Pixel 2 xl owner charging questions

Vicv07

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed if my phone is unlocked and screen on while charging the charge rate is extremely slow. 10% in 30 minutes with just the screen on not doing anything. Screen off charges fine but not as fast as expected. From looking around the second part is common but not much mention out there of extremely slow charging while screen is on. Second part is if I plug into a 3rd party charger 80% percent of the time the phone shuts off as soon as I plug in. It continues charging while off and will also continue charging when I turn back on but as soon as I unplug and plug back in phone shuts off. Never seen this before. I contacted Google customer service and they're offering a replacement and I'm wondering if this is a common thing which will hopefully be fixed in a software update or I should exchange. Thanks

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
What third party charger is it your trying to use? Chances are it's shutting off as a safety feature due to the voltage, or its detected a fault I would have thought.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're using the PowerIQ port, that may be normal.

As for the slow charging, the screen is probably the most power-hungry part of the phone. The current that the phone can draw from the charger is limited by the phone, so when the screen is on, most of that current is going to power the screen, and very little is left to charge the battery. (The battery can't both charge and discharge at the same time.) That's common in all phones - charging with the screen on will be anywhere from slower to not charging at all (discharging, in fact, just slower than if the charger weren't plugged in).

Vicv07

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the responses. I discovered the cable was bad. It must be it's the only cable that will cause the phone to shut off. I've never seen that before though but anker is covering it. One more question. I have an IQ car charger that has a built in USBC cable which supports 5v 3A and a normal 5v 1A port. It actually charges slower on the USBC cable. About 700ma. I know this phone uses USBC pd but can it not pull full power on a proper USBC port and cable? The only thing I can think of is internally the charger isn't an at spec USBC cable so the phone thinks it's plugged into a normal usb port. From reading nathank's findings on Google+ it should charge at full speed on a standard USBC port and USBC to USBC cable

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have an IQ car charger that has a built in USBC cable which supports 5v 3A and a normal 5v 1A port. It actually charges slower on the USBC cable.
Sounds like that charger/cable is defective. I purchased a Visnic car charger with a USB C port (no cable included) and a USB A port and the USB C port definitely supports charging rapidly.

Vicv07

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
Ok thanks. Both my wife and I got one of the chargers. Mine will actually show negative current on the USBC cable but will actually charge at 1600ma on the 5v 1A USBA port. Hers will charge at about 700ma and the same on the USBA port so I can see why it was added free. Strange as I have two 5v 2.5A chargers and it'll only take 1000ma from those. That's good to know as USBC PD car chargers are very rare but standard USBC is easy to find. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech