January 2018 Security Patch Update

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got the update on my 2 XL yesterday. My 2016 Pixel ( sailfish ) hasnt gotten it yet . Probably will sometime this week .

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL on Project Fi: Powered it up this morning and almost immediately noted the "O" icon in the notification bar; pulled it down and read that a system update was installing. I was surprised as I had received no notification regarding downloading the update. When it finished installing, I checked to verify, and it was indeed the January 5th update.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL on Project Fi: Powered it up this morning and almost immediately noted the "O" icon in the notification bar; pulled it down and read that a system update was installing. I was surprised as I had received no notification regarding downloading the update. When it finished installing, I checked to verify, and it was indeed the January 5th update.

You probably have auto updates turned on in developer settings.

Daniel BLUJKTS

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site
Need help. Pixel XL 2 on cricket. installed latest update and MMS went out. Pretty normal like last 2 updates, just had to update APN. Did so this time. Still no MMS. Deleted APNs, added new APNs, soft reset, hard reset, factory reset wipe. Still same issue. Anyone else having MMS issues after install? Installed new SIM. Still no MMS send or receive.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Need help. Pixel XL 2 on cricket. installed latest update and MMS went out. Pretty normal like last 2 updates, just had to update APN. Did so this time. Still no MMS. Deleted APNs, added new APNs, soft reset, hard reset, factory reset wipe. Still same issue. Anyone else having MMS issues after install? Installed new SIM. Still no MMS send or receive.
Cricket customer here, just reset your API settings and reenter crickets info, possible you left something out

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Unenrolled in Android Beta on both XL and 2XL and Got the January update immediately. I thought I was already unenrolled after the final Android O update.

Eric The Duke

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed after getting this latest update is that when you turn off wifi there is a notification at the bottom of the screen saying mobile data enabled. I don't recall seeing that before this update. Seems to also give that same message when you turn wifi on. Must be a bug.

Lee Woods1

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Unenrolled in Android Beta on both XL and 2XL and Got the January update immediately. I thought I was already unenrolled after the final Android O update.

This was the fix for me as well. I had not even bothered checking because I unenrolled when the official 8.1 was released.

DigbyTheDog

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
One thing I noticed after getting this latest update is that when you turn off wifi there is a notification at the bottom of the screen saying mobile data enabled. I don't recall seeing that before this update. Seems to also give that same message when you turn wifi on. Must be a bug.

My brother has a Nexus (5 I think). When he was here at Christmas he accidentally turned data on using the quick menu. He was surprised he didn't get a message saying it was being turned on because he had "always seen one before". Turns out when he turned data on in the settings menu, he got the message, but not when he used the quick settings.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone notice that battery life is back to being really good after the January update? Doesn't stay at 100% for a long time like on 8.1, but drains slower after that.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone notice that battery life is back to being really good after the January update? Doesn't stay at 100% for a long time like on 8.1, but drains slower after that.

I've never seen a difference in battery life with any of the updates.
I still easily get a day's battery life with plenty to spare.
That's all that matters to me.