01-17-2018 08:35 AM
50 12
tools
    Hello all.

I am a chronic phone switcher and my mouth was salivating the moment Apple announced the iPhone X. I finally upgraded to one on my birthday in December. 64 gb silver. I liked it. It was ok.

But then I saw what the pixel could do. I was a little thrown off by the screen issues (they don't bother me as much as some tech reviewers). So I stayed away for a minute.

There are two things that I loathed on the iPhone X that made me jump switch to a Google pixel 2 xl black 128 gb (even trade - good deal or nah ?). Those are:

The camera & the notch.

Say what you want but the notch is ugly and I could not get over it. Face ID was cool - but at the end of the day I don't care and am content with a finger print sensor.

The camera on the X is not all it's cracked up to be. Portrait mode in my opinion on Apple products is garbage.

This is day 2 with my pixel and I have already taken some amazing shots. I am obsessed.

Hopefully the feeling stays after the honeymoon phase.
    01-09-2018 01:37 PM
    Nice!
    I don't know if the trade was even or not but the main reason I have been with the Pixel series is the HDR+ magic Google does with it's machine learning algorithm for pictures. I had the S8, G6, Note 8, V30, iPhone 8+ and X along with the Pixel. There is effectively no comparison when it comes to still photography. I am waiting to try out the Mate 10 Pro just for giggles - had the Mate 9 which had a very good camera as well.

I like the Pixel so much I have the 2 and 2XL - one on the main line and one for the spare phone line.
    01-09-2018 01:51 PM
    Not sure why they did the notch - maybe to put the notification icons up top and the speaker at the same level? The photos I have seen from iPhones are just as good as the Pixels. I suppose if one was a pro they would notice some differences, it is so close and more of a matter of preferance, I could not see it as a reason to switch phone platforms.

I hear the facial recognition works well, but I would rather have a figure print sensor on the screen.

I have always been and Android guy, but most of my friends and family have iPhones and they would never give it up mostly because of brand loyalty and iMessage. My daughter, in 9th grade, would ostracized if she had anything other than an iPhone. That is serious branding power.

I probably will never own an Apple product, but I do own lots of their stock.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-09-2018 04:57 PM
    I just switched back to Android from Apple opting for the Pixel 2 XL for my personal device. My preference for work devices is Samsung Notes.

I did read all about the issues beforehand with the pixel, so to be perfectly honest, when I ordered it, my intent was to use for a week or so, then return. That would be enough to satisfy my itch for change. Or would it???

Well I can confidently say, i made a HUGE mistake believing the reviews about how poor the display was, how outdated the design is, and issues with speakers.

This device has changed my view of very low expectations, to this device is a beast! Camera aside as that has been well documented.

The display. Although not quite Samsung level. It is not nearly as bad as the press made it out to be. In fact, the saturated mode for those who want/like it will be pleased. But for me natural/boosted is more than adequate. The blue tint? Yeah it's there when you look for it. Outside of that, you'd never know. I do lay my phone down on my desk to use and still can't notice the tint.

Now about that outdated design. Seriously??? I much prefer the front panel design over the iPhone X. The speakers and screen layout although not completely edge to edge, are tastefully done. Yup the Note 8 wins in the display styling department. By a smidge or two. However the Pixel 2 XL holds it's own. Would you believe I received compliments from people asking what phone I have?? It's true! The rear of the device is pleasing. I chose the Panda version so to me that takes the prize against all competition. The feel of the device is great and fingerprint/camera placement is where you'd want and expect them to be.

Now about the software. So much is said about the iOS experience. Well move over because the PURE Android experience is more than comparable. This software is fast and buttery SMOOTH. Please Google don't mess that up with your future updates! I tip my hat to Google for making the transfer of information from my iPhone to pixel XL trouble free. Not perfect.

Last point I'll make about the phone is the battery. Unfortunately, no wireless charging but you get outstanding life. You play hard with this device, and can be relaxed knowing it sips battery juice. Obviously, results will vary, but for the majority of pixel owners, this will never be an issue.

There is much more to rave about when it comes to the Pixel 2 XL than what I have mentioned. Yes, for an Apple user I miss iMessage but that's about it. I am still Apple invested which, won't change. This device has clearly won me over even with the low expectations I had, initially. No, It isn't the device for everyone especially those who prefer manufacturer skins and apps beyond vanilla Android. One thing is certain, the Pixel 2 XL will keep it's owners completely satisfied and smiling whenever in use.

