mate 10 seems interesting and looks like it will be coming to AT&T (and possibly Verizon) which seems to garner very positive reviews internationally, but it is heavily skinned and will have plenty of bloatware. I don't particularly care for the Samsung Galaxy phones.

So, are there other big differences between the Android phones to consider? Are the UI skins a big issue? Is the Pixel 2 a smart move?
I moved from a Lumia 920 about 2 years ago now. I'm currently using the Oppo r7s with LineageOS. I'm looking at moving to a Nokia 6 or 8.

I went through a lot of the Launchers including the Microsoft one but have always come back to Nova. In the end I found the transition to android relatively seamless.

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
You could also check out Motorola phones. They are pretty much pure Android with a few super helpful Moto gestures included.
I love my Pixel 2 though. It edged out Moto for me because of the smaller size and outstanding camera. You can't go wrong with either brand imo.

StayClassy101

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've used the Moto g5 plus prior to the pixel 2. it's a great alternative if you want a headphone jack. only downside I experienced is lack of updates and low speaker volume with poor daylight visibility. pixel 2 is great for updates, camera and battery life. dual speakers are amazing. the lack of headphone jack does suck but with a phone this good and powerful any launcher will be a breeze to use on this beauty.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The Pixel 2 gets great reviews, but I'd suggest that you get a look at it before you buy, if you can. Based on numbers alone, it looks like the Lumia may have a bit of a better screen than the Pixel. The Pixel also doesn't have wireless charging or place for a SD card. On the other hand, you'll get the updates, water resistance and apparently one of the best, if not THE best, phone camera currently on the market. And if you tend to hang on to phones for a while, the 2 year hardware warranty is really nice. The Pixel also has a bit more RAM, a faster and newer (and more power efficient) CPU and Google has apparently tuned the hardware really well for a very smooth experience.

So, if you are ok with the screen, you should do well with the Pixel. If it's too pricey for you the Moto G series is worth looking at, but you should definitely look at the screen.

Also, if you don't care about VR, give a look at the Nokia 6 and 8. The 6 is on par with the Moto G series, but the 8 is closer to the top of the mid range. And although the screen is LCD, it looks like it might be really nice. I haven't seen the 8 personally, but the one 6 that I handled was very nice - good solid build, reasonably good performance and nice looking screen.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have been using Android for almost 3 years now. I had no issues making the transition. I used 2 Moto phones, and now I have an LG V20. I use Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices, so whatever launchers or skins come with a phone don't have any effect on me. I've been happy with Android and don't miss anything from Windows Phone any longer.

applezen

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Long time Lumia user here. Had the Lumia 1020, Lumia 930, Lumia 1520 and Lumia 950 XL.

When the Windows mobile scene turned ugly and was abandoned, I moved to Xperia Z5 Premium and then the XZ/XZ1 series, running all my Microsoft services and subscriptions on Android. I can say they create better apps in the Android platform than others (iOS included).

Currently using a Pixel 2 XL. The camera is great. The algorithms are insane. This phone can produce very nice photos and I don't regret getting it.

Other than that, you're always on the latest updates. Sony does updates fairly well but it depends on regions. On the Pixel, I never have to worry about that.

The Pixel launcher is great. I don't use any other launchers as I find it simple to use and serves my purpose. I don't need to customize how many rows of icons to display on screen or changing the gestures. Basic swipes is good enough for me.

Google Assistant is great. You have Google Lens for the occasional image search. I understand some people are concerned about privacy but I let Google use most of my info to get better results that are related to me.

Battery life is insane. I get around 5 to 6 hours on screen time on a single charge and end my day with around 20-30% left. WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS turned on, with an average of 2 hours of Spotify, 2 hours on Waze (screen on), messaging, SNS, calls, 3 emails on push, browsing and occasional YouTube.

The only thing I would want is better IP. The Xperia has IP65/IP68.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I've concurrently owned both Android devices and Windows Phones since it launched in 2010, going back to the original Samsung Focus :) I'll just add - don't hesitate to hit up Microsoft support for any issues or help. I've chatted with them a few times for stuff on Android like syncing my MS/Exchange acct, help with SkyDrive/OneDrive, Zune/Groove, etc.

