Screen goes blank during calls

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I just started having this issue also only when driving which is only when I am connected to BT for hands free. Dialer just updated. I will test tomorrow BT connected and not connected.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just started having this issue also only when driving which is only when I am connected to BT for hands free. Dialer just updated. I will test tomorrow BT connected and not connected.
Mine was sitting in the cupholder, not connected to BT. Heard he callers custom ringtone, looked down and black screen. WTF I say.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My issue is only on my wifes P2XL. Zaag glass screen protector

Yes the screen protector has a half moon dip right in the middle at the top, just below the speaker

Rick

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

New ZAAG glass came in today, took off the old one and tested the phone. Never went black when starting calls, does go black when held to my ear but turns back on after removing it. Works like it should

I then covered the prox sensor with my thumb and made a call, instantly went black.

When I installed the new screen protector, I made sure it was positioned as far south as possible and all seems to be well

WAF is way up

Rick

hbach83

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this problem too and it's driving me batty. I don't have a screen protector on my 2XL, just a case. I just left my mom and voicemail and had to just blabber away about nothing while I took the phone out of my case and played with the power and volume buttons enough to get the screen to turn on so I could end the call. It is SO frustrating.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this problem too and it's driving me batty. I don't have a screen protector on my 2XL, just a case. I just left my mom and voicemail and had to just blabber away about nothing while I took the phone out of my case and played with the power and volume buttons enough to get the screen to turn on so I could end the call. It is SO frustrating.

The proximity sensor can be tested by using an app named AndroSensor that is available on the Play Store. The proximity reading should normally read 2.0 when nothing is blocking the sensor, and change to 0 when you move your hand over the top of the screen; then it should go back to 2.0 when your hand is removed again.

If it turns out that the proximity sensor is not functioning as it should, then the phone would need to be replaced.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
How can i remove the prior updates just for the dialer?

Settings > Apps & Notifications > Show all apps > Phone Tap uninstall and it should remove updates and revert to the version that is considered the lowest version supported on the OS version you're running.

I should note that some of the issues we were seeing previously have been resolved with recent updates.

vgj

Oct 9, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes during a call, my screen will go completely black and I can't do anything with it. The call is still connected but I have to ask the other party to end the call. Once the call has ended the screen becomes usable again.

Has anyone else experienced this on their pixel 2 or 2 xl?

To be honest this is the only issue I have had with my phone. Mild blue tint, no black smear or crackling sound. Pretty much a perfect experience and this blank screen issue is random. Happened maybe half a dozen times since I got the phone in mid-November.

I discovered the answer to the screen blanking during a call today.

This question indeed is somewhere in an Android forum, for it suggested to me the use of the Screen On Call app. I found the app icon and performed a little setup in its Settings menu, available through the round green icon on my desktop.

I turned everything on:
Screen On Call En (cut off on my small screen): The app is enabled when initiated. (ON)
Initial state on start: Initial state when the app starts. (ON)
Show floating button: I turned this (ON).
Show popup ttext: Advises when the status changes. (ON)

May not need the second two, but after this change, I had an hour-long phone call and never did the screen go blank. It goes blank fast enough with the Display screen Sleep setting I had to wake it up every time I needed to refer to the text in the app's Settings screen with no call in progress, to write this post. So my Display Sleep setting is overridden during a call!

I used to use the power button to end a call, but these settings have done away with that function. The screen is live, so I had to slide right to unlock the hangup button to end the call.

I am using a Coolpad 3300A.

I use one more app, "Confirm Call" also from Google Play Store to prevent accidental calls (butt dialing). So when I initiate an outgoing call, I get the confirm screen, hit yes and the call is placed. And I see the Screen On Call app's floating button for the call's duration on a live screen. That floating button can be placed out-of-the-way of any data being displayed under it.

lkrause_74

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Mine does this too. it's quite infuriating. I haven't even had it a year yet and still owe money on it. I don't know what is going on. if anyone finds out please let me know!! I'm about to Chuck it out a window.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Mine does this too. it's quite infuriating. I haven't even had it a year yet and still owe money on it. I don't know what is going on. if anyone finds out please let me know!! I'm about to Chuck it out a window.

Contact Google support through the settings, help and support menu.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
This ^^^^^
It stopped happening when I moved to P except it happened again DP3. No screen protector on my phone

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If something isn't blocking the proximity sensor, (something as simple as a dirty screen could do it) then it's almost certain to be a hardware issue. The time to find that out is while it's still under warranty!

Use AndroSensor, or a similar app, to test the proximity sensor. Make sure the screen is squeaky clean first so you don't get a false reading.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci