Buy from Google Play Store or Verizon Store?

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So I want to replace my iPhone 6 128GB backup phone (main phone is Note 8) and I'm thinking I'll buy a Pixel 2 to do so. I have a Verizon plan with various devices on it....Note 8, iPhone 6, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, (2) Wi-Fi hotspots/Jetpacks.....I will want to replace the iPhone 6 that is at its end of contract and 'upgrade eligible'.
I need to decide...do I buy it from Google and get a SIM from VZW or may be take the SIM out of my iPhone 6?? Or do I buy the Pixel 2 from VZW? I believe the Pixel 2 will come unlocked from Google with an electronic Fi SIM in it...Can I just put a Verizon SIM in it?
I think I'd rather do that if it will keep the phone more bloatware uncluttered...if I buy from Verizon I have to wait for all their updates right??
Input appreciated....I use this second phone mostly for Waze and as a camera and the iPhone 6 has been just crippled with the new updates....I don't really see that it's worth the hassle or $29 of getting a new battery when the phone is outdated...Plan was to get an iPhone 8 may be, but there just wasn't enough reason...the iPhone X is bigger than I want for a second phone with the big Note 8 already....so do I buy the Pixel 2 from Google or from VZW??

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In this case you get updates same time if it's Verizon or Google version. Only difference is Google one is bootloader unlocked and Verizon is not. I don't like dealing with carriers or anything they sell other than service so mostly I buy non carrier if I have the option.
But in this case doesn't matter that much since there isn't any carrier specific crippled firmware on Pixel.
So if bootloader unlocking doesn't matter, buy from Verizon or Google based on your preference.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So I want to replace my iPhone 6 128GB backup phone (main phone is Note 8) and I'm thinking I'll buy a Pixel 2 to do so. I have a Verizon plan with various devices on it....Note 8, iPhone 6, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, (2) Wi-Fi hotspots/Jetpacks.....I will want to replace the iPhone 6 that is at its end of contract and 'upgrade eligible'.
I need to decide...do I buy it from Google and get a SIM from VZW or may be take the SIM out of my iPhone 6?? Or do I buy the Pixel 2 from VZW? I believe the Pixel 2 will come unlocked from Google with an electronic Fi SIM in it...Can I just put a Verizon SIM in it?
I think I'd rather do that if it will keep the phone more bloatware uncluttered...if I buy from Verizon I have to wait for all their updates right??
Input appreciated....I use this second phone mostly for Waze and as a camera and the iPhone 6 has been just crippled with the new updates....I don't really see that it's worth the hassle or $29 of getting a new battery when the phone is outdated...Plan was to get an iPhone 8 may be, but there just wasn't enough reason...the iPhone X is bigger than I want for a second phone with the big Note 8 already....so do I buy the Pixel 2 from Google or from VZW??
You could get the Google version and slap a SIM in it if you wanted.

If you have Verizon I'd personally just go through Verizon. That's what I did. The only difference is the bootloader is locked on the Verizon one so doing custom ROMs and such are a no go.. but other then that they're identical.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So if I buy from Google, the bootloader is unlocked... Does that allow me easier for access if I wanted or just custom ROMs?

Looks like if I want to trade in my iPhone 6, Verizon makes me pay for the phone over 12 or 24 months, but with Google I can trade it in and still buy the phone outright and get some money back on the trade once they inspect it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So if I buy from Google, the bootloader is unlocked... Does that allow me easier for access if I wanted or just custom ROMs?

Looks like if I want to trade in my iPhone 6, Verizon makes me pay for the phone over 12 or 24 months, but with Google I can trade it in and still buy the phone outright and get some money back on the trade once they inspect it.

It just allows for rooting and ROM usage. If you don't do that then there isn't a difference in the models and they'll function the same.

Just do whoever gives you the best deal. You'll have the same network experience with both versions.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It just allows for rooting and ROM usage. If you don't do that then there isn't a difference in the models and they'll function the same.

Just do whoever gives you the best deal. You'll have the same network experience with both versions.
If I would like to be able to get root access and use the Pixel 2 on Verizon, which version do I order from Google? Do I order their unlocked version and go to Verizon to get a sim, or do I order the Verizon version from Google where they include a Verizon sim? If I do the ladder will I still have an unlocked bootloader and be able to get root easily? Thanks for the information!

aalupatti

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If I would like to be able to get root access and use the Pixel 2 on Verizon, which version do I order from Google? Do I order their unlocked version and go to Verizon to get a sim, or do I order the Verizon version from Google where they include a Verizon sim? If I do the ladder will I still have an unlocked bootloader and be able to get root easily? Thanks for the information!
No doubt get it from play store...also the customer service from Google is amazing....they have replaced few of my devices in the past for no fees, like broken screen, battery issues after expiring warranty etc.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

With the unlocked you can use the SIM from your current phone. You don't have to get a new SIM if you don't want to.

If you have the Google version you can root / unlock the bootloader. The Verizon variant you can't. So it really depends if you're going to root.

I personally don't care about root or the bootloader so I just went through Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar