XL2 has a curved screen.

shaunps33

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but has anyone else noticed that the screen on the XL 2 curves down around the side bezels ever so slightly? Not nearly to the degree as a Galaxy phone, but definitely noticable when you look at the phone from the side at an oblique angle.

Very subtle design choice to say the least.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup, covered in many a screen protector review as it impacts (no pun intended) the ability of the protector to adhere properly on the curved edges.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but has anyone else noticed that the screen on the XL 2 curves down around the side bezels ever so slightly? Not nearly to the degree as a Galaxy phone, but definitely noticable when you look at the phone from the side at an oblique angle.

Very subtle design choice to say the least.

Yes we are all aware of it....the difference from a Galaxy though is that it's only the glass that's curved and not the screen.

shaunps33

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
It's the screen too. Not just the glass

Open something like Gmail, or even this comment page will do. Look at the phone from the side like your looking at the SIM tray and notice how far past 180° you can see the screen. Or even just real close along the edge and notice how the glare distorts before it hits the bezel. The screen is clearly curved. Albeit very slightly, say > .5mm, but it's there.

As for using screen protectors...those are for nerds. And as for reading reviews of screen protectors...that's just beyond the pale.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's the screen too. Not just the glass

Open something like Gmail, or even this comment page will do. Look at the phone from the side like your looking at the SIM tray and notice how far past 180° you can see the screen. Or even just real close along the edge and notice how the glare distorts before it hits the bezel. The screen is clearly curved. Albeit very slightly, say > .5mm, but it's there.

As for using screen protectors...those are for nerds. And as for reading reviews of screen protectors...that's just beyond the pale.

I don't think so.... Seems to me like the glass is creating the illusion like it does but it seems to me that the LCD stops at the Curve. I'll have to go back and look at the iFixit teardown and see if they took the glass off the screen. If it is truly curved as you say it's not even noticeable unless we're splitting hairs

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@Mike Dee This appears to be the best picture from that teardown showing the screen/glass relationship. It's actually hard to tell if the screen is curved but you CAN see it doesn't go to the edge of the glass.

4BnodJGBcs26vcdh.huge

Something else to keep in mind - there's a SMALL black border on the sides also...