06-12-2018 05:08 AM
51 123
tools
    It's never been an issue for me, but it has been for many people whose accidents I responded to. "I was using a hands-free" is, to me, an admission of "I wasn't paying attention to traffic".
    Distracted driving is still distracted driving regardless of the distraction. I believe in New Jersey it's against the law to eat or drink while driving.
    01-11-2018 06:47 PM
    There are shows I enjoy listening to on Sirius/XM. Most of my listening is through HD Radio on my car's radio, second is Spotify, and third is S/XM. I'd like to have the option of listening to whatever I want, when I want. Auto doesn't allow that.

I spoke with Google Support. The only way for Assistant to read texts out to me while driving is for me to ask it to do so. The only other option is to find a third party app. I'd rather not do that, so for now I'll try asking Assistant.
    What do you have against third party apps? Good ones are what kind of make or break a platform in many ways
    01-11-2018 06:58 PM
    Not at all true; many studies have proven this fact.
    What studies?

With AA, my phone stays in my pocket. I don't touch it or look at it. I can put it in the back seat. My eyes don't have to leave the road.

How is this any different than talking to a passenger.

I have to take my eyes off the road to change my climate control. How is that safer?
    01-11-2018 07:02 PM
    What do you have against third party apps? Good ones are what kind of make or break a platform in many ways

I don't have anything against third party apps. I use them. I was just hoping Assistant would be able to handle this task as well as Moto did. It seems like a simple request. For now I'll test out asking Assistant to read them out to me and see how that goes. If that doesn't work out I'll try a third party app.

Regarding the other topic of discussion, my question in the OP wasn't whether or not I should use voice texting while driving. I do. The question was how best to achieve this goal. I appreciate the constructive replies and suggestions.
    01-11-2018 07:24 PM
    What studies?

For example: http://www.nsc.org/DistractedDriving...hite-Paper.pdf
    01-12-2018 07:47 AM
    Cognitive distraction, those who suffer this while using hands free also suffer with just talking to a passenger.

Some are better than others.

My wife, when hands free, will lose focus of the road over the conversation. I will lose focus of the conversation over the road.

Not everyone is the same.
    01-12-2018 09:08 AM
    Cognitive distraction, those who suffer this while using hands free also suffer with just talking to a passenger.

Some are better than others.

My wife, when hands free, will lose focus of the road over the conversation. I will lose focus of the conversation over the road.

Not everyone is the same.
    You believe that, I am sure.

But, science says otherwise. Humans, for the most part, find it difficult to not act as humans do despite their best attempts to do otherwise.
    01-12-2018 01:13 PM
    Mod Note

I think we are getting a tad bit off-topic. If you want to debate the science of distracted driving I suggest making a post about it in the General Discussion area or something of that nature.
    01-12-2018 01:17 PM
    Mod Note

I think we are getting a tad bit off-topic. If you want to debate the science of distracted driving I suggest making a post about it in the General Discussion area or something of that nature.
    Thank you.

I'm looking for recommendations for third party apps in case I don't like asking Assistant to speak up.
    01-12-2018 01:57 PM
    Thank you.

I'm looking for recommendations for third party apps in case I don't like asking Assistant to speak up.
    With Android auto it will prompt you if you want the message to be read and it will do the same for reply..... That won't work for you?
    01-12-2018 04:19 PM
    With Android auto it will prompt you if you want the message to be read and it will do the same for reply..... That won't work for you?
    Android Auto is my last option because it prevents me from opening apps not supported by it, like Sirius/XM. If Auto was compatible with Sirius, I'd be all in.
    01-12-2018 04:29 PM
    Android Auto is my last option because it prevents me from opening apps not supported by it, like Sirius/XM. If Auto was compatible with Sirius, I'd be all in.
    That's right...I forgot
    01-12-2018 05:26 PM
    That's right...I forgot
    01-12-2018 05:27 PM
    I've been using Android Auto for the last couple of days. I agree that it is easy to use. I do wish that there was a verbal prompt from the system asking if I would like to have an incoming text read aloud. Instead there is a visual prompt with a button to have it read out. It works as is, but it would be better if I didn't need to look at the phone at all.

I had navigation and Spotify running through Auto this afternoon. The navigation got hung up for a minute and then the phone rebooted. After the reboot was complete I had to turn on Auto manually. It didn't come on automatically with Bluetooth as it usually does. After I started Auto, I no longer received any prompts when texts came in. Hopefully that will resolve itself.
    01-19-2018 05:34 PM
    I've been using Android Auto for the last couple of days. I agree that it is easy to use. I do wish that there was a verbal prompt from the system asking if I would like to have an incoming text read aloud. Instead there is a visual prompt with a button to have it read out. It works as is, but it would be better if I didn't need to look at the phone at all.
    Agreed. This is also one of my gripes with Android Auto.

