January 2018 Security Patch Update

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok mine is working well but a buddy and I have a challenge... see if I can last 1 week on the iPhone X :p. I am now on that phone for the next week while my 2 XL sits and rests.

Wish me luck! lol.

Good luck! I don't have the X but I do have a 7. I bounce back and forth between it and my Pixel 2. Can't seem to stay on my iPhone 7 more than 3 or 4 days before I'm back on the Pixel 2. Then I box the iPhone for another month and do the whole sad cycle again... I need to just sell the iPhone so I can't switch anymore. I definitely prefer the Pixel 2.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Walked out of the room and came back to my phone that was downloading the January security patch. Very timely this month. Two thumbs up to Google. 👍👍

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Good luck! I don't have the X but I do have a 7. I bounce back and forth between it and my Pixel 2. Can't seem to stay on my iPhone 7 more than 3 or 4 days before I'm back on the Pixel 2. Then I box the iPhone for another month and do the whole sad cycle again... I need to just sell the iPhone so I can't switch anymore. I definitely prefer the Pixel 2.

Haha, also used to do this with the back and forth between my P2 and iPhone7. I liked that iPhone alot before I got the pixel. I need to sell my 7 also.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Enrolled in Beta - No update

Nope. It's about Oreo Beta. I enrolled but it's still showing"Up to date".

That's just a signup sheet... There is no active beta test going on at the moment, so nothing will happen. When another beta release is released, you'll get a notification that it is available and ready to install.

What version do you currently have loaded?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, the lag thing.... based on everything that I've pieced together, I think I know what is going on. There's a bunch of steps involved with installing an over-the-air update like this. If you let the phone do it, it'll download the file and when it installs, it fires off a bunch of scripts to load the update on the the the inactive system partition (remember, the Pixel 2 has two of them)... it then runs a bunch of stuff to pre-load it, then it will boot into that second partition without the need to go through the old "Upgrading Android" recovery screen.

The phone will then boot up and run a few cleanup tasks to finish things up (That's that notification you see).

Now, I don't think that this lag has anything to do with that notification... that's been there all along. I think whatever is causing this is a difference between how the phone installs the OTA on the secondary partition when fully booted vs while in Recovery. They might have tweaked something in all those preload scripts and whatever it is isn't getting called properly when you load the OTA from Recovery...

But when you reboot the phone that last time when its laggy... somewhere in there, that function gets called (maybe it's something to do with the runtimes, that's my guess) and everything starts running as expected.

As someone who's been in QA for way too long, my money is that whatever is causing this doesn't occur in every phone that sideloads the OTA...and I am positive they spent FAR more time testing the OTA install from the main system menu because that's where 99% of the users will kick it off. So.... the tests of the Recovery OTA probably passed the few times they ran it and they never saw any issues on boot so they marked it passed and moved on to the next test case.

SparklyPickle

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Re: Enrolled in Beta - No update

That's just a signup sheet... There is no active beta test going on at the moment, so nothing will happen. When another beta release is released, you'll get a notification that it is available and ready to install.

What version do you currently have loaded?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Other than the 51mb security patch that was released, will there be an update in January to address software bugs?