01-07-2018 12:02 PM
26 12
tools
    I had an original Pixel and loved it. I really wanted another Pixel but the design of the Pixel 2 just didn't do it for me. There is no way the Pixel 3 will have those huge bezels. 9 months to go.
    01-03-2018 02:12 PM
    Or get both. That's what I'm doing

Pixel 2 XL now, Pixel 3 XL end of this year, keep the Pixel 2 XL as a backup phone and for the occasional overseas trip
    Emperor and wwickedd like this.
    01-04-2018 07:11 AM
    You answered your own question. Wait for the 3.
    01-04-2018 08:12 AM
    Well, the OG Pixel and Pixel 2 have those bezels, even after Google knew Samsung and Apple would get small ones. I don't see the design language changing drastically for the Pixel 3.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-04-2018 08:58 AM
    I think one possibility is that Google will do away with two models and simply make a Pixel that has the XL size screen but on a device that's pretty much the size of the regular pixel 2. That way they can use one screen supplier, likely LG as they're invested into the development and have a device that should satisfy the masses, and maybe continue to sell the current 2 for a reduced price to get more people into the brand.

But who knows, that's just one option I hope happens, if they can release a large screen and smaller device than the current XL I'll be ordering one for sure.
    01-04-2018 10:35 AM
    I think one possibility is that Google will do away with two models and simply make a Pixel that has the XL size screen but on a device that's pretty much the size of the regular pixel 2. That way they can use one screen supplier, likely LG as they're invested into the development and have a device that should satisfy the masses, and maybe continue to sell the current 2 for a reduced price to get more people into the brand.

But who knows, that's just one option I hope happens, if they can release a large screen and smaller device than the current XL I'll be ordering one for sure.
    There's not a lot of room to work with unless you eliminate the front firing speakers
    Ry likes this.
    01-04-2018 11:02 AM
    I buy one every year.
    01-04-2018 11:15 AM
    The bezzels defentily don't bother me, If so, I actually love how this device (black!) is looking this year with the bezzels along with the speakers.

Wouldn't wait one more day to get it :-)
    01-04-2018 12:52 PM
    I am hoping they have a sweet trade in deal and I will trade the XL2 for an XL3
    wwickedd likes this.
    01-04-2018 01:31 PM
    If they keep having a trade deal then it's not bad to get a new one every year.
    01-04-2018 08:31 PM
    Or get both. That's what I'm doing

Pixel 2 XL now, Pixel 3 XL end of this year, keep the Pixel 2 XL as a backup phone and for the occasional overseas trip
    If only I had an extra $1000 of disposable income to buy one every year!
    EMGSM and SR45 like this.
    01-04-2018 09:14 PM
    If only I had an extra $1000 of disposable income to buy one every year!
    Chump change.... Lol
    01-04-2018 09:25 PM
    I would rather wait to see what the hardware is for the P3 before lining up to get it.
    SR45 likes this.
    01-05-2018 10:04 AM
    I am hoping Google makes the Pixel 2 more like the S8 - large screen in a small body or fit the speakers in a thinner bezel aka Pixel 2XL for the little Pixel. I had the OG Pixel and Pixel XL and currently have the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. For my use case scenario the most important thing is the camera and the Pixel line of phones absolutely crushes the competition out there.
    libra89 and GrumpyMomofMacR like this.
    01-05-2018 10:59 AM
    I would rather wait to see what the hardware is for the P3 before lining up to get it.
    Of course....makes sense to me anyway
    01-05-2018 11:04 AM
    Pixel 3 won't be here until about 9 months later.

So we're really just speculating at this point.
    anon(10092459) likes this.
    01-05-2018 11:05 AM
    I literally could not care less about the bezels.
    GrumpyMomofMacR likes this.
    01-06-2018 01:12 PM
    I don't see how the P3 could be all that much better than the current P2's. More screen fitted into a same size space with lesser bezels is what I'm thinking. As fast as the P2 is currently I'd probably pass on an updated processor as that and the smaller bezel more screen possiibility might not do it for me. I'm seeing more and more only smaller perks in the upgrades coming down the pike. Prices going up all the time, I may really make a decent attempt to keep a phone for 2 years anyway. That's my plan anyway. Or in lieu of that wait 18 months and get the latest when it's 6 months old, bugs are ironed out and prices have dropped.
    01-06-2018 01:23 PM
    I don't see how the P3 could be all that much better than the current P2's. More screen fitted into a same size space with lesser bezels is what I'm thinking. As fast as the P2 is currently I'd probably pass on an updated processor as that and the smaller bezel more screen possiibility might not do it for me. I'm seeing more and more only smaller perks in the upgrades coming down the pike. Prices going up all the time, I may really make a decent attempt to keep a phone for 2 years anyway. That's my plan anyway. Or in lieu of that wait 18 months and get the latest when it's 6 months old, bugs are ironed out and prices have dropped.
    I said practically the same thing when I bought the OG Pixel. That device was nirvana for me, and I just couldn't see the P2 being better or making me more satisfied, maybe fractionally at best. I was committed to skipping one generation and making my next purchase the Pixel 3.

And yet...
    cbreze likes this.
    01-06-2018 02:47 PM
    I said practically the same thing when I bought the OG Pixel. That device was nirvana for me, and I just couldn't see the P2 being better or making me more satisfied, maybe fractionally at best. I was committed to skipping one generation and making my next purchase the Pixel 3.

And yet...
    Ha, you're right of course and it will take some serious resistance on my part. But I do need to weigh the improvements over cost. Another thing is I bought a case I'm still waiting on as it was a custom make. I paid an insane amount for it as cases go and this played into my keeping the P2 longer. we'll see. If the case were to also fit the P3 then all bets are off.
    01-06-2018 06:37 PM
    If Google does choose one screen manufacturer to work with, I hope it will be Samsung. IMO, the LG screen isn't as good as the Samsung counterpart.
    01-07-2018 12:27 AM
    If Google does choose one screen manufacturer to work with, I hope it will be Samsung. IMO, the LG screen isn't as good as the Samsung counterpart.
    This:

Apple is reportedly investing $2.7 billion in LG Display to build OLED panels for future iPhones - Business Insider

and this:

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-rep...-pixel-phones/

Says to me get ready to see LG panels all over the place real soon.
    01-07-2018 02:32 AM
    It could be improved significantly by then.

I hope. Especially since they're making panels for the iPhone, of which any fault or defect will gain intense scrutiny.
    01-07-2018 02:41 AM
    Thanks for the info!

Interesting to see both Apple and Google investing heavily into LG. I wonder if they both want to fight Samsung's dominance on the OLED world?
    01-07-2018 09:55 AM
    Since you are waiting for the Pixel 3 you could wait for the Pixel 4 or the Pixel 5......

Bezels? Meh...... The bezels on the Pixel and the Pixel 2 are not bad at all despite some of the 'OMG dem bezels tho' type posts. Bezels actually serve a purpose and come in handy when the phone is used in landscape mode.

My .02
    01-07-2018 10:42 AM
26 12