Anyone on the fence about whether or not they should take a chance on the Pixel 2 XL? I say try it, you just may like it. A lot!

People will be hard pressed to find a better jack of all trades, smartphone.
    01-09-2018 05:09 PM
    I love it. And the battery life is insane so far !!!
    01-09-2018 09:41 PM
    Welcome to the Dark Side! The Force is with you!
    01-09-2018 10:26 PM
    Not sure why they did the notch - maybe to put the notification icons up top and the speaker at the same level? The photos I have seen from iPhones are just as good as the Pixels. I suppose if one was a pro they would notice some differences, it is so close and more of a matter of preferance, I could not see it as a reason to switch phone platforms.

I hear the facial recognition works well, but I would rather have a figure print sensor on the screen.

I have always been and Android guy, but most of my friends and family have iPhones and they would never give it up mostly because of brand loyalty and iMessage. My daughter, in 9th grade, would ostracized if she had anything other than an iPhone. That is serious branding power.

I probably will never own an Apple product, but I do own lots of their stock.
    There is a big difference in pictures between the two phone so when you were taking pictures that would normally be hard to take such as those with light coming in through windows and such. The dynamic range on the pixel this just so much better.
    manni1to likes this.
    01-09-2018 10:31 PM
    I run an iDevice and droid and have the iPhone X and P2XL currently.

I do not mind the notch and whilst portrait mode/lighting is still in beta the camera in general is very good, face ID is also excellent and I do really like how passive it is. I do not however like the gestures at all, app switching is just awkward as is force closing apps (although I think that apple wants to stop people doing that) also do not like not being able to see the battery % in the status bar (serioiusly apple??)

I am using the Pixel right now and have been for a while. There is no doubt that even though I have a good one the blue tint is still obvious vs. the iPhone but overall I just prefer using the pixel (although tbh I prefer a lot about the V30 that I still have not sold!) iOS has improved but it is imo still dated in so many areas e.g. I wonder why they even bother with wallpapers as you are forced to cover up any wallpaper you would want with those big icons or folders.
    01-10-2018 02:53 AM
    There is a big difference in pictures between the two phone so when you were taking pictures that would normally be hard to take such as those with light coming in through windows and such. The dynamic range on the pixel this just so much better.
    I agree with this. Pictures on the pixel just turn out better. The X camera is good. But not AS good.
    01-10-2018 03:24 AM
    Hello all.

I am a chronic phone switcher and my mouth was salivating the moment Apple announced the iPhone X. I finally upgraded to one on my birthday in December. 64 gb silver. I liked it. It was ok.

But then I saw what the pixel could do. I was a little thrown off by the screen issues (they don't bother me as much as some tech reviewers). So I stayed away for a minute.

There are two things that I loathed on the iPhone X that made me jump switch to a Google pixel 2 xl black 128 gb (even trade - good deal or nah ?). Those are:

The camera & the notch.

Say what you want but the notch is ugly and I could not get over it. Face ID was cool - but at the end of the day I don't care and am content with a finger print sensor.

The camera on the X is not all it's cracked up to be. Portrait mode in my opinion on Apple products is garbage.

This is day 2 with my pixel and I have already taken some amazing shots. I am obsessed.

Hopefully the feeling stays after the honeymoon phase.
    I was wary about the Pixel 2 XL myself from the reports of screen problems and yes, I was wary of the camera. I had the original Pixel XL and the camera, more often than not, would take cloudy, fuzzy or "halo effect" photos. I can truthfully say the Pixel 2 XL has taken breathtaking photos and rarely do I run into a bad photo.
    01-10-2018 03:06 PM
    I just switched back to Android from Apple opting for the Pixel 2 XL for my personal device. My preference for work devices is Samsung Notes.

I did read all about the issues beforehand with the pixel, so to be perfectly honest, when I ordered it, my intent was to use for a week or so, then return. That would be enough to satisfy my itch for change. Or would it???

Well I can confidently say, i made a HUGE mistake believing the reviews about how poor the display was, how outdated the design is, and issues with speakers.

This device has changed my view of very low expectations, to this device is a beast! Camera aside as that has been well documented.