That and while you are on the phone while navigating the navigation takes a back seat to the phone call too much.
    01-19-2018 07:50 PM
    Sirius/XM updated their app. It is now compatible with Android Auto. Their app had always lagged behind when it came to updates. This is a big one! Of course I just got a car with S/XM built in with a free trial for one year.

I've been using Android Auto for a few weeks and I do like the simplicity of it. I still wish it was on my dash so I didn't have to mount my phone, but it mostly does what I need it to do.
    03-02-2018 06:50 AM
    The Drivemode app will tell you you've received a text, ask it you want it read, and allow to respond with your voice all without touching your phone (which you have to to with Android Auto). It allows for auto launch with vehicle motion or bluetooth connection. There is a small one-time fee to remove their sig from outgoing messages. I've tried lot of these and this one has worked best for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    GSDer likes this.
    03-02-2018 08:22 AM
    The Drivemode app will tell you you've received a text, ask it you want it read, and allow to respond with your voice all without touching your phone (which you have to to with Android Auto). It allows for auto launch with vehicle motion or bluetooth connection. There is a small one-time fee to remove their sig from outgoing messages. I've tried lot of these and this one has worked best for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en
    Does it allow you to use a specific BT device as a trigger? I know I tried one that triggered when BT was connected, regardless of which BT device it was. I have a smart watch, so my phone is always connected to something via BT.
    03-02-2018 01:36 PM
    Does it allow you to use a specific BT device as a trigger? I know I tried one that triggered when BT was connected, regardless of which BT device it was. I have a smart watch, so my phone is always connected to something via BT.
    Never mind. I tried it out. It does let you specify a BT device, but there are other issues for me.

I wish the Moto app was available outside of Motorola phones. The app was heard and not seen. It was perfect.
    03-03-2018 12:20 PM
    I use the app 'SMS, my Car and Me'. Awful name but an excellent app. I have it set up so it starts when it detects my car's bluetooth. If I get a text it will read it out and if the sender is in my contacts it will send an auto-reply to say I'm driving and will respond later. It can also deal with WhatsApp messages and emails. Lots of options so you end up with something which precisely matches your needs.
    03-03-2018 05:00 PM
    I use the app 'SMS, my Car and Me'. Awful name but an excellent app. I have it set up so it starts when it detects my car's bluetooth. If I get a text it will read it out and if the sender is in my contacts it will send an auto-reply to say I'm driving and will respond later. It can also deal with WhatsApp messages and emails. Lots of options so you end up with something which precisely matches your needs.
    I believe I tried that one. I couldn't find the setting that would allow me to dictate a reply text.
    03-03-2018 05:48 PM
    I believe I tried that one. I couldn't find the setting that would allow me to dictate a reply text.
    Touchless Notifications Free https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fications.free apparently (I haven't tried it myself) lets you dictate a response. The only downside I saw in the demo video was that after you dictate the message you have to long-press in your messaging app to paste the text into it.
    03-06-2018 11:59 AM
    I have the same issue as the OP. I had a Moto X Pure and the Moto app for driving was second to none, absolutely amazing. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and can't have the same capability, it's quite frustrating. AA doesn't work well at all, it enables Do Not Disturb for some reason on my phone and none of my messages are even heard. My requirement is that whatever app I use must be able to interrupt while I'm listening to the radio, like the Moto app was able to. AA wouldn't even work when I was in BT audio mode using Google Play Music. Android in general is subpar in this regard, in 2018 hands free with a BT head unit should be seamless. Currently I am using Read Text 2me and it is great for reading texts but it has no option to dictate one back, only allows predefined responses. Can anyone help myself and the OP figure out this issue? Thanks.
    04-03-2018 07:51 PM
    I've tried a bunch of different apps, but so far have been sticking to Android Auto. It's annoying that I need to take my eyes of the road to hit the play button in order to hear a message, but it's the best solution for me so far.

I also tried messageLOUD. I don't care for it, but you can give that one a try.
    04-03-2018 11:34 PM
    I've tried a bunch of different apps, but so far have been sticking to Android Auto. It's annoying that I need to take my eyes of the road to hit the play button in order to hear a message, but it's the best solution for me so far.

I also tried messageLOUD. I don't care for it, but you can give that one a try.
    Whenever I get a message notification when using Android Auto, I say "Hey Google, play message". It plays the latest message and then asks whether you want to reply or ignore. Say reply and you can dictate your message. Then it asks whether you want to change it or send it. Say send and it tells you "message sent"
    04-04-2018 01:47 PM
51 123