08-22-2018 06:39 AM
60 123
tools
    Sometimes during a call, my screen will go completely black and I can't do anything with it. The call is still connected but I have to ask the other party to end the call. Once the call has ended the screen becomes usable again.

Has anyone else experienced this on their pixel 2 or 2 xl?

To be honest this is the only issue I have had with my phone. Mild blue tint, no black smear or crackling sound. Pretty much a perfect experience and this blank screen issue is random. Happened maybe half a dozen times since I got the phone in mid-November.
    01-07-2018 08:20 PM
    I think there was another thread about this. You should search for it.
    01-07-2018 08:51 PM
    Sometimes during a call, my screen will go completely black and I can't do anything with it. The call is still connected but I have to ask the other party to end the call. Once the call has ended the screen becomes usable again.

Has anyone else experienced this on their pixel 2 or 2 xl?

To be honest this is the only issue I have had with my phone. Mild blue tint, no black smear or crackling sound. Pretty much a perfect experience and this blank screen issue is random. Happened maybe half a dozen times since I got the phone in mid-November.
    It could be your screen protector interfering with the proximity sensor if you have one installed.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-07-2018 08:52 PM
    No screen protector. Only using a google live case
    01-07-2018 08:53 PM
    Sounds like a flaky proximity sensor to me. @GSDer, if you were thinking of my thread, my issue was the screen not lighting on incoming calls when I have a Bluetooth headset connected. That issue is resolved with uninstallation of updates to the phone app.
    01-07-2018 08:55 PM
    @GSDer, if you were thinking of my thread, my issue was the screen not lighting on incoming calls when I have a Bluetooth headset connected. That issue is resolved with uninstallation of updates to the phone app.
    No, I thought I had come across a separate thread about black screen during calls not going away when you move the phone away from your face (a typical proximity sensor issue) but it's good to know that your issue was resolved; thanks for the update!
    01-07-2018 10:12 PM
    My wife’s does the same thing. I can set it on the table initiate the call and a half second later goes blank. Can’t even hang up a call. Had to activate the power button to end a call.

Now it does have a screen protector but it’s glass not sure how it would mess up the proximity sensor
    01-10-2018 08:16 PM
    My wife’s does the same thing. I can set it on the table initiate the call and a half second later goes blank. Can’t even hang up a call. Had to activate the power button to end a call.

Now it does have a screen protector but it’s glass not sure how it would mess up the proximity sensor
    I have seen several reports where a glass screen protector that worked perfectly fine with 8.0 didn't work well with 8.1.
    01-10-2018 10:24 PM
    I have seen several reports where a glass screen protector that worked perfectly fine with 8.0 didn't work well with 8.1.
    It’s quite possible. I found out a possible fix, was the removal of prior updates to the dialer app seemed to resolve said issue.
    Kirstein Gourlay likes this.
    01-10-2018 10:25 PM
    It’s quite possible. I found out a possible fix, was the removal of prior updates to the dialer app seemed to resolve said issue.
    Yes, that's worked for some. There are evidently a number of similar issues/resolutions as evidenced by topics on Google's Pixel User Community forum.
    01-10-2018 10:44 PM
    Yes, that's worked for some. There are evidently a number of similar issues/resolutions as evidenced by topics on Google's Pixel User Community forum.
    I’ll have to check it out
    01-10-2018 10:59 PM
    Update. Took the updates off and still nothing. Still goes dark
    01-13-2018 02:22 PM
    I received an update yesterday for Pixel Ambient Services. Check your Play Store and see if you have that update pending or if it was installed. Maybe that will help?
    01-13-2018 02:43 PM
    I received an update yesterday for Pixel Ambient Services. Check your Play Store and see if you have that update pending or if it was installed. Maybe that will help?
    I believe that app is associated with Now Playing
    01-13-2018 06:47 PM
    For whatever it's worth. We had two problems: (a) the screen would dim very quickly even when the phone was flat on a desk. Problem solved by cleaning the screen protector. (b) Even after this, the screen would go dark when making a phone call. Solved the problem by removing and re-inserting the screen protector (it's not one of those peel off ones).
    02-01-2018 11:39 AM
    My wife's P2XL is doing the same thing. Zaag glass screen protector, had the earlier Jan phone update and today I installed the Jan 31update same issue

As soon as her new screen protector comes in I'll try it w/o to see it that is a contributing factor

Rick
    02-01-2018 09:00 PM
    Zaag glass screen protector
    Does that screen protector have the little cutout for the proximity sensor?

I can't keep track of what everyone is sporting - do you also have a Pixel 2 XL? If so, does it also have the same Zaag glass screen protector?
    02-02-2018 12:06 AM
    I ordered a new screen protector for my wife so I can pull of the glass and see if it fixes it.
    02-02-2018 12:18 AM
    So I just got a new tempered glass for my wife’s pixel. I took the old one off wiped down the screen and made a test call and perfection.

I then laid the new one on top and made a test call and perfect too. So then I finally adhered it to the screen and still good.

Maybe she had too much foundation or other makeup gunk on old one for it to function. Just because the new and old one have the exact same cut outs.
    02-02-2018 03:57 PM
    Had an incoming call while I was driving and screen remained black. I only knew who it was by the custom ringtone. Since driving I did not answer but sheesh, hope this isn't going to be a thing. The proximity sensor has always been fine but this is something quite different anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    02-02-2018 06:46 PM
    I just started having this issue also only when driving which is only when I am connected to BT for hands free. Dialer just updated. I will test tomorrow BT connected and not connected.
    02-02-2018 09:02 PM
    Had an incoming call while I was driving and screen remained black.
    Were you connected to Bluetooth?
    02-02-2018 09:07 PM
    I just started having this issue also only when driving which is only when I am connected to BT for hands free. Dialer just updated. I will test tomorrow BT connected and not connected.
    Mine was sitting in the cupholder, not connected to BT. Heard he callers custom ringtone, looked down and black screen. WTF I say.
    02-02-2018 09:08 PM
    My issue is only on my wifes P2XL. Zaag glass screen protector

Yes the screen protector has a half moon dip right in the middle at the top, just below the speaker

Rick
    02-02-2018 09:25 PM
    Hey all,

New ZAAG glass came in today, took off the old one and tested the phone. Never went black when starting calls, does go black when held to my ear but turns back on after removing it. Works like it should

I then covered the prox sensor with my thumb and made a call, instantly went black.

When I installed the new screen protector, I made sure it was positioned as far south as possible and all seems to be well

WAF is way up

Rick
    02-09-2018 08:03 PM
60 123