The display. Although not quite Samsung level. It is not nearly as bad as the press made it out to be. In fact, the saturated mode for those who want/like it will be pleased. But for me natural/boosted is more than adequate. The blue tint? Yeah it's there when you look for it. Outside of that, you'd never know. I do lay my phone down on my desk to use and still can't notice the tint.

Now about that outdated design. Seriously??? I much prefer the front panel design over the iPhone X. The speakers and screen layout although not completely edge to edge, are tastefully done. Yup the Note 8 wins in the display styling department. By a smidge or two. However the Pixel 2 XL holds it's own. Would you believe I received compliments from people asking what phone I have?? It's true! The rear of the device is pleasing. I chose the Panda version so to me that takes the prize against all competition. The feel of the device is great and fingerprint/camera placement is where you'd want and expect them to be.

Now about the software. So much is said about the iOS experience. Well move over because the PURE Android experience is more than comparable. This software is fast and buttery SMOOTH. Please Google don't mess that up with your future updates! I tip my hat to Google for making the transfer of information from my iPhone to pixel XL trouble free. Not perfect.

Last point I'll make about the phone is the battery. Unfortunately, no wireless charging but you get outstanding life. You play hard with this device, and can be relaxed knowing it sips battery juice. Obviously, results will vary, but for the majority of pixel owners, this will never be an issue.

There is much more to rave about when it comes to the Pixel 2 XL than what I have mentioned. Yes, for an Apple user I miss iMessage but that's about it. I am still Apple invested which, won't change. This device has clearly won me over even with the low expectations I had, initially. No, It isn't the device for everyone especially those who prefer manufacturer skins and apps beyond vanilla Android. One thing is certain, the Pixel 2 XL will keep it's owners completely satisfied and smiling whenever in use.

Anyone on the fence about whether or not they should take a chance on the Pixel 2 XL? I say try it, you just may like it. A lot!

People will be hard pressed to find a better jack of all trades, smartphone.
    Like you, I love the NOTE but I tried out a Pixel 2 XL a few weeks ago and have yet to go back to my Note. The Camera is not overrated...it is tremendously good. I do miss my S-Pen but it isn't worth leaving the experience of the Pixel 2 XL.
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    01-10-2018 03:14 PM
    I too came from the iPhone X and previously the iPhone 8 Plus and am more than impressed with the Pixel. I originally preordered the Pixel but cancelled it after a few days, deciding to go for the X instead. I got the X and for a day or two I thought it was magical and then I realized it was just another iPhone with a notch and more annoying way to unlock it. I hated having to look at it to unlock or to pay for something and the asinine things you had to do to turn the phone off or reset it. Apple seems to be at a loss when it comes to buttons lately. The home button is gone, but before it wasn't even a button. Now the Siri button is the power button so if you ever need to hard reset you have to put in the damn Konami code with the volume and power buttons, it's ridiculous. Additionally, the camera did NOT impress me at all. I took a few pics and thought "Oh, it's like my 7..." and then kind of stopped until I sold it. With the Pixel, I take 10-20 a day just because they look so good. iOS, to me, has become more schizophrenic with some apps filling up the screen nicely and some having severe issues with formatting like Safari. In many websites the drop down menus don't work right or clicking on a form to fill in can be an adventure as the touch screen seems to not know where the form starts and ends. Finally, battery life was not very good on the X. Idk if it was me, or if more people are having the same problems but I was lucky to get through my work day before plugging in. With the Pixel I can usually make it to the end of the day with 30% left and I would categorize myself as a very heavy user. To me all of these things make the Pixel better. I don't miss iMessage at all because I share photos and videos with Google Photos and video chat and message with WhatsApp. I just feel like Apple is finally going to start going downhill with iOS and the iPhone and that the X was a miss for them compared to previous upheavals of the design in the phone.
    01-10-2018 03:15 PM
    I too came from the iPhone X and previously the iPhone 8 Plus and am more than impressed with the Pixel. I originally preordered the Pixel but cancelled it after a few days, deciding to go for the X instead. I got the X and for a day or two I thought it was magical and then I realized it was just another iPhone with a notch and more annoying way to unlock it. I hated having to look at it to unlock or to pay for something and the asinine things you had to do to turn the phone off or reset it. Apple seems to be at a loss when it comes to buttons lately. The home button is gone, but before it wasn't even a button. Now the Siri button is the power button so if you ever need to hard reset you have to put in the damn Konami code with the volume and power buttons, it's ridiculous. Additionally, the camera did NOT impress me at all. I took a few pics and thought "Oh, it's like my 7..." and then kind of stopped until I sold it. With the Pixel, I take 10-20 a day just because they look so good. iOS, to me, has become more schizophrenic with some apps filling up the screen nicely and some having severe issues with formatting like Safari. In many websites the drop down menus don't work right or clicking on a form to fill in can be an adventure as the touch screen seems to not know where the form starts and ends. Finally, battery life was not very good on the X. Idk if it was me, or if more people are having the same problems but I was lucky to get through my work day before plugging in. With the Pixel I can usually make it to the end of the day with 30% left and I would categorize myself as a very heavy user. To me all of these things make the Pixel better. I don't miss iMessage at all because I share photos and videos with Google Photos and video chat and message with WhatsApp. I just feel like Apple is finally going to start going downhill with iOS and the iPhone and that the X was a miss for them compared to previous upheavals of the design in the phone.
    Crazy to see you do a 180. I remember your post on iMore where you said the iPhone was better at things + better camera :P.
    anon(5630457) and DMP89145 like this.
    01-10-2018 04:28 PM
    I agree.

