Blue tint on screen

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Based on the amount of blue I am not interested in trying. I cant believe they think this is acceptable and actually left the factory.

I was in a store this week and there was a Google Pixel 2 XL on display. We could hear the "buzzing" sound from 3 feet away... and it's not a buzzing, it sounds like a circular saw going through a piece of wood. I can't believe how much Google botched their QA... very sad.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Having seen the variation with blue shift I'd suggest trying to get it replaced. I had 2 pandas that had very noticeable shift that I was not happy to live with, my 3rd try (a black one) still has it but is much better and not intrusive day to day. I was prompted to keep trying as the display units all looked better so I knew there must be good ones out there!

These are OLEDs after all

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I typically stare at the screen straight on so I don't notice it. I remember its there when I'm reminded of it. I do wish it wasn't there though.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I typically stare at the screen straight on so I don't notice it. I remember its there when I'm reminded of it. I do wish it wasn't there though.

Same here. But it wasn't enough to want to return my phone, and after reading about OLED tint shift and also about how Google used a circular polarizer on the phone, it was more about OTHER people ******** about it that got into my head, not the fact that I thought it was defective. I literally took the phone for a test run for 2 weeks and didn't notice the blue shift at all as my daily driver so how could it bug me?

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The blue tint is pretty severe compared to other phones. It doesn't bother me but I def notice it when I tilt the phone just a little. Its also really noticeable when I have my phone on the desk at a meeting or something. I can see why it does bother some people because when you spend top dollar on a phone you don't expect to have issues like this.

For me I only have 9 more months with this phone until the Pixel 3 comes out and the issues with the display should be fixed by then

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Same here. But it wasn't enough to want to return my phone, and after reading about OLED tint shift and also about how Google used a circular polarizer on the phone, it was more about OTHER people ******** about it that got into my head, not the fact that I thought it was defective. I literally took the phone for a test run for 2 weeks and didn't notice the blue shift at all as my daily driver so how could it bug me?

I'm at my 2 1/2 week mark and so far all is well. The speed and camera are more than enough to keep my mind off the color shift.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's real

But also not as bad on some of the newer batches, but we're not out of the woods yet as some still have issues.

Attachments

• 20171229_171241.jpg
    20171229_171241.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 57

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried to position my Pixel 2 XL at the same angle as your image.
I purchased mine the same day it was released for ordering.

DSC00890.jpg

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd post this since it's been an interesting find.

My Note8 has a subtle red shift off axis. It's not as noticeable as the blue shift on some of the bad Pixel 2 XL batches but it's definitely there.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
When I put mine beside a white sheet of paper, it has a definite blue cast. And the further I tilt it, the blue cast becomes deeper. As I've said before, until I started reading forums I didn't know I was supposed to be upset because of a blue cast I never noticed before. :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When I put mine beside a white sheet of paper, it has a definite blue cast. And the further I tilt it, the blue cast becomes deeper. As I've said before, until I started reading forums I didn't know I was supposed to be upset because of a blue cast I never noticed before. :)
That's characteristic of OLED.

I noticed the red cast shortly after using that specific 2 XL, but I stopped noticing after a while.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm noticing that the blue tint seems to have a lot to do with the kind of external lighting. If I'm looking in outdoor light or light from a window it appears a very light blue. With indoor artificial lighting the blue seems to be much deeper. Anyone else notice this?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm noticing that the blue tint seems to have a lot to do with the kind of external lighting. If I'm looking in outdoor light or light from a window it appears a very light blue. With indoor artificial lighting the blue seems to be much deeper. Anyone else notice this?

I believe it...in fact it's true that different lighting affects most of the colors around us.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

Could have something to do with the circular polarizer google used vs the different polarizers on other phones. Google stated, if I remember right, the blue tint was polarizer related.