I'm having this problem too and it's driving me batty. I don't have a screen protector on my 2XL, just a case. I just left my mom and voicemail and had to just blabber away about nothing while I took the phone out of my case and played with the power and volume buttons enough to get the screen to turn on so I could end the call. It is SO frustrating.
    03-22-2018 04:05 PM
    I don't have a screen protector on my 2XL, just a case.
    What kind of case is it?
    If you take the case off does this feature work correctly?
    03-22-2018 05:16 PM
    I'm having this problem too and it's driving me batty. I don't have a screen protector on my 2XL, just a case. I just left my mom and voicemail and had to just blabber away about nothing while I took the phone out of my case and played with the power and volume buttons enough to get the screen to turn on so I could end the call. It is SO frustrating.
    The proximity sensor can be tested by using an app named AndroSensor that is available on the Play Store. The proximity reading should normally read 2.0 when nothing is blocking the sensor, and change to 0 when you move your hand over the top of the screen; then it should go back to 2.0 when your hand is removed again.

If it turns out that the proximity sensor is not functioning as it should, then the phone would need to be replaced.
    GSDer likes this.
    03-22-2018 06:20 PM
    It’s quite possible. I found out a possible fix, was the removal of prior updates to the dialer app seemed to resolve said issue.
    How can i remove the prior updates just for the dialer?
    03-29-2018 01:17 PM
    How can i remove the prior updates just for the dialer?
    Settings > Apps & Notifications > Show all apps > Phone Tap uninstall and it should remove updates and revert to the version that is considered the lowest version supported on the OS version you're running.

I should note that some of the issues we were seeing previously have been resolved with recent updates.
    03-29-2018 04:39 PM
    Sometimes during a call, my screen will go completely black and I can't do anything with it. The call is still connected but I have to ask the other party to end the call. Once the call has ended the screen becomes usable again.

Has anyone else experienced this on their pixel 2 or 2 xl?

To be honest this is the only issue I have had with my phone. Mild blue tint, no black smear or crackling sound. Pretty much a perfect experience and this blank screen issue is random. Happened maybe half a dozen times since I got the phone in mid-November.
    I discovered the answer to the screen blanking during a call today.

This question indeed is somewhere in an Android forum, for it suggested to me the use of the Screen On Call app. I found the app icon and performed a little setup in its Settings menu, available through the round green icon on my desktop.

I turned everything on:
    Screen On Call En (cut off on my small screen): The app is enabled when initiated. (ON)
    Initial state on start: Initial state when the app starts. (ON)
    Show floating button: I turned this (ON).
    Show popup ttext: Advises when the status changes. (ON)

May not need the second two, but after this change, I had an hour-long phone call and never did the screen go blank. It goes blank fast enough with the Display screen Sleep setting I had to wake it up every time I needed to refer to the text in the app's Settings screen with no call in progress, to write this post. So my Display Sleep setting is overridden during a call!

I used to use the power button to end a call, but these settings have done away with that function. The screen is live, so I had to slide right to unlock the hangup button to end the call.

I am using a Coolpad 3300A.

I use one more app, "Confirm Call" also from Google Play Store to prevent accidental calls (butt dialing). So when I initiate an outgoing call, I get the confirm screen, hit yes and the call is placed. And I see the Screen On Call app's floating button for the call's duration on a live screen. That floating button can be placed out-of-the-way of any data being displayed under it.
    04-09-2018 04:16 PM
    Mine does this too. it's quite infuriating. I haven't even had it a year yet and still owe money on it. I don't know what is going on. if anyone finds out please let me know!! I'm about to Chuck it out a window.
    06-13-2018 10:09 PM
    Mine does this too. it's quite infuriating. I haven't even had it a year yet and still owe money on it. I don't know what is going on. if anyone finds out please let me know!! I'm about to Chuck it out a window.
    Contact Google support through the settings, help and support menu.
    06-13-2018 11:26 PM
    This ^^^^^
    It stopped happening when I moved to P except it happened again DP3. No screen protector on my phone
    06-14-2018 01:04 AM
    This ^^^^^
    It stopped happening when I moved to P except it happened again DP3. No screen protector on my phone
    Sounds like Operator Error to me...LOLOL

:P
    06-14-2018 03:45 PM
    If something isn't blocking the proximity sensor, (something as simple as a dirty screen could do it) then it's almost certain to be a hardware issue. The time to find that out is while it's still under warranty!

Use AndroSensor, or a similar app, to test the proximity sensor. Make sure the screen is squeaky clean first so you don't get a false reading.
    06-14-2018 05:00 PM
    Thanks sensor works ok
    06-16-2018 11:48 AM
    Thanks sensor works ok
    If I understand you correctly, you're saying you're still having the same problem but the proximity sensor is functioning normally?
    06-16-2018 01:15 PM
    If I understand you correctly, you're saying you're still having the same problem but the proximity sensor is functioning normally?
    I luckily haven't had it again and the sensor is working correctly.
    06-16-2018 01:32 PM
    I luckily haven't had it again and the sensor is working correctly.
    That's good to hear.
    06-16-2018 01:40 PM
    I have yet to experience this - I can tap the screen to get to the call screen.
    06-16-2018 03:42 PM
    I have yet to experience this - I can tap the screen to get to the call screen.
    That's good, Morty. It's something you don't want to experience. Very annoying, a real PITA.
    06-16-2018 03:56 PM
    That's good, Morty. It's something you don't want to experience. Very annoying, a real PITA.
    I'm sure! Especially when you're in the middle of a call (which is important in and of itself) and need to put them on hold, speaker, etc.
    Kirstein Gourlay likes this.
    06-16-2018 04:06 PM
    I'm sure! Especially when you're in the middle of a call (which is important in and of itself) and need to put them on hold, speaker, etc.
    That was my issue. The phone completely locked out. Annoying to say the least
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-16-2018 04:32 PM
    Or to take a picture of a cat
    06-16-2018 05:45 PM
    LOOOOL that, too.
    06-16-2018 06:02 PM
    Cat pictures are very important!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-16-2018 06:36 PM
    That was my issue. The phone completely locked out. Annoying to say the least
    I'm sure! Does the issue still persist; or is it happening every once in a while?
    06-16-2018 06:45 PM
    I'm sure! Does the issue still persist; or is it happening every once in a while?
    It seems to be quite random. Not had it since I complained tbh.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-16-2018 10:29 PM
    Cat pictures is the main reason I have a Pixel 2 XL!!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    06-16-2018 10:29 PM
57 123