Can I customize text message display on the Pixel 2?

Jason Byers1

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
Im having trouble customizing the display settings of the text message app. (I'd rather not install a 3rd party app.) But I'd like to change the background, or font color, or text-bubble color.

Is this possible?
Thanks!

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
re:

If you want all that just get textra, and disable the sick message app there's no harm in doing that on these phones where as some android devices with skins can cause issues, but I wouldn't worry about using a third party messages app personally

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site
re:

Im having trouble customizing the display settings of the text message app. (I'd rather not install a 3rd party app.) But I'd like to change the background, or font color, or text-bubble color.

Is this possible?
Thanks!

Sorry for going this route, since you didn't want a 3rd party app, but I highly recommend Textra. It's been one of the top, if not the number one, 3rd party SMS app on Android for a long time and for good reason.

It can do all that your looking for, has quite a few other features, and is very clean. Once you enable it, Android automatically sets it as your default SMS app at the system level. Always one of my first installs on a new phone. One of my favorite features is the "Send Delay." I use a 2 second delay that allows me to catch typos (or bad-decision texts, haha.)

Sorry to waste your time if you can't go 3rd party or already knew about Textra. Sounds like your customization is limited for the stock app.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
re:

Sorry for going this route, since you didn't want a 3rd party app, but I highly recommend Textra. It's been one of the top, if not the number one, 3rd party SMS app on Android for a long time and for good reason.

It can do all that your looking for, has quite a few other features, and is very clean. Once you enable it, Android automatically sets it as your default SMS app at the system level. Always one of my first installs on a new phone. One of my favorite features is the "Send Delay." I use a 2 second delay that allows me to catch typos (or bad-decision texts, haha.)

Sorry to waste your time if you can't go 3rd party or already knew about Textra. Sounds like your customization is limited for the stock app.
Yup. This. Textra is the way to go IMO.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
re:

I used textra and also currently using Message +. I find I like both and can't quite decide which one to settle down with. Both are customizable well beyond the stock sms app. Anyone have an opinion about Message+?

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

I used textra and also currently using Message +. I find I like both and can't quite decide which one to settle down with. Both are customizable well beyond the stock sms app. Anyone have an opinion about Message+?

I really like Message+ and have used it on the last few phones I've had but I am still currently using the stock app right now on my Pixel 2.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

I love Message+. About 18 months ago I tried all the popular texting apps. There was something about Textra that didn't meet me wants and needs, something it couldn't do, and I ended up trying Verizon's Message+.

I know, I know, deliberately installing a Verizon app. How gauche. But it did everything I wanted. It was ridiculously customizable. I could receive/send texts on my tablet and on my computer. I could even make phone calls from my tablet. So it's been Message+ for me.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
re:

Another vote for Textra, or Pulse. Both are very customizable, perhaps Textra a little bit more so and its interface is more refined, Pulse being new and all. However Pulse incorporates texting from a browser. Before I used to use Textra + Mighty Text.

Mighty Text is more feature-rich than Pulse's online texting but that could be a good or bad thing. If you just want text messaging from a computer, Pulse is to the point.

Anyway for customization Textra and Pulse are really good, Textra being more polished, but Pulse just gives you the bonus of web based texting as well in one package.

No idea what the OP's aversion is to third party apps, especially well-established ones with a great reputation, they can make or break a platform actually.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
re:

The thing I like most about Verizon Message+ is that it integrates Glympse within it - I use that often enough that having a separate application is a hassle.

Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to customize the sound of incoming texts. You can do it on a per-user basis; I just want a different tone from Gmail, WhatsApp, etc.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
re:

The thing I like most about Verizon Message+ is that it integrates Glympse within it - I use that often enough that having a separate application is a hassle.

Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to customize the sound of incoming texts. You can do it on a per-user basis; I just want a different tone from Gmail, WhatsApp, etc.

What? You can have a default tone for Message+.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
re:

Another vote for Textra, or Pulse. Both are very customizable, perhaps Textra a little bit more so and its interface is more refined, Pulse being new and all. However Pulse incorporates texting from a browser. Before I used to use Textra + Mighty Text.

Mighty Text is more feature-rich than Pulse's online texting but that could be a good or bad thing. If you just want text messaging from a computer, Pulse is to the point.

Anyway for customization Textra and Pulse are really good, Textra being more polished, but Pulse just gives you the bonus of web based texting as well in one package.

No idea what the OP's aversion is to third party apps, especially well-established ones with a great reputation, they can make or break a platform actually.

Yeah I was a Textra + Mightytext user as well. Textra is hard to beat for customization but I wanted multi-device send/receive capability and Mightytext just didn't cut it in terms of responsiveness, stability and reliability. Tried Yappy for a bit and that wasn't any better. Currently on Pulse and it is very stable and reliable.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
re:

Yeah I was a Textra + Mightytext user as well. Textra is hard to beat for customization but I wanted multi-device send/receive capability and Mightytext just didn't cut it in terms of responsiveness, stability and reliability. Tried Yappy for a bit and that wasn't any better. Currently on Pulse and it is very stable and reliable.

Agreed. I've been using Pulse since I got a Pixel 2 XL on December 8th last year and have been happier with a one stop solution vs Textra+Mighty Text by enough that it's the future for me as well.

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
re:

Another vote for Message+ here. I've tried a few others in the past, and always coming back to Message+.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
re:

The stock app is easy on the battery and ad-free. How do the suggested apps in this thread fare in those areas?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
re:

What? You can have a default tone for Message+.
Feel free to document the path where this can be set. I've looked through the Settings options and don't see anything that allows you to pick a specific ring tone as the default for the application.