If you've owned a Surface device, then you can appreciate not being burdened by all the crap OEMs and carriers put on a computer or phone. It's the same way with Pixel phones. While an OEM skin vs pure Android can be a personal decision and something I think each person has to experience and decide for themselves, the Play Store often includes apps that provide compelling features from LG, Samsung, etc. that you can add to any phone. Coming from an S8, swiping the Edge screen for quick app and contacts access had become second nature for me, so I installed an app for that on my 2 XL. Something to consider as you research. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of pure OS experiences, whether it's Windows or Android. Good luck with your decision.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I really enjoyed my Nokia icon and HTC M8 running windows. It's a shame windows phone didn't make it any further. I find Android the next best thing tho and enjoy using the Square Home launcher app to replicate a lot of windows UI. This launcher has to be one of the smoothest on the store. It could make for a nice transition for anyone coming from windows phone to android.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I would have to recommend avoiding LG and Samsung, as well as Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, etc. The headphone jack thing though - if it is important, I get it - but there's only one use case that doesn't work so hot without it on a Pixel, and that's listening to music through wired headphones and charging at the same time. There are adapters to do it - however it's pretty rare for someone to actually be trying to do both things at the exact same time on any sort of a regular basis.

Dirigent82

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses - they're helping a lot!

If you've owned a Surface device, then you can appreciate not being burdened by all the crap OEMs and carriers put on a computer or phone. It's the same way with Pixel phones.

Yep, I've got a Surface Pro 3 which I like a lot. If I get a Pixel 2 through Verizon, does Verizon put any of their bloatware on it, or does any Pixel phone remain free of that stuff?

I would have to recommend avoiding LG and Samsung, as well as Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, etc.

Any particular reason for avoiding them? The skinning/UI?

andrew.harris

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses - they're helping a lot!

Yep, I've got a Surface Pro 3 which I like a lot. If I get a Pixel 2 through Verizon, does Verizon put any of their bloatware on it, or does any Pixel phone remain free of that stuff?

Any particular reason for avoiding them? The skinning/UI?
I'll use Oppo as an example where they have their "ColorOS" which is a bastardised android. And the reason I use LineageOS.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
OP, I transitioned from a Lumia 950 to the original Pixel in January of 2017. I now have both versions of the Pixel 2 devices. I use everything stock Android. And I also use a lot of Microsoft services along with Google. It will take a bit of getting used to (for me the transition was painless as I had a Nexus 5 for a spare device whilst I used Lumia devices exclusively from Oct 2013 to Jan 2017) but in the end I think Android offers more flexibility which is closer to how WM10 works compared to iOS. If SD card is important, look to other Android devices. Is size important, if so Pixel 2 closely resembles a Lumia 950.

Good luck.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Also OP, no bloatware on a Pixel device. And you can uninstall Google Apps too (some of them) if you don't use them a lot.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why every keeps mentioning the lack of an SD card slot. Pixel2s come with unlimited Google Drive space so 64G should be enough local storage for anyone and if you really think you need more you can get the 128G version.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why every keeps mentioning the lack of an SD card slot. Pixel2s come with unlimited Google Drive space so 64G should be enough local storage for anyone and if you really think you need more you can get the 128G version.

Unlimited Google Photos -- yes. Not Google Drive.

Any photos uploaded from a Pixel 2 / 2 XL have unlimited storage at original quality until 2020 I believe it is. After 2020 new photos uploaded will start to take up storage.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! It's great to have you here!

With regards to jumping platforms, it may take some getting used to; but I'm sure you'll adjust in a few days! It's not too bad of a jump.

However, if you are looking for a stock Android experience - or as close to stock as possible; which would not only help in your transition but is also a beautiful way to experience Android - I hands-down recommend the Pixel 2 line. Also, if you are looking to save some cash and still want a close-to-stock experience, the OnePlus 5T is also a great choice.

Dirigent82

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Unlimited Google Photos -- yes. Not Google Drive.

Any photos uploaded from a Pixel 2 / 2 XL have unlimited storage at original quality until 2020 I believe it is. After 2020 new photos uploaded will start to take up storage.

This is good to know. Though I use Microsoft OneDrive and have 1TB of storage there, so I will probably continue using that.

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I did this exact move early in 2017. I initially went with a Samsung phone and installed MS services and Nine email. I tried the MS launcher and while good used Nova.
I have since switched to the Pixel 2 with the same setup except use the Pixel launcher.
I found that the Pixel is a much better device for MS users for a few reasons.
1. We get updates from Google just like we did from MS.
2. Samsung has alot of extra apps installed that are unneeded if using MS applications
3. The phone runs like butter which was another benefit I missed from my 950.

I do miss the accessory options that Samsung had and the better Bluetooth device handling but otherwise the Pixel I feel more at home with.