Anybody think Pixel 2 XL black look boring?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Apparently they are worth $40 because that's what people are willing to pay. I personally don't spend that much.

I've used dozens of different cases over the years and after deciding to try a case by Google, I now understand why they cost so much more. There really is a difference and as with most everything, you get what you pay for.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've used dozens of different cases over the years and after deciding to try a case by Google, I now understand why they cost so much more. There really is a difference and as with most everything, you get what you pay for.

That's true to a degree. The bottom line is that you're happy with what you bought and that's all that really matters.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The same argument could be made about skins like dBrand and Slickwraps. People pay $15 - $20 buck for a piece of 3M tape for their phone. You could buy 2-3 rolls of 3M tape for the same price. However, if it make people happy then there is no issue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The same argument could be made about skins like dBrand and Slickwraps. People pay $15 - $20 buck for a piece of 3M tape for their phone. You could buy 2-3 rolls of 3M tape for the same price. However, if it make people happy then there is no issue.

To be fair rolls of 3M tape are not precut to fit the phone. We can't judge the price simply on material costs alone. The same logic applies with phone cases.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like the black Pixel 2 line. Panda is beautiful but when so many users slap a case on theirs - my friend included - it's hard to appreciate its beauty. Unless you get a clear case, of course.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
No case is worth $40...You may be OK paying that much but its not worth $40. IMHO my $8.99 Teal TPU case looks way nicer than that, and it is not worth $8.99, They are just pieces of plastic.

I agree. There's a big difference between actual and perceived value and how folks differentiate (or fail to) between the two. I tend to look at actual values...which is why I have a lot of non-name brand clothes.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

I spent $20 on a DBrand skin. I wanted to go naked but protect my phone from scuffs or scratches. But the Pixel 2XL is so thin and light it did not feel solid in my hand. I had a clear front and back skin on my Note 5 and being an older phone it felt nice and solid with no case.

So I ended up putting my $6 clear thin case back on over my $20 Dbrand skin. About the same as taking a $20 and flushing it down the toilet.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I spent $20 on a DBrand skin. I wanted to go naked but protect my phone from scuffs or scratches. But the Pixel 2XL is so thin and light it did not feel solid in my hand. I had a clear front and back skin on my Note 5 and being an older phone it felt nice and solid with no case.

So I ended up putting my $6 clear thin case back on over my $20 Dbrand skin. About the same as taking a $20 and flushing it down the toilet.

I've had a couple of drops that I would not trust to skins.
The Spigen thin case has served me well.

Last edited:

cgonzalez82

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Black one with the midnight case, looks great IMO. I've always had black phones, they don't go out of fashion so keep resale value and are always in stock compared to the others usually due to actual numbers manufactured in comparison.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Black one with the midnight case, looks great IMO. I've always had black phones, they don't go out of fashion so keep resale value and are always in stock compared to the others usually due to actual numbers manufactured in comparison.

You're right: black is usually in stock, it seems!

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think about sell mine and get the panda instead but I afraid about bad unit because my black one is perfect with very tiny blue tint and everything work great.

Anybody happy with the black one or you think the black look boring.?

Agreed. I wanted the Panda but it wasn't available so i settled. Don't think i'll get the panda one at this point.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I do think the black looks rather 'boring' but then again, I think the Pixel 2/2XL on a whole aren't very attractive devices at all. Compared to all the other flagships (Galaxy S8/8+/Note 8, G6/V30, U11/U11+, iPhone X) I think the Pixel 2/2XL has easily the most boring and ugly design of the lot. Functional sure, but not necessarily attractive for the price it is.

The panda to me looks slightly better, but not much. Hopefully those 2,000 HTC employees can put some hardware design flare into the Pixel 3/3XL next year. I thought the U11 and U11+ looks stunning and I really hope Google get some actual good hardware designers to lead the next phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do think the black looks rather 'boring' but then again, I think the Pixel 2/2XL on a whole aren't very attractive devices at all. Compared to all the other flagships (Galaxy S8/8+/Note 8, G6/V30, U11/U11+, iPhone X) I think the Pixel 2/2XL has easily the most boring and ugly design of the lot. Functional sure, but not necessarily attractive for the price it is.

The panda to me looks slightly better, but not much. Hopefully those 2,000 HTC employees can put some hardware design flare into the Pixel 3/3XL next year. I thought the U11 and U11+ looks stunning and I really hope Google get some actual good hardware designers to lead the next phone.

To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the Pixel (OG) designs when they launched; but I really like the look of the 2 line. But yes, the G6, V30, and OnePlus 5T do look more attractive.

taraji

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the panda. I bought a live case, but found it toooo slippery (overpriced), but it has my personal pic.

Bought a silver Peel case to "exhibit" my panda😉 Wish it was totally clear though 'cause the black looks grey.

I had the Spigen liquid case for my S8+ didn't like the marks it left (had to buff hard to get out).

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I much prefer the black, had the stormtrooper and took it back. From the front the white edge is visible and kind of frames the bezel and exaggerated it, also imo makes it look bigger.

On the flip side yes i prefer the white ones look on the back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech