01-18-2018 01:49 PM
163 12345 ...
tools
    Shouldn't be no. It's just some security fixes. It isn't a major OS update so it won't be big.
    Oh okay, thanks
    01-04-2018 02:36 AM
    Nope. It's about Oreo Beta. I enrolled but it's still showing"Up to date".
    That's just a signup sheet... There is no active beta test going on at the moment, so nothing will happen. When another beta release is released, you'll get a notification that it is available and ready to install.

What version do you currently have loaded?
    01-04-2018 10:49 AM
    Oh, the lag thing.... based on everything that I've pieced together, I think I know what is going on. There's a bunch of steps involved with installing an over-the-air update like this. If you let the phone do it, it'll download the file and when it installs, it fires off a bunch of scripts to load the update on the the the inactive system partition (remember, the Pixel 2 has two of them)... it then runs a bunch of stuff to pre-load it, then it will boot into that second partition without the need to go through the old "Upgrading Android" recovery screen.

The phone will then boot up and run a few cleanup tasks to finish things up (That's that notification you see).

Now, I don't think that this lag has anything to do with that notification... that's been there all along. I think whatever is causing this is a difference between how the phone installs the OTA on the secondary partition when fully booted vs while in Recovery. They might have tweaked something in all those preload scripts and whatever it is isn't getting called properly when you load the OTA from Recovery...

But when you reboot the phone that last time when its laggy... somewhere in there, that function gets called (maybe it's something to do with the runtimes, that's my guess) and everything starts running as expected.

As someone who's been in QA for way too long, my money is that whatever is causing this doesn't occur in every phone that sideloads the OTA...and I am positive they spent FAR more time testing the OTA install from the main system menu because that's where 99% of the users will kick it off. So.... the tests of the Recovery OTA probably passed the few times they ran it and they never saw any issues on boot so they marked it passed and moved on to the next test case.
    nelamvr6 likes this.
    01-04-2018 10:59 AM
    That's just a signup sheet... There is no active beta test going on at the moment, so nothing will happen. When another beta release is released, you'll get a notification that it is available and ready to install.

What version do you currently have loaded?
    01-04-2018 11:06 AM
    No OTA update yet for me. =/
    01-04-2018 11:06 AM
    Hmm.. how long have you been signed up for the beta? You should have been upgraded to 8.1 last month.
    01-04-2018 11:17 AM
    I am just going to wait for the OTA update to show up for both my Pixel 2 devices.
    01-04-2018 11:19 AM
    I got the ota update. It apparently installed itself. How does that happen?
    01-04-2018 11:20 AM
    Hmm.. how long have you been signed up for the beta? You should have been upgraded to 8.1 last month.
    Since yesterday.
    01-04-2018 11:20 AM
    Other than the 51mb security patch that was released, will there be an update in January to address software bugs?
    01-04-2018 11:24 AM
    I got the ota update. It apparently installed itself. How does that happen?
    It's the dual boot thing Google added last year. Automatic system updates is probably turned on (you can check in developer options), so it'll download and install the update on the inactive system partition when it becomes available and notify you.. if you accept it it'll just reboot into that second partition and you don't have to wait.

If you don't click on update, it'll just sit there on the second partition until you do.
    pseudoware likes this.
    01-04-2018 11:27 AM
    Got mine now, Sweet, much more timely than the last one. 48.0 MB
    01-04-2018 01:02 PM
    Finally got it. Downloading now.
    01-04-2018 01:25 PM
    Since yesterday.
    Unenroll from Beta. Beta users do not receive updates via the regular channel, and right now there are no Beta updates.
    01-04-2018 03:39 PM
    Mine is downloading now. AT&T in the Metro NYC area
    01-04-2018 03:41 PM
    Other than the 51mb security patch that was released, will there be an update in January to address software bugs?
    No next update will be in February, unless there is some crazy bug that pops up that affects everyone.
    EMGSM likes this.
    01-04-2018 03:58 PM
    This patch should have addressed some bugs, as it states when installed it also includes performance enhancements and such and such in addition to security fixes.
    EMGSM likes this.
    01-04-2018 04:26 PM
    Side-load worked fine with restart wish I would of waited for OTA seems timely this new year January
    01-04-2018 05:21 PM
    Side-load worked fine with restart wish I would of waited for OTA seems timely this new year January
    I used to feel the same way but sideloading is pretty quick and easy.
    01-04-2018 05:39 PM
    Unenroll from Beta. Beta users do not receive updates via the regular channel, and right now there are no Beta updates.
    They don't receive updates OTA? Google support chat told me otherwise.

And even if there is no Beta update being pushed today, there must be an actual version of Oreo Beta, right?

I thought it was like on my iPhone X. Even 6 months down the road, if I enroll in Beta, it'll still be pushed OTA to my device.
    01-05-2018 07:24 AM
    They don't receive updates OTA? Google support chat told me otherwise.

And even if there is no Beta update being pushed today, there must be an actual version of Oreo Beta, right?

I thought it was like on my iPhone X. Even 6 months down the road, if I enroll in Beta, it'll still be pushed OTA to my device.
    You don't receive regular updates if you are actually on a beta version. For example when everyone was on 8.0, Beta users were on 8.1 and they were not getting the regular monthly security updates but beta uses received incremental beta updates.
    There is no need to be on beta right now but you should still be receiving updates.
    01-05-2018 07:52 AM
    there must be an actual version of Oreo Beta, right?
    No. There is no beta at this time.

I thought it was like on my iPhone X. Even 6 months down the road, if I enroll in Beta, it'll still be pushed OTA to my device
    That is because they had a beta. How is Google going to push you something they don't have out? .
    01-05-2018 09:15 AM
    No. There is no beta at this time.

That is because they had a beta. How is Google going to push you something they don't have out? .
    I was sure there was a Beta version of Oreo. I never would've guessed it stopped at Nougat
    01-05-2018 09:21 AM
    I was sure there was a Beta version of Oreo. I never would've guessed it stopped at Nougat
    There was -- when Oreo was new. It isn't new anymore and the stable version is out.

There was then a beta for 8.1 -- now that beta is over since the official 8.1 is out. When they decide to move on to the next one another beta will come out.

Beta is for testing the new version. After the new version becomes official there is no longer a beta until they move on to the next set of software (such as 8.2). We are in the lull between the software.
    01-05-2018 09:39 AM
    The next Beta will be for Android P (Peanutbutter)
    01-05-2018 09:42 AM
163 12345 ...