Also, the iPhone X blows out the highlights, which is irritating and just looks terrible.
    01-10-2018 04:36 PM
    I agree.

Also, the iPhone X blows out the highlights, which is irritating and just looks terrible.
    Waiting for the day you switch back to the X lol. Maybe by then I’ll be using the pixel ha.
    01-10-2018 04:41 PM
    Waiting for the day you switch back to the X lol. Maybe by then I’ll be using the pixel ha.
    Not gonna happen. The Pixel 2 XL is so much better than the X.
    verks likes this.
    01-10-2018 04:43 PM
    My man.
    I gotta screenshot this one for posterity's sake!
    popkurn611 likes this.
    01-10-2018 05:04 PM
    My man.
    I gotta screenshot this one for posterity's sake!
    Lol thanks. 😂
    01-10-2018 05:06 PM
    I agree.

That's kind of what I meant.
    anon(5630457) likes this.
    01-10-2018 05:48 PM
    Crazy to see you do a 180. I remember your post on iMore where you said the iPhone was better at things + better camera :P.
    Yeah I think that was during the honey moon phase lol I still think the Pixel's camera is weird, like I don't get the picture I think I'm taking but that's a good thing. Machine learning is also awesome.
    01-10-2018 06:00 PM
    I thought exactly the same...
    01-10-2018 06:06 PM
    Tried a 2 XL, now back to the iPhone X.

Camera on the Pixel is better, iPhone blows out the highlights sometimes.
    Blue tint on Pixel didn't bother me but no way the screen is as good as the X.
    Notch doesn't bother me.
    I found battery life to be similar on both, maybe a little better on the X.

Both are good phones, it just depends on your preferences. I didn't want to give up iMessaging and just found my life simpler to remain in Apple ecosystem. Not sure which I would choose if I never owned a phone before or was coming from Windows, Blackberry, etc.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-10-2018 06:06 PM
    Going to save this post so I can quote ya when it comes that time :-)
    DMP89145 and dmark44 like this.
    01-10-2018 07:01 PM
    Yeah I think that was during the honey moon phase lol I still think the Pixel's camera is weird, like I don't get the picture I think I'm taking but that's a good thing. Machine learning is also awesome.
    I thought you went from the X to the pixel and back to the x? Thought I saw you over in iMore saying that. Can’t keep up with everyone including myself! One day I say I’m keeping the X the next I want a pixel. Had the pixel 2 XL and went back to my X. Just don’t know what to do! It’s a constant back and forth
    DMP89145 likes this.
    01-10-2018 07:07 PM
    I thought you went from the X to the pixel and back to the x? Thought I saw you over in iMore saying that. Can’t keep up with everyone including myself! One day I say I’m keeping the X the next I want a pixel. Had the pixel 2 XL and went back to my X. Just don’t know what to do! It’s a constant back and forth
    Yeah I did flip flop a few times but decided to just sell the iPhone and haven't looked back. My Sister in law has one now and her pictures can't stack up to mine.
    01-10-2018 07:09 PM